Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 09:23   #1
Resting in Peace

Talking Oh you are offal, but I like you

They were discussing the new found popularity of offal products in the food chain on TV this morning, mainly because its cheap, but also because its good for you. From my own point of view, I've never really had a problem with offal, I like liver (cooked not raw) kidney, tongue, trip (prefer it raw not cooked, pigs trotters, oxtail, black pudding haggis, but never had lamb fries though. whats your take on offal, do you love it our hate it
Old 08-03-2012, 09:30   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: Oh you are offal, but I like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
They were discussing the new found popularity of offal products in the food chain on TV this morning, mainly because its cheap, but also because its good for you. From my own point of view, I've never really had a problem with offal, I like liver (cooked not raw) kidney, tongue, trip (prefer it raw not cooked, pigs trotters, oxtail, black pudding haggis, but never had lamb fries though. whats your take on offal, do you love it our hate it
That could have been me writing that post, my tastes on this are exactly the same as you Jay, but then we are both Bugs Bunnies so why should I be surprised?

PS you have made me very hungry - my mouth is watering at the thought!
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:37   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
That could have been me writing that post, my tastes on this are exactly the same as you Jay, but then we are both Bugs Bunnies so why should I be surprised?

PS you have made me very hungry - my mouth is watering at the thought!
You've also got to remember we're also from the same generation too Susie, most of the kids I played with when I was young didn't have problems with this type of food either, but having said that my Father hated it, but for some reason he was very fussy about his food anyway
Old 08-03-2012, 09:41   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I eat most of it, in fact just bought a black pud this morning, Never had Trip though, tried Tripe but not keen on that.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:46   #5
Beacon of light

No....I don't like offal at all, any of it....and would never knowingly eat it.

I'm from the same generation too, but when Ma cooked liver for the family I didn't eat it. I hated it. Tripe........YeuuuuK, tastes like snot......if you put vinegar on it...vinegary snot. Elder.....baaaad, horrible(my dad used to make elder butties, and ate them as if it was nectar of the gods - how could he?) He liked fried lamb brains on toast too(retches loudly).......I know that offal is nourishing, but it does nothing for me. You can have my share between you.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:48   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Whats the lambs brains Margaret? Always thought Lambs Fries was the Balls?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:48   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No....I don't like offal at all, any of it....and would never knowingly eat it.

I'm from the same generation too, but when Ma cooked liver for the family I didn't eat it. I hated it. Tripe........YeuuuuK, tastes like snot......if you put vinegar on it...vinegary snot. Elder.....baaaad, horrible(my dad used to make elder butties, and ate them as if it was nectar of the gods - how could he?) He liked fried lamb brains on toast too(retches loudly).......I know that offal is nourishing, but it does nothing for me. You can have my share between you.
Yummy yummy thanks Margaret
Old 08-03-2012, 09:52   #8
Give, give, give member

There isn't much I won't eat, but offal's one of them.

I've tried it done nouvelle fancy, but it's still horrible, and really should all be sent to dog food factories.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:26   #9
Common Sense Member

I'm a big fan of offal but there are plenty of other cheap cuts of meat which are sorely overlooked and I've been using them for years. Neck end, breast of lamb, blade, skirt...saved myself a fortune buying those and I always eat well.

There are some great dishes that can be made with offal and my local butcher in Rishton sells me some amazingly cheap cuts that can be turned into lovely meals. Black pudding remains a favourite and lamb's liver is wonderful with onion gravy and mash, there's pretty much nothing I won't touch. For those that won't knowingly eat offal I fully understand why but try not to spend too much time poring over your next sausage.

Have to draw the line at fries though.

I'm just not a big fan of nuts.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:26   #10
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Whats the lambs brains Margaret? Always thought Lambs Fries was the Balls?
The general consensus is that lamb fries are testicles. You've also got sweetbreads, which to some folks are also balls but are usually pancreas.

Fried lambs brains on toast is a well known way of preparing and serving them.

Testicle Cooking Championship in Serbia | Oddity Central - Collecting Oddities
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:28   #11

I feel sick reading this, offal - awful more like, disgusting
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:45   #12
Junior Member+

Haven't had tripe in years but the thought of it covered in vinegar (with a few chips)has got my mouth watering. Love black pudding,haggis and liver but can't stand the thought of eating tongue. My grandfather used to eat pigs trotters and the sight of that made me feel sick.
gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:58   #13
Beacon of light

Lambs Brains are just that Cashy....brains taken from lambs.
Dad liked them fried and then put onto thick slices of toast.......he sprinkled them liberally with salt and pepper and tucked into them like they were caviar.

I don't eat stuff that I can't recognise......black puddings, faggots...also known as savoury ducks(you don't really know what is in these products - yes I know there is legislation about food labels, but do I trust it? - not a lot). I do eat sausages(occasionally), but only from one reputable butcher who makes his own.
I would rather be shot than poisoned.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 14:58   #14
God Member

funny isnt it how one min were been told we will be killed if we eat ofal because of things like mad cows dissease and soon as theres a financial disaster were been told its good for us

dont get me wrong i like my black pudding but rather than tell people to eat cheaper waste meats how about lowering fuel prices so that decent cuts of meat are more affordable because they wont have had to absorb the extra delivery costs from extortionate fuel costs to delivery waggons etc.

i dont buy into the hype about what will and wont kill you i just find it laughable that all of a sudden ofal is good yet not so long ago when times were good eating as much as a cheap burger could kill you lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 16:32   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
All of it Jay - especially lamb's fries, but haven't had that for a very long time. Like liver - lamb/calf/pig, thinly sliced and flash fried

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..