Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2011, 21:13   #1381
Senior Member+

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Genuinely, that's a shame.

It was always going to be a struggle.

It takes much less effort to go to the downstairs cafe.
The Footfall just isn't there for a Cafe upstairs really, plus the ones downstairs seem to keep their prices a bit lower too.

I honestly think we will see more places close in there after Christmas too!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-11-2011, 21:21   #1382
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
The Footfall just isn't there for a Cafe upstairs really, plus the ones downstairs seem to keep their prices a bit lower too.

I honestly think we will see more places close in there after Christmas too!

Best Regards - Taggy
Thr florist didn't sound too happy in the Observer, at being shifted, so that councillors can play at being Father Christmas, in the grotto where her business stood.

She said she'd already seen her takings plummet, since being forced to move from the base of the stairs, into an empty unit.

Still, ho, ho, ho.

A councillor gets to wear a beard.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 21:34   #1383
Senior Member+

Quote:
Thr florist didn't sound too happy in the Observer, at being shifted, so that councillors can play at being Father Christmas, in the grotto where her business stood.

She said she'd already seen her takings plummet, since being forced to move from the base of the stairs, into an empty unit.

Still, ho, ho, ho.

A councillor gets to wear a beard.
Lol!....Yes so i saw,....Apparently Claire Pritchard, who is now in charge of Markets, said "Historically" the Grotto has always been there???...Since when was that exactly?...I recall one being there last year after the refurbishment, but i can't remember one being in the Market Hall before..although i must admit i've not particularly looked for one so i may be mistaken!

Just as a side issue, but certainly as a matter of interest, how doe,'s the Council go about appointing people to various roles? Does Claire Pritchard, for example, have expertise in running markets or business?..I assume she must have some knowledge in that kind of area to be offered that kind of appointment, but i've no idea, or are these appointments made Carte Blanche?

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 25-11-2011, 21:49   #1384
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Lol!....Yes so i saw,....Apparently Claire Pritchard, who is now in charge of Markets, said "Historically" the Grotto has always been there???...Since when was that exactly?...I recall one being there last year after the refurbishment, but i can't remember one being in the Market Hall before..although i must admit i've not particularly looked for one so i may be mistaken!

Just as a side issue, but certainly as a matter of interest, how doe,'s the Council go about appointing people to various roles? Does Claire Pritchard, for example, have expertise in running markets or business?..I assume she must have some knowledge in that kind of area to be offered that kind of appointment, but i've no idea, or are these appointments made Carte Blanche?

Best Regards - Taggy
I think 'historically', when said by some of our councillors, is the same as a goldfish, thinking it recognises something, the next time it swims round the bowl.

What some in postions of power know about the history of this borough could be written on the back of a festive crumpet.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 22:07   #1385
Senior Member+

Quote:
I think 'historically', when said by some of our councillors, is the same as a goldfish, thinking it recognises something, the next time it swims round the bowl.

What some in postions of power know about the history of this borough could be written on the back of a festive crumpet.
Lol!..Well i'll be popping in at some point tomorrow, so i'll see if there's anything i remember from my last visit!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 26-11-2011, 09:25   #1386
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy if any off um had experience at running a successful business they wouldn't make such stupid decisions, its jobs for the boys matey. It was a different kettle of fish when I started out in local politics people didn't get paid, but got involved to try and make a difference, not how much they could make out of doing the job, which seems the bee hole and end hole these days, which was highlighted by the parliamentary expenses scandal. Okay times have changed, but I actually think its time to go the whole hog with local government and make being a councillor a full time job, cut down on numbers and make it attractive for people with a bit of nous to get involved, then we might see our Town Halls being run effectively. Lets face it councils employ officers on quite good salaries, who are answerable to part time political activist, not a great recipe for success is it
Old 26-11-2011, 10:20   #1387
God Member

Quote:
I believe the people from the "upstairs cafe" have now departed & relocated back to Infant Street which i think is "papa bears place"

Best Regards - Taggy
From what I've been told they are still opeing both cafes. Upstairs one will also be same name as Infant St
Old 26-11-2011, 11:01   #1388
Resting In Peace

Quote:
What's one of those - a lady of easy virtue in a Santa Claus outfit?
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 11:02   #1389
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
What's one of those - a lady of easy virtue in a Santa Claus outfit?
Doubt it susie,but it does sound promising.
Old 26-11-2011, 11:26   #1390
God Member

Is 2007 before Claire Pritchard's version of recorded history?
Christmas crib is blessed | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk
Old 26-11-2011, 11:48   #1391
Senior Member+

Quote:
On Election night, the Leader of the party that wins control of the Council is presented with a group of 18-20 individuals who have all sought election for different reasons. Some genuinely feel they can make a contribution to the wellbeing of the Borough. some see it as an opportunity to weald some power. And some, frankly have been railroaded into it against their better judgement.

Like the kids in the playground choosing football teams, the Leader picks a cabinet of the better players, and the youngest, weakest and the ones with two left feet are left till the end (or in Council terms, become backbenchers).

The better players are then given cabinet portfolios on the basis of intelligence, closeness to the Leader, and potential for causing minimum damage.

So the Cabinet member with responsibility for Markets is likely to have little or no experience of running markets. I don't know if that applies to the present incumbent, but that is certainly how it worked in my day.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 12:03   #1392
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post

So the Cabinet member with responsibility for Markets is likely to have little or no experience of running markets.
One would assume that a normal person, in that position, faced with such responsibilities upon which rest the jobs and businesses of a good number of the electorate would want to canvas as wide a range of opinion as possible before making any recomendation for action. Surely, given what is at stake if the wrong decisions are made, any reasonable person would eschew dogmatism in favour of consulation and compromise - Wouldn't they?
Old 26-11-2011, 12:16   #1393
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
One would assume that a normal person, in that position, faced with such responsibilities upon which rest the jobs and businesses of a good number of the electorate would want to canvas as wide a range of opinion as possible before making any recomendation for action. Surely, given what is at stake if the wrong decisions are made, any reasonable person would eschew dogmatism in favour of consulation and compromise - Wouldn't they?
They should seek advice and guidance from officers (in this case the Markets Manager), who are professionally experienced in running markets.

One of the downsides of Cabinet government is that it makes the Councillor the mouthpiece of the Council, rather than the Chief Officer. In the past, it would be the Officer answering the questions about where the crib should be placed, or when the market should be opened. It gave gravitas to the Council's position, because it always appeared that the situation was under the control of someone who knew what they were talking about, and was above petty party politics.

Too often when the Councillor speaks, their shortcomings are too well known by the listener, and nowadays, the officers are faceless backroom boys and girls.

Who, for example knows the name of the Market Manager? Or his boss the Town Centre Manager? Or HIS boss the Head of Regeneration and Housing Services? Or, for that matter, the Chief Executive?

In days gone by, they would be household names in the local press.

Last edited by gynn; 26-11-2011 at 12:25.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 12:22   #1394
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
From what I've been told they are still opeing both cafes. Upstairs one will also be same name as Infant St

Just to clarify the issue, they have swapped over, Infant St is now Coffe Beanz and Market Hall is now Milly's
Old 26-11-2011, 14:14   #1395
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
They should seek advice and guidance from officers (in this case the Markets Manager), who are professionally experienced in running markets.

One of the downsides of Cabinet government is that it makes the Councillor the mouthpiece of the Council, rather than the Chief Officer. In the past, it would be the Officer answering the questions about where the crib should be placed, or when the market should be opened. It gave gravitas to the Council's position, because it always appeared that the situation was under the control of someone who knew what they were talking about, and was above petty party politics.

Too often when the Councillor speaks, their shortcomings are too well known by the listener, and nowadays, the officers are faceless backroom boys and girls.

Who, for example knows the name of the Market Manager? Or his boss the Town Centre Manager? Or HIS boss the Head of Regeneration and Housing Services? Or, for that matter, the Chief Executive?

In days gone by, they would be household names in the local press.
Ya its strange that gynn they pay officers telephone number salaries, yet don't seem to take any notice of what they say, we're in charge, good game good game

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..