Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2006, 17:17   #1
Give, give, give member

Mohamed cartoons.

Are the cartoons, published in France, after first being published in Denmark, a stand for freedom in our Western press, or an insensitive attack against Muslims?

In Islamic art, it's against religious laws to portray any image of a living thing. On old Islamic tiles and rugs, when figures are portrayed, they are always shown with their throats cut, thus they aren't alive.

Should the freedoms we fought for, now be dictated to by a minority of people?

After these cartoons were published in French and Spanish papers today, the EEC offices in Palestine were today surrounded by armed protesters.

Our own Government is trying to bring in laws that would outlaw derogatory jokes about people's faiths, much to the anger of most comedians. Goodbye to there was a Catholic, Jew and a Nun in a bar.

It was quite easy to find the cartoons that have been published of Mohamed, but in case a fatwa is issued I'll let you search for them yourselves, and make your own minds up if they are offensive.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-02-2006, 17:51   #2
Member.

Re: Mohamed cartoons.

There is a difference here. I have yet to see Muslim News Paper print derogatory Cartoons depicting Jesus Christ or God himself as a Terrorist. I think that cartoons about public figures would have gone uncommented on.

We have to show due respect to all the worlds religions and not openly attack what is the figurehead of Muslim Faith. I would argue that public figures are fair game in the political sense, but not the root of faith.

I would agree that matters like this should be left alone and comments should not be allowed to lead to offence being caused to either Muslims or Christians. This is not the same argument as that of the governments Racial Hatred Bill to which I am totally against.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 18:12   #3
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Mohamed cartoons.

All I can say is that it is a good job that Dave Allen isn’t around today. If he were he would have at least a dozen fatwas against him.:engsmil:
Old 02-02-2006, 18:17   #4
I am Banned

i laughed my ass off when i heard about these cartoons and with living in a country that promotes freedom of expression , speech and many other things that other countries dont i rest easy with my laughter

mind you when tony blair gets finished with us we wont be a free speaking nation if he gets his way

edit:

no i dont vote con or the other looney party ime just anti blair

i recall seeing a cartoon of christ on the cross asking peter to remove 2 nails to ease the pain and the next picture was of jesus falling forward screaming not those 2 bloody nails you idiot

i dont recall that one hitting the headlines

Last edited by chav1; 02-02-2006 at 18:28.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 19:12   #5
God Member

Oddly enough, I have just been catching up on this particular story. Being a depraved infidel, and proud of it, I found myself deeply intrigued by what could possibly occasion such a long running uproar. These cartoons must be really savage, caustic and biting, I thought - I just have to see them!

So off I went in search of the images that have worked our muslim bretheren up into such a lather. To be honest, I wish I hadn't bothered and I urge any of you considering a similar search to find something more interesting to do. Not, I hasten to add, out of any misplaced considerations of political correctness, but simply because they are so unremarkable as to be embarassing.

Much has been made, on both sides of the Atlantic, about the protection of freedom of speech and expression as well as the independence of the media and it's right to call an issue as it sees it. And much of that is reasonable and right. Sadly, very little has been made of the comedic, aesthetic or cultural value of these cartoons. That is because they posess so little of either. I have seen caricatures of my primary school teacher which were funnier - what am I saying - I drew caricatures of my primary school teacher that were infinately funnier than those pathetic doodlings!

What are we left with? We have on the one hand sophisticated western nations who no longer have much respect for organised religion and who view anything as a legitimate target for examination, criticism and ridicule. Nations who are not afraid to laugh, not only at each other but, also at themselves without worrying that such laughter might usher in the end of civilisation as we know it.

On the other hand we have the members of an organised religion who have little understanding and less experience of the nature of the freedoms which the west enjoys and jealously guards. A religion which demands tolerance and respect for its traditions and beliefs from the rest of the world but offers none to those who do not subscribe to those traditions and beliefs. Indeed, a religion, some of whose adherants support barbaric acts of terrorism as a means of furthering their theocractic/political influence.

Remember, this is the same religion which sanctioned the murder of a respected author for having the temerity to ridicule one of its figure heads and advocates similar punishments for others who would be tempted to travel a similar path, as the Dutch film-maker Theo van Gogh discovered to his cost.

Aesthetic considerations aside, was the Danish newspaper right to publish the cartoons? Yes, I think it was. Were the other European Newspapers right to publish them in support? Again, yes. Is the Muslim over-reaction to the publication ridiculous? Certainly! Will anything written by me have any influence on the controversy? Certainly not. This row is set to become a political issue and since when has common sense had anything in common with politics?
Old 02-02-2006, 23:03   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
There is a difference here. I have yet to see Muslim News Paper print derogatory Cartoons depicting Jesus Christ or God himself as a Terrorist.
The cartoons haven't be printed in Christian newspaper, they were posted in a National non-denominationl paper. Some of cartoons also featured Jesus.

Old 02-02-2006, 23:35   #7
Member.

What’s the difference where they are printed; it’s irrelevant? If we are to do anything to resolve some of the misinterpretations that relate to the root source of faith in other religions we should show a minimum of respect. And before you go off about any related subjects, my opinion is that two wrongs don’t make a right and occasionally we should make the effort to show due respect.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 00:13   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
What’s the difference where they are printed; it’s irrelevant? If we are to do anything to resolve some of the misinterpretations that relate to the root source of faith in other religions we should show a minimum of respect. And before you go off about any related subjects, my opinion is that two wrongs don’t make a right and occasionally we should make the effort to show due respect.
Difficult one.

Respect works both ways.

I'll never forget seeing on the news, men, women and children celebrating on the streets of Palenstine the day of the terrorist bombings of 9/11. The same people who were today armed, and protesting outside EEC offices in Palestine about the cartoons.

Old 03-02-2006, 00:22   #9
Senior Member+

long live chubby brown and bernard manning

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:29   #10
Junior Member+

Religions over the centuries have caused great sorrow, division and untold suffering of human beings. There are few who have had the courage to point out this appalling truth. That all human beings are one is unimportant. Many years ago a man called John Lennon in the lyrics to the song Imagine said it all.
(by John Lennon)
Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
Nowhere below us
Above only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one
nsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:50   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
I'll never forget seeing on the news, men, women and children celebrating on the streets of Palenstine the day of the terrorist bombings of 9/11. The same people who were today armed, and protesting outside EEC offices in Palestine about the cartoons.
You must have an amazing memory for faces to know they are the same people. Or did you just tar a whole nation with the same brush ?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:45   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
You must have an amazing memory for faces to know they are the same people. Or did you just tar a whole nation with the same brush ?
Of course I didn't mean the same actual people, it was meant generically.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:53   #13
Give, give, give member

Madonna faced a backlash and protests from the Christian right, as well as being ctiticised by the Pope, when she romped with a black Jesus, and for her use of crucifixes in videos.

Old 03-02-2006, 13:47   #14
I am Banned

saw on the news that muslims all over the world are protesting , rioting and throwing in 1 kidnapping so far

thank our lucky stars that their faith promotes peace

whos doing their faith more harm , the cartoon or the behaviour of hundreds of thousands by which i mean the morons rioting and those screaming like loons in teh streets

although the cartoons were printed legaly and to be honest i dont think theres a problem with it in an ideal world but sadly terrorist organisations will now use these cartoons to recruit the weaker minded few into their organisations

Last edited by chav1; 03-02-2006 at 14:09.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 14:53   #15
Junior Member+

Where are the cartoons ? give us a link please...............

Spread a little happiness these dark winter nights,

Cheers
krex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..