Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2006, 05:24   #106

Re: Mohamed cartoons.

Quote:
Surely if we are to have free speech, and show scant regard to anyones beliefs, there should be nothing that can't be seen?
There are some images that could not be shown, under common bloody decency.

Scant regard to peoples beliefs? That applies to us also.
Phylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-02-2006, 08:12   #107
God Member

I find it amazing that so many of you think free speech exists. Are you really all that gullible..

Never in the history of mankind has freedom of speech existed.

Can any one of you tell me when freedom of speech has been available.. lets narrow it down to just this country shall we..
Old 20-02-2006, 09:14   #108
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
I find it amazing that so many of you think free speech exists. Are you really all that gullible..

Never in the history of mankind has freedom of speech existed.

Can any one of you tell me when freedom of speech has been available.. lets narrow it down to just this country shall we..
It doesn't, that's what I was getting at, though of course America thinks it has.

I remember reading someone was arrested at the seaside for wearing a t-shirt on the beach with the slogan 'f**k off' on, when they refused to take it off, when people with children had complained.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 17:21   #109

Aye - and when there's a catastrophy in their lands - who's first to help ??? not their own Islamic bretheren, no, the West that they hate so much - I might have to think carefully next time theres an earthquake or tsunami maybe I'll donate to a good old Christian charity who works in the UK only

And as for them saying the press should not be allowed to print them, what about their favourite TV station Al Jazeera - they take great delight in showing the beheading of innocent westeners they've kidnapped, !! aye and repeating it night after night !! don't hear British muslims demonstrating against that !!!

And the protests - placards - "death to all non-muslims " - Jeez, what would have happened if some National Front members had carried placards like that - yeah they would have been arrested immediately !!

But its one law for them and another law for others

And no I'm not racist or bigoted - I get on with all who respect each other - and thats the key !! - they want us to respect their culture and beliefs yet they do not respect our culture and beliefs
mickmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 17:43   #110

Double standards all the way. It was those placards and the like that make me say, lets all wear the t-shirts!
Old 20-02-2006, 22:20   #111
God Member

The double standard is they need the openess of our media to project their opinion.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 04:44   #112
God Member

I think think that the really tragic thing in all this is the fact that, so far, 43 people have lost their lives because of these protests. If this sobering fact does not illustrate the evil of organised religion then I don't know what does.

I can understand exactly why Roy will not allow the cartoons to be published on this website and, reluctantly, I have to agree that his descision is the only responsible one to take. But I also think that it is truly shocking that we must now walk in fear and dread of these medieval and wilfully obscurantist fanatics. And worse still, that the government is prepared to bend so far backwards to accomodate their every whim.

Integration is all very well, but it is, properly, a process undertaken by the immigrant, not the host.
Old 21-02-2006, 05:41   #113

Hear, hear! Oh and hear, hear!!
Old 21-02-2006, 11:33   #114
God Member

AB is back and nailed the issue on the napper. The host seems to be bending over backwards and wont be long before they hit the deck.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 14:31   #115
Beacon of light

These cartoon were published in a provincial Danish Newspaper almost two years ago......and who do you think brought them back to the media attention?? Well, they were muslims.....now doesn't that seem a bit like muck stirring? If someone has already pointed this out.....I'm sorry....I haven't trawled through all of the posts.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 18:00   #116
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
......and who do you think brought them back to the media attention?? Well, they were muslims.....now doesn't that seem a bit like muck stirring?
Quite right Margaret. The original dozen cartoons were also suplemented by a couple of more sexually explicit ones and then hawked around middle eastern news papers and mosques. Our Muslim bretheren do not seem to be able to see when they and their religious sensibilities are being used for an agenda that has nothing whatever to do with piety and everything to do with fostering anti-western hatred.
Old 21-02-2006, 18:21   #117
Senior Member+

Just Found This T-shirt Anybody Wanna Link ? :d
Attached Images
File Type: jpg denmark_shirt.jpg (12.6 KB, 11 views)

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 18:37   #118

I love your avatar!
Old 22-02-2006, 16:29   #119
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylum
I love your avatar!
i like yours its kinda hypnotic
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 17:25   #120
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Quite right Margaret. The original dozen cartoons were also suplemented by a couple of more sexually explicit ones and then hawked around middle eastern news papers and mosques. Our Muslim bretheren do not seem to be able to see when they and their religious sensibilities are being used for an agenda that has nothing whatever to do with piety and everything to do with fostering anti-western hatred.
Who drew the more offensive ones we may wonder? Have any death threats been made against them? More than likely that the people in the countries where these images have been spread still believe that all of them were published in Europe and that we all find all of them amusing. They should look a little closer to home to find the real offenders.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..