Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-02-2008, 22:40   #76

Re: "Silly Cow" Clr Britcliffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Another cheap dig, although I do not share Mr Jones politics, here in the peel ward we are very happy with him in regards to his work as our local councillor, I just wish he would stick to what he is good at.
When you say “we” don’t include me, kinda like to voice my own opinion as to whether Im happy or not with anyone
Old 17-02-2008, 22:45   #77
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
When you say “we” don’t include me, kinda like to voice my own opinion as to whether Im happy or not with anyone
Ok are you happy or not?
My opinion is he was better until he became leader of the local labour party.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 23:00   #78

To be honest I’ve had no involvement with the man, apart from his 2007 Christmas Newsletter.

There was a comment in there stating that “With the Police we have reduced the nuisance/ball games outside the SPAR thoug it is an ongoing problem. With Police help, young people have been issued with new soft ball that don’t damage cars.” (The typo’s are the newsletters not mine.) Hardly a hard stance on crime, glad they weren’t shooting each other, the cops may have had to issue them with rubber bullets.

Irrespective of that just making the point that maybe “we” are not all happy with him.
Old 17-02-2008, 23:02   #79
God Member

LOL - politics is all about compromise ---which satisfies neither side
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 23:06   #80
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Why have none of the witnesses to this tawdry insult come forward and shown this (petty) man up for what he is?
Surely they can't all be subject to a gagging order. If I had heard him say something like that and then he had denied it I would be telling anyone who would listen.....the fact that he has been accused of such a thing does nothing for his credibility.
Mmmm .. could have sworn I had just mentioned I heard this to nearly 12,000 members registered on this site..

Why do most people on here knock the Councillors all the time (Ok.. have a right to do so) .. thing is when you criticize, then you have to have an alternative plan, so what does anybody suggest then ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 23:10   #81

Suggest as an alternative to what kate...sorry, might be me bein slow, it's gettin late
Old 17-02-2008, 23:13   #82
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Suggest as an alternative to what kate...sorry, might be me bein slow, it's gettin late
was wonderin that meselfdo not "get" why you have to have an alternative to slag em, ya just need a because.
Old 17-02-2008, 23:14   #83
Resting in Peace

Quote:
To Borough Councillors and the whole system, voted by the people, etc.
Old 17-02-2008, 23:23   #84
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
ya dont need an alternative, ya just need em to act responsibly n work together. still can see why yer saying n alternative.
Old 17-02-2008, 23:30   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I see what you mean, the system is ours, it works as good as any other democratic political system, people are always going to moan about this or that, whatever the system, human nature I suppose.
Old 17-02-2008, 23:40   #86
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
ya dont need an alternative, ya just need em to act responsibly n work together. still can see why yer saying n alternative.
Well, you yourself said you had given up with them 30 years ago (going to council meetings) .. is that not a negative statement in itself that all Councillors are a waste of space. That is the opinion that always seems to come across to me, so OK maybe not an alternative, but what would be your grand plan on getting them to 'work together'. Am only just learning myself on all this, but only very rarely do I detect any support for them.

I know lots feel this new grading of 'Excellence' is a laugh a minute, but do think that over the past few years a big effort has been made to improve the town and secure its future by further projects. It could not have moved up this way with them not co-operating vastly with each other.

This thread is just a little aside to the bigger picture and an attempt by Graham Jones to keep meetings on at least a civil level without personal insults.
Old 17-02-2008, 23:48   #87
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

i know all councillors are "NOT" a waste of time,that is not my beef,never will be,what i am saying is you can never get em all to work together, sad but true, ya will learn that if you keep going to em, you may view that as negative, your right, i view it as fact.
Old 17-02-2008, 23:52   #88
God Member

The socially concious ones will never get on with the power hungry ones
We just need to vote off the second type when we recognise them
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 00:00   #89
God Member

So what if he called her a silly cow? He's human and lives in the north, we all say horrible things like that at times, its in the blood. Everyone gets wound up at times and she obviously said something to get a reaction out of him.

I'm sure she wont lose any sleep over being called a silly cow in public, and I'm sure everyone has heard the phrase before.

Is it shocking because he's a representative of the people? We have politicians who are rude to eachother all the time in parliament, and shout NAAAAAAAAY at eachother when they don't agree, even if the politician is still speaking. Hardly good manners is it but thats just the way it is.

She probably was being a silly cow
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 00:22   #90
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i know all councillors are "NOT" a waste of time,that is not my beef,never will be,what i am saying is you can never get em all to work together, sad but true, ya will learn that if you keep going to em, you may view that as negative, your right, i view it as fact.
Ok, wasn't meant personal to your goodself Cashy and willing to listen to views .. suppose we are just a country that doesn't give much praise when it is due .. only criticism.

Blazey: Actually I don't think the Cllr had said anything much before he made this remark. Agree this is what happens in Parliament too, however, everybody missing the point here, he denied saying it ... Ok perhaps he forgot is the best excuse I can allow him.. . Like I said storm in a teacup and just made me laugh at the time, did not make me gasp with shock, just thought was all part of the banter. Do think that the Mayor could have stepped in though and asked him for an apology of some sort, as she could have easily retaliated and got into a real slanging match, but was said in a light hearted sort of way, not aggresively.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..