Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-2013, 23:27   #91
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: police speed checks m65

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
I`m guessing she wasn`t in the left lane. What big green thing are you talking about?
The big green thing was me in a green car
Old 18-05-2013, 23:28   #92
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
had some daft tart today heading towards the roundabout along hyndburn road coming from asda direction decide she wanted a mcdonalds and promptly turned right into mcdonalds almost causing a pile up

big thick white lines obviously mean something else to some folk ffs

also i must really attract these morons because tonight coming into ossy some absolute prick in a black peugout 207 heading towards ossy from blackburn road jumped a red light and he had 3 kids on the back seat.Wonder how impressed the mrs would have been if he had killed them
Big thick white lines and no right turn sign mean nothing when the police don't care
Old 19-05-2013, 09:12   #93
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
It seems that many are obsessed by speed.
A few extra mph may get you there early or on time, but is it really worth the risk?

It is a manifestation of the rat race.
If you can't opt out, just slow down.

You may have less time to sit in front of the goggle box, but there's nothing lost there.
When I lived in Hassy, if I'd been to my parents home in Ossy I used to go home via Fielding Lane Haslingden Old Road, I lost count of the time's a boy racer was tailgating me in a rush to get passed, usually having to duck in or go headlong into an oncoming lorry, the problem was he was risking life and limb to get the traffic lights at the Worsley park junction before me
Studio25 likes this.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 09:15   #94
Resting in Peace

Quote:
i overslept and dont possess a time machine
Only yourself to blame then
Old 19-05-2013, 09:16   #95
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie R View Post
Did your mother in law live on Broadway Jaysay?
No Mr G. she lived in the Village not far from the Robin Hood
Old 19-05-2013, 09:26   #96
Resting in Peace

There is always the exception to the rule, When I worked for Shopfitters I stayed at my mates home in Chorley so we could have an early start for a lunchtime booking down south, this was the early 70s, we joined the motorway and it was pretty much empty except for a few cars, then we came across the SUNDAY DRIVER sat in the middle lane doing 30mph, now being in a Ford 2 ton Lorry we weren't allowed into the overtaking lane, but of course our SD must not be aware of it and no matter how many times my mate piped the horn or flashed the lights the guy was not for moving, his wife was looking round giving us black looks, until after about 10 miles he pulled over, as we drove by he look up and shouted there's another lane you know, I informed him with words of one syllable that the law prevented us from undertaking on the inside or use the overtaking lane, think he got the message
Old 19-05-2013, 09:41   #97

Quote:
someone once said to me that speeding dosnt get you to where you want to go any faster

i would just like to confirm that is bollocks you do get to where you want to go faster

its simple maths really i dont know why people say otherwise
It's because going fast doesn't necessarily change your average speed, and it's that you need to increase in order to get to your destination sooner.

On Friday afternoon I was coming back from Clitheroe and arrived at the A59 at the same time as someone in a Fiat 500 Abarth. I stayed left at 50, he thrashed it down the outside lane, and cut in ahead of someone right at the big roundabout with the A671 - he'd gained about 350 metres. By the time I arrived at the lights he was two cars in front. He hammered it again to get past the cars ahead of him so he disappeared from view - until we got to the lights where we split off on the 680 towards Great Harwood. Now there was only one car between us. At the turn into Harwood, the separating car continued off into Clayton. We arrived at my destination at the same time.

I hadn't needed to stop at the two sets of lights, he had. So that had cut his average speed down to the same as mine, even though he'd been thrashing it whenever he could.
jaysay and BERNADETTE like this.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 16:59   #98
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
No Mr G. she lived in the Village not far from the Robin Hood
Stevie R asked you that Jaysay.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 17:06   #99
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Stevie R asked you that Jaysay.
Sorry Cashy its my age
Old 19-05-2013, 17:26   #100
Senior Member+

Keep taking the pills as we all do.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 17:42   #101
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Keep taking the pills as we all do.
There not working Frank
Old 19-05-2013, 19:11   #102
Senior Member+

Quote:
Sorry Cashy its my age
I did same thing a few weeks ago.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 07:02   #103
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
There is always the exception to the rule, When I worked for Shopfitters I stayed at my mates home in Chorley so we could have an early start for a lunchtime booking down south, this was the early 70s, we joined the motorway and it was pretty much empty except for a few cars, then we came across the SUNDAY DRIVER sat in the middle lane doing 30mph, now being in a Ford 2 ton Lorry we weren't allowed into the overtaking lane, but of course our SD must not be aware of it and no matter how many times my mate piped the horn or flashed the lights the guy was not for moving, his wife was looking round giving us black looks, until after about 10 miles he pulled over, as we drove by he look up and shouted there's another lane you know, I informed him with words of one syllable that the law prevented us from undertaking on the inside or use the overtaking lane, think he got the message

I don't hear many people using the term overtaking lane these days, I usually hear it referred to as the outside lane and people tend to number them 1 2 3 4 5 etc.

I know anything pulling a trailer can't go in the outside lane but I still often see cars with trailers in the outside lane. Is there a weight limit as well as no trailers allowed in the outside lane?
Old 20-05-2013, 07:08   #104
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
It's because going fast doesn't necessarily change your average speed, and it's that you need to increase in order to get to your destination sooner.

On Friday afternoon I was coming back from Clitheroe and arrived at the A59 at the same time as someone in a Fiat 500 Abarth. I stayed left at 50, he thrashed it down the outside lane, and cut in ahead of someone right at the big roundabout with the A671 - he'd gained about 350 metres. By the time I arrived at the lights he was two cars in front. He hammered it again to get past the cars ahead of him so he disappeared from view - until we got to the lights where we split off on the 680 towards Great Harwood. Now there was only one car between us. At the turn into Harwood, the separating car continued off into Clayton. We arrived at my destination at the same time.

I hadn't needed to stop at the two sets of lights, he had. So that had cut his average speed down to the same as mine, even though he'd been thrashing it whenever he could.

Yeah but he had much more fun thrashing the spuds of his car. Its not always about getting somewhere faster, its about having a little fun.

It sounds like he was only playing or driving like a pussy and should have been passing more cars.
Old 20-05-2013, 07:14   #105
God Member

I used to use the M6 quite a lot when I was looking after my mother in Morecambe.

One day as I was 'trundling along' at 50 in the inside lane, two wagons appeared in the other two lanes and maintained their position alongside me which effectively blocked all overtaking and reduced all traffic to 50.

Having an ex who was once a long distance HGV driver, I knew what they were doing and so went along with it.

Sitting high in their cabs and talking to each other on CB radio, they were aware of an accident ahead, which did indeed prove to be the case.

Their actions may well have infuriated the speed merchants, but prevented them from smashing into an existing crash scene.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..