Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 21:47   #16
God Member

Re: Landlords

I had a house in Church and sold it dirt cheap in order to get out.
I have never regretted it.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-08-2009, 04:15   #17
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
maundy grange which has been mistreated and just attracted the scum of our society...
Don't get me started on Maundy Grange.......................aaaaaah.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:10   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I had a house in Church and sold it dirt cheap in order to get out.
I have never regretted it.
Was that getting out of the house or getting out of Church Margaret
Old 11-08-2009, 10:43   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Was that getting out of the house or getting out of Church Margaret
Both - Away from the neighbours and away from pollution

Old 11-08-2009, 10:48   #20
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Me and Sparks have the same problem as Bagpuss, as elderly people have died off on our street, the houses have been bought up by private landlords (many of whom don't even live in the area). Their houses are either left to rot, usually with several rat attracting bags of rubbish in the back yard), or they are rented to complete and utter scum. Compared to houses of similar size in other parts of Accy, our houses are worth far less.

We are not in a position to sell up and move, even though we have no mortgage. Our area is one of those in the pipeline for redevelopment and there may have to be compulsory purchases of some properties around here. Until definite plans are released, our house is in limbo and it wouldn't be worth putting it up for sale and paying the relevant survey fees until we know.

I am personally praying now that we end up with a compulsory purchase order. It will save us the hassle of trying to sell what is a cosy terrace in a once nice, but now scrotey area.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:49   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Both - Away from the neighbours and away from pollution
I did the same in the 80s n you were still there then margaret.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:12   #22
God Member

When I sold that terraced house in Church, I sold it to a young man from Salford who wore a black hat and waistcoat and had long curly sideburns
(said all that to avoid being labelled antisemitic)
I did not care who came to live there after me because my neighbours from hell deserved a dose of their own medicine.
I was delighted to hear that a young man who had burgled them twice had moved in

Old 11-08-2009, 16:08   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
When I sold that terraced house in Church, I sold it to a young man from Salford who wore a black hat and waistcoat and had long curly sideburns
(said all that to avoid being labelled antisemitic)
I did not care who came to live there after me because my neighbours from hell deserved a dose of their own medicine.
I was delighted to hear that a young man who had burgled them twice had moved in
I think Rindi's signature applies in that case Margaret
Old 11-08-2009, 17:10   #24
Accy Red

Got home from work and the scum have been up to something again, 2 police cars and a van to go with the 15 or so wasters who don't work, nice, yes what you need after a crap day.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 11-08-2009, 20:55   #25
Resting in Peace

Just wondered Bagpuss if you went to the consultations Fri. afternoon/Sat. morning which was the one for the Peel Park area? Last week was Woodnook. Aimed at improvement, particularly in the housing situation. Could have seen what the council is trying to do, and you could have had your say or ask the questions that have been worrying you.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 22:15   #26
Accy Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Just wondered Bagpuss if you went to the consultations Fri. afternoon/Sat. morning which was the one for the Peel Park area? Last week was Woodnook. Aimed at improvement, particularly in the housing situation. Could have seen what the council is trying to do, and you could have had your say or ask the questions that have been worrying you.
If I'd have known I would have gone but anyway I was working Friday afternoon and Saturday morning so the times wouldn't have been much use to me.

Old 11-08-2009, 23:53   #27
Senior Member+

I am only two blocks further away. I have the two worst families, one at the back ond one on my block.

It all feels like ordinary people don't matter.

Anyway - the list of achievements;

landlord licensing nearing starting. Spoke with MD today. On track. Will cover most terraced housing.

Visual Blight. I have personally dragged the Council from doing nothing to being effective. Todays meeting included the scummy house on Orange St. I have worked my nuts off for you to get to where we are. Rotten householders are being dealt with with a big stick. Under Labour the stick will be twice as thick and twice as long. The Tories simply do not understand but the public keep voting for softly softly do little policies.

Thirdly I will again be asking Council to scrap all Council Tax discounts to private landlords. Again the public voted for this administration which opposes what I have proposed.

With the police we are profiling the scroats backed up with action. April saw 3 more evictions/flits out of problem properties. Another one is coming.

I personally have fought to get master planning and regen in East Accrington.

I have spent 4 years setting up Neighbourhood Management with a long list of efforts. One property on Cedar has been fined over a £1000 twice and there was a bog fine on a neighbouribg Street.

I have recently done a bog piece of work on law to change from hopeless diary sheets to fixed penalty notices for noise nuisance.

I am currently trying to make the Coincil respond to boarded up properties which are illegal.

Most of this is happening in our area. I have also tidied up the gable end at the bottom.

I am working as hard as o ever have. It's the public who are to blame for shamefully and complacently allowing a Tory Council in who clearly not interested in policies that help ordinary people.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 00:05   #28
Senior Member+

Last msg sent from mobile!
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:01   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
It's the public who are to blame for shamefully and complacently allowing a Tory Council in who clearly not interested in policies that help ordinary people.
I'm sure the voters of Rishton , especially the ones who were subjected to over two years disruption by the crazy woman and her 24/7 music will be delighted to read that it was their own fault for allowing the disturbances and not the lack of any 'cojones' by the local police or council to tackle the problem
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:03   #30
Resting in Peace

We have a private landlord although he is ok trying to get anything done is very hard as he lives in south shields.
Last year he promised to concrete the back yard i was not holding much hope, but the following week aug 1 2008 he turned up with a huge skip and some mates and they spent all day digging the rubble out must have dug down a good 6 in of ground out ready .
then he said they would be back the next weekend and would order the concrete
its now aug 12th 2009 and we are still waiting
every time it starts raining my back yard is like a swimming pool
we also have the obligatory idiots at the bottom end of the street who like to play music as loud as they can at 2am and have drunken street parties late into the night with bottles and beer cans being thrown all over the place
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..