Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-01-2009, 16:25   #1
Give, give, give member

Living off the fat of the land.

The leader of Hyndburn Borough Council, Cllr. Britcliffe, is quoted in this weekend's Observer, justyifying the increases in allowances some of our councillors have voted to award themselves.

The allowance for an overnight hotel stay has increased from £99.69 to £145.00 per night.

An evening meal allowance has increased from £10.24 to £25.00.

Faced with criticism from some members of the council that increases of such a great a percentage weren't wise in the current financial climate, Cllr. Britcliffe is quoted as saying, in regard to a recent trip of his to Downing Street, that 'surely you wouldn't expect the leader to camp out in Hyde Park', and 'anybody who can find a meal for £10 in London should write a tourist guide'.

Well, I have no intention of writing a tourist guide, but as someone who lived in London for seventeen years, and like millions of fellow Londoners, managed to eat out very reasonably, without the need for a subsidy from the tax payer's purse, here is my advice.

The Stockpot in Old Compton Street, walking distance from Downing Street, is the perfect place to enjoy a good traditional dinner. Two courses and a glass of red wine will cost under a tenner.

Alternatively Pizza Hut in the Haymarket, again walking distance from Number 10, is a place you can enjoy a medium pizza and salad, and a glass of wine for £9.95.

As for accommodation I know the telephone number of any number of decent hotels in Bayswater and South Kensington, where you can find B & B for £85.00 per night, and the price doesnt change with the season.

This information I'm freely passing on to our leader isn't a secret, known only to Londoners, it is quite accessible to anyone. Anyone who is funding their own trip perhaps, and is not having their trips paid for by the cash strapped residents of Hyndburn.

I hope this information has been useful. If I can ever give any more information that might prevent future increases in councillor's allowances, please feel free to contact me.

As for 'camping in Hyde Park', do be careful after dark.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-01-2009, 16:28   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Living off the fat of the land.

I'm sorry for anyone who hasn't seen this weekend's Observer.

The full story isn't on their website yet.

Old 22-01-2009, 17:16   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

so glad i'm back, just waiting for andrews comments on our leaders expenses.
Old 22-01-2009, 17:19   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
so glad i'm back, just waiting for andrews comments on our leaders expenses.
Where's ti bin? - I missed you - was on the point of PMing some folk

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 17:40   #5
Resting in Peace

Well I don't know why, if councillors are representing the Borough, they can't just bring the receipts back and be reimburse, after all no one should be out of pocket on official business. Its a long time since I stayed in London but I reckon I could still find a decent place to stop at a reasonable price, mind you I did like to stop in a pub when I was travelling
Old 22-01-2009, 17:51   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well I don't know why, if councillors are representing the Borough, they can't just bring the receipts back and be reimburse, after all no one should be out of pocket on official business. D
i'll tell ya why mate, its the differance between "Honesty" n Deciept"
Old 22-01-2009, 17:56   #7
God Member

If Britcliffe brings a tent next time he's in the smoke, he can stick it up in my back garden and kip there. I'll charge him a tenner but he'll have to get his own breakfast. Just think of all the positive publicity which would result.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 18:03   #8
Give, give, give member

By the way, the increase Cllr. Britcliffe voted to award himself for an over night stay equals a 49% increase.

The allowance claimed by Burnley and Ribble Valley councillors is £91 and £121 respectively.

Perhaps he meant he can't find somewhere in London to eat for a tenner that doesn't have a Michelin star.

Old 22-01-2009, 18:09   #9
Give, give, give member

My doesn't time fly?

It doesen't seem all that long ago that our councillors voted to give themselves a 26% increase for their expenses.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ise-13737.html

Old 22-01-2009, 18:43   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

so ahemmm our glorious leader has actually awarded himself a 75% rise in expenses in approx three n half years..........some recession.
Old 22-01-2009, 18:53   #11
Resting in Peace

Have to slightly put up a different view here Garinda.

I have stayed in 100's of hotels in London (and visited them in the course of my job), and even Travel Lodges charge £85 >> £90 near the centre .. with no restaurant available .. 'cept a machine containing confectioneries.

Before I retired last January, most hotels in London were certainly working out at £100 + per night .. the ones which were accessible to a tube station.

As for the meals, well yes, could walk down the street to the local Pizza Hut if necessary, and have done on many occasions, however, even though I never had any fear of going out of the hotel at night, always felt much safer and less hassle to use a hotel with a restaurant (which B & B's don't have). Can't remember within the last two years when a meal in a hotel's restaurant cost less than £ 20 .. just with one course and 1/2 bottle of wine (which I always felt entitled to after traveling all day). Also hate the communal dining room of a B & B in the morning ... preferred to have it my room as the chatter of other guests first thing in the morning did not set me up well for the rest of the day.

We do have lady concillors too you know who would be nervous of venturing out of a safe environment at night.

Also, the good B & B's are usually booked up way in advance.

In other words, I do not find the increase unreasonable at all.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 18:58   #12
God Member

Why does it need an overnight trip to see Downing St ? It's only a 30 second tourist event from the barriers at the end, you can't even see No 10
Old 22-01-2009, 19:00   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I have worked for a company that had fixed priced allowances when away from home, if you were in London or Paris the rates were higher than standard to allow for the difference.

Another placed I worked you had to save receipts and claim the money back afterwards. That way worked out the best as they did not care how much beer you drank as long as you had the receipts.
Old 22-01-2009, 19:01   #14
Give, give, give member

The allowance is applicable for any overnight stay, be it Whitehall or Whitby.

Funny how are neibouring councillors seem to manage on less.

Old 22-01-2009, 19:04   #15
Resting in Peace

'Course, one way of cutting this expense down is to go in twos and share a room, as most hotels now only charge per room ....
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..