Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-04-2013, 19:41   #91
Senior Member+

Re: Keeping Dead Industries Alive....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post

Sorry to interrupt this love in for the GSOB's
You didn't, did you?

Thread wander, OK let's get back to the serious, boring stuff.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-04-2013, 20:19   #92
I am Banned

[QUOTE=Gordon Booth;1053033]You didn't, did you?

QUOTE]
In reality didn't and wasn't Mr B

Boring... here's a boring comparitor....
In 1981 3.7 million households lacked or had to share either an inside toilet or bath, By 1991 less than 300,000 did.
Make of that what you will.

Plenty of places store all that coal if it was still available?
That's without having to take into consideration all the coyle oils that have been converted into pit-bull terriers kennels as per up Woodnook
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 20:24   #93

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Some figures here augmenting my suggestion that the mining industry was in terminal decline and even more jobs were lost before Thatcher came to power.
Around a million jobs vanished between 1920 and 1980.
More than 300,000 coal mining jobs disappeared during the period between the 1960's and 70's.
Margaret T was the coal industries most visible foe but not the one who lost it the most jobs.

100% agree with those figures, as technology advances the need for human interaction reduces, one guy with a power drill will make a hole a darn sight faster than a few guys with picks..nobody is disputing the need for streamlining the workforce..I'm disputing the need to dismantle a whole industry based on unsound short term economic reasons and a bar brawl between a barmy politician and a barmy union leader
Eric likes this.
Old 13-04-2013, 21:01   #94
Senior Member+

We spend all this time discussing, arguing, falling out about the past.
It's past, we can't change it. Our old industries are dead.
Wouldn't we be better discussing, arguing and falling out about the way foreward? It would still be pointless, those in power will never listen but-

Start fracking as much and as quickly as possible with contracts which say all gas produced is for sale in the UK only at prices agreed by the Government- no price agree, no contract. A side benefit- jobs for Lancashire.
Tell the power companies if they don't build nuclear power stations PDQ we'll put a surtax on them and build our own.If they put prices up above world prices to cover the surtax we'll hit them again.
We still have some good science and technology companies- give them tax benefits and grants and push them foreward hard.Encourage others to come here.
Do the same with the medical companies.
Put money into the industries the Chinese and other cheap labour countries can't match.
We own the banks- start acting like it! Bonuses are paid on results, after results, not just because you're there.In shares! If you mess up in the future your share bonus won't be worth as much. If you don't like it- go,there are plenty of young bloods to replace you and they couldn't do worse.
Boeing Guy, DtheP47 and GEaston like this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 23:00   #95
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post

We should have replaced our old industries which couldn't compete with modern hi-tech industry which the rising economies couldn't beat.
We didn't, we relied on banking, North Sea oil and gas to keep us afloat. It worked but only for a little while.
I agree we should have become Hi-Tec, But why did we not? Probably cos the greedy barstewards yeh blindly support, pocketed the profits not re-invested, also probably when that penny dropped twas too late.
Old 14-04-2013, 00:26   #96

Leave the forum for a day and come back to 7 pages of discussion, nice.

Mog – interesting post, and I respect your opinion. I don’t fit so well into your stereotype though. I’m sure it would suit people if I came from Kensington, but I do not. Born in Ashinton, both grandparents were also lifelong miners, lives cut short by coal related lung issues. So much for safety. I would have made the worlds worst miner because I’m 6ft 10.

One good thing about our not mining coal today is that we still have it. One day it may be worth digging up (just as Shale mining became viable due to the high oil price), so one day will coal, and we’ll have it. Imagine that – leaving something other than debts to future generations…..

Cashman – I know you wont enter the debate, true of any debate though, right?

Less – I thought the link was a good representation of my opinion, didn’t need to say more as it was an excellent summary. Re your wife’s credit card – both consumerism and capitalism are terrible economic systems.

Noone want to blast my point about how coal is the most polluting way to produce electricity? It’s true Mog that we had the cleanest coal tech in the world, but that doesn’t make it particularly clean.

Excellent posts Gordon, and you’re correct in pointing out what we need to debate is the future and not the past.
Lucysgirl likes this.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 02:16   #97
God Member

now there is 5 ships anchored of the coast now full of coal corinthian pheonix,anangel ocean,vogerunner ,ostermarsch, aquagrace and raba all waiting full of coal.and these arent mickey mouse these are massive.
Old 14-04-2013, 07:50   #98
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I agree we should have become Hi-Tec, But why did we not? Probably cos the greedy barstewards yeh blindly support, pocketed the profits not re-invested, also probably when that penny dropped twas too late.
Come on Mr c ... I thought you had more oil in your miners lamp than that

1986 ..Study the printing industry and the move to High Tech Wapping out of Fleet Street with its old outdated and restrictive working practices.

or the shipbuilding industry..ditto e.g. One man to heat the rivet, one to carry it to the riveter(s) and two to put it in the hole and swage the head.

Last edited by DtheP47; 14-04-2013 at 07:55. Reason: and another thing
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 08:27   #99
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post
Leave the forum for a day and come back to 7 pages of discussion, nice.

Mog – interesting post, and I respect your opinion. I don’t fit so well into your stereotype though. I’m sure it would suit people if I came from Kensington, but I do not. Born in Ashinton, both grandparents were also lifelong miners, lives cut short by coal related lung issues. So much for safety. I would have made the worlds worst miner because I’m 6ft 10.

One good thing about our not mining coal today is that we still have it. One day it may be worth digging up (just as Shale mining became viable due to the high oil price), so one day will coal, and we’ll have it. Imagine that – leaving something other than debts to future generations…..

Cashman – I know you wont enter the debate, true of any debate though, right?
nah i won't enter any debate wi you,its that simple. I will say though using yer grandparents as a safety excuse, is pathetic n insulting to em in my view, cos when they must of started working down the pits, there was hardly any safety, as in most industries, also i never use 100 words, when 10 will do, i don't waffle, so suffice to say i don't really like yeh,
Old 14-04-2013, 08:38   #100
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Tick tock, tick to...........................whoops the springs broken.
yours did a long time ago
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 08:39   #101
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Nope I passed my 11+ first time around, no need to be corrected I am part of the elite!

(Well I was until she who makes all dismayed appeared on the scene).
Well it never did you any harm can't understand why it had to change
Old 14-04-2013, 08:43   #102
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It will always be a matter for argument Less, how much would have happened with any prime minister, and how much was down to Margaret?
Think you've got that spot on Mr. D. there are always to ways at looking at things and how to tackle them, there would be no need for elections if everybody was like minded
Old 14-04-2013, 08:46   #103
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think you've got that spot on Mr. D. there are always to ways at looking at things and how to tackle them, there would be no need for elections if everybody was like minded
Oh I forgot, and wouldn't Accyweb be dull as well
Old 14-04-2013, 10:02   #104
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Come on Mr c ... I thought you had more oil in your miners lamp than that

1986 ..Study the printing industry and the move to High Tech Wapping out of Fleet Street with its old outdated and restrictive working practices.

or the shipbuilding industry..ditto e.g. One man to heat the rivet, one to carry it to the riveter(s) and two to put it in the hole and swage the head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Speaking of oil in lamp DtheP, 1986 was a bit too late, The rot started more n 30 yrs before that wi the cotton industry, old looms etc, replaced by new in India n eastern places, also No health n safety, pay much less, fer obvious reasons, If re-investment had occured in the U.K. the decline of industry would have been much slower.
Old 14-04-2013, 10:33   #105
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post

Less Re your wife’s credit card – both consumerism and capitalism are terrible economic systems.
Only a minor correction here, DIL=Daughter-In-Law, I think she would have a few sleepless (and lonely), nights at the thought of being my spouse!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..