Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-11-2007, 23:29   #796
God Member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Right I went to the area council meeting and it was certainly packed out... not much was said about the renaming of the borough as it was supposedly discussed at the last meeting (oh and Britcliffe wasn't in attendance). However, we were given ballot papers to vote on the borough change and the results were counted during the rest of the meeting.

OVER 80% VOTED AGAINST THE NAME CHANGE

When announce a big cheer went up

Must admit was suprised at how much they discuss at these meetings, was just a shame the public didn't get to say as much as they would've liked due to over running!!!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-11-2007, 17:39   #797
Resting in Peace

Well done HR for going and your report .. hope to try and make the next one on December 4th, if I can get there for the early starting time...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2007, 18:19   #798
Resident Waffler

I heard an interview with PB on the radio prior to this meeting in Great Harwood and was gobsmacked at what he said. I can't quote him word for word but basically he was saying that if the vote in Harwood went in favour of the name change then the name change would go ahead as Great Harwood was regarded as THE place to test the feelings of the borough, but if the vote went against it that would not be the end of the matter.

In other words if it goes against what he wants he is going to keep pushing until the vote goes in his favour?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2007, 18:40   #799

PB wiil not rest until he has forced the vote through to change the borough in his favour. I wonder if he has now changed hs mind about Town Councils, now offering Great Harwood one, has not got the people who live in Great Harwood to back the name change. Maybe his promise of a refereundum will now not materialise, in case he looses the vote.

I seems to think he can bully and browbeat the entire borough to agree with him.

But the name change needs to have a 2/3rd.s majority of the councillors in favour to be passed.

The really sad (and annoying) think about this whole charade is that all the efforts of the controlling group are going into the proposed name change, when there is so many extremely important problems to be addressed. Especially the lack of affordable (and decent ) housing for so many people.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2007, 19:27   #800
God Member

I was amazed but there was no discussion at all about creating a Town Council, in fact it was only ever mentioned a couple of times in passing and that seemed tongue in cheek

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2007, 20:44   #801
God Member

I was an out of towner, 25 years in ramsbottom, and 8 in bury before that, but I always, even as a kid, new accrington for 'accy brick' and of course stanley, I never heard of Hyndburn untill I moved here 3 years ago, I am not sure why, but I have a dislike for the word Hyndburn.
derekgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2007, 21:08   #802
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
I am not sure why, but I have a dislike for the word Hyndburn.
Join the club, mate!
Old 23-11-2007, 21:16   #803
Resident Waffler

It's not about whether or not we like the sound of the word. We've been Hyndburn for 30 years. Changing it now will not benefit anyone in the area and despite what PB says it is bound to cost us money.

Old 23-11-2007, 21:21   #804
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
it is bound to cost us money.
So did the fireworks like last but most people appear to have liked them.
Old 23-11-2007, 21:26   #805
Resident Waffler

Yes but the fireworks had a point. They were pretty and brought people into the town centre to eat German sausages.

Old 23-11-2007, 22:50   #806
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

whilst i have always been in favour of reverting back to Accrington (still am) i think all the people of HYNDBURN, should be given a voice, it would cost buggar all to put the matter in abeyance and put a box on the slip at the next local elections. that to me is DEMOCRACY mr B.
Old 23-11-2007, 23:12   #807
Resident Waffler

Excellent post Cashy.

Old 23-11-2007, 23:32   #808
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thanks willow, seems only fair to me, wouldn't mind betting it will never happen though.
Old 30-11-2007, 16:02   #809

The Extraordinary Council Meeting to discuss the proposed name change of the borough is to be held at 6.00pm on Tuesday 4th December 2007.
Attached is a link to the agenda for the meeting and wording of the proposals to change the name and to establish local councils
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...nda_041207.pdf

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...ge_of_Name.pdf

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...l_Councils.pdf

Just doubled checked to make sure these links work.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 18:04   #810
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
whilst i have always been in favour of reverting back to Accrington (still am) .
Willow, Katex, do either of you want to take this or shall I?

For the umpteenth time - it is NOT reverting to Accrington, Accrington is, was and always will be Accrington. This is a completely NEW name for the borough!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..