Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-01-2017, 16:18   #46
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Smart Meters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Every worm hides a hook...and not just in fishing!
I've been using the Internet to contact my supplier for about 5 years, can't see anything wrong with it.
If I have a query I send them an email, they promptly reply, much better than an 0800 number where it's press 1 for this press 2 for that and ending up with some guy that claims to be called Dave, even though his English is more limited than a dyslexic budgie that has suffered a stroke!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-01-2017, 16:36   #47
Beacon of light

Maybe I am a bit thick Less, but i don't quite see how this comment relates to my post.

I was referring to the fact that advertisers know that you have to offer inducements to get people to swallow what they are promoting...or in other words, 'a pig won't follow an empty bucket'.

Yes, I agree the Internet is the way to go. E mail or live chat has been useful to me in the past. The number crunching is just too painful, and as you say invariably you get through to someone on the Indian subcontinent who has a thick accent and an English name.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 17:04   #48

Quote:
Maybe I am a bit thick Less, but i don't quite see how this comment relates to my post.

I was referring to the fact that advertisers know that you have to offer inducements to get people to swallow what they are promoting...or in other words, 'a pig won't follow an empty bucket'.

Yes, I agree the Internet is the way to go. E mail or live chat has been useful to me in the past. The number crunching is just too painful, and as you say invariably you get through to someone on the Indian subcontinent who has a thick accent and an English name.
Don't consider you to be thick, perhaps over cautious?
I really do think smart meters the way to go to give us all exactly what we should be paying for.
You may consider it a shame meter readers won't be needed anymore, but most of them will probably be absorbed into running the system in other jobs, automation of many industries has proved that.
Old 31-01-2017, 17:15   #49
Beacon of light

No Less, it isn't just about meter readers losing jobs, it is that as things stand it is totally unnecessary for me to have a gadget (one that could possibly be hacked into....over which I have no control) that transmits my power usage to the energy provider.
It has no advantages for me, but it does have advantages for the energy providers...which is why they are trying to make it seem worthwhile by offering 'free' energy.
There are only the two of us so I would have to take in washing for the whole street to make it worthwhile....or to be vacuuming from morning til night on the day my electricity was supposed to be free.
My cooking is done by gas, so I can't even get my money's worth by cooking a weeks grub in advance.
For some people they may be a good thing, it may make them more energy aware, it may make them consider what appliances they are using...but For me they have no value.
I won't be having one.

And I am glad you don't consider me thick
cashman and Gremlin like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 31-01-2017 at 17:18.
Old 31-01-2017, 17:28   #50
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Have to disagree, the only way i will ever have a smart meter is if its forced on me.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 31-01-2017, 17:44   #51
Beacon of light

Cashy, if your energy supplier needed to install new meters for safety reasons(because your current meter was outdated) then you can ask for a dumb meter...this is the same as a smart meter, but it is not connected by a SIM card to the suppliers network.

These supplier networks are supposed to only accept messages from the supplier and are encrypted. This does mean that your energy supplier could(in theory and at times of high demand) instruct your meter to cease supplies to your property.
Now with conventional non smart meters, I don't think that is possible.

You might think this scenario would not happen, but as there is a move away from power generated by fossil fuels in favour of energy produced in other ways( wind turbine for instance) I can see a time coming when there will not be enough energy to go around and selective areas may be targeted in reduction of power supplies.

A smart meter is something that is installed in your home, on THEIR network, for their benefit.
Who is to say, in the future, how the information collected will be used. It may even be sold on to third parties who sell things like domestic appliances.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 31-01-2017 at 17:47.
Old 31-01-2017, 18:26   #52

Quote:
Cashy, if your energy supplier needed to install new meters for safety reasons(because your current meter was outdated) then you can ask for a dumb meter...this is the same as a smart meter, but it is not connected by a SIM card to the suppliers network.

These supplier networks are supposed to only accept messages from the supplier and are encrypted. This does mean that your energy supplier could(in theory and at times of high demand) instruct your meter to cease supplies to your property.
Now with conventional non smart meters, I don't think that is possible.

You might think this scenario would not happen, but as there is a move away from power generated by fossil fuels in favour of energy produced in other ways( wind turbine for instance) I can see a time coming when there will not be enough energy to go around and selective areas may be targeted in reduction of power supplies.

A smart meter is something that is installed in your home, on THEIR network, for their benefit.
Who is to say, in the future, how the information collected will be used. It may even be sold on to third parties who sell things like domestic appliances.
Lets go back a few years, YOU decided to buy a computer, YOU decided to connect to the internet, I'm glad you did, so far as I'm concerned many an entertaining hour even though you have left yourself 'open' to hackers, how oh please tell me how, anyone would be more interested in you if you had a smart meter?

Only reason anyone pays attention is because you put on sensibly interesting posts, the intelligent meter can only be a disadvantage to someone that has something to hide, if it cuts down on my bills (and eventually our combined carbon footprint) I'm all for it.

Note to self, stop putting it off, get yourself signed up, you are only avoiding it because you'd have to spend your free day actually cleaning and washing and DIYing, maybe, yep maybe, your right Margaret, it's a step too far why should I do any of that stuff?

Last edited by Less; 31-01-2017 at 18:29.
Old 31-01-2017, 18:55   #53
Beacon of light

Yes, Less, you are right(you so often are).
I did go and buy a computer, I did connect to the Internet, but I made sure that I had some kind of protection from some of the evils out there...and YES, I do know that all the protection in the world is not foolproof, but I make the best fist of trying to ensure my security.

I neither need nor want one of these intrusive meters(and I have nothing to hide).My energy readings are done each quarter...I have not had an estimated bill in 14 years - the time I have been retired. I do not need some animated display to remind me of the energy I am using. I am frugal in my use of energy. No dishwasher, no dryer. I do not leave things on standby. We heat the house with a log burner. I am not who the energy companies want for a customer.

I am suspicious of such things for the reasons I have outlined quite clearly, but if it works for you, then you go for it. Me not having one leaves one for someone who will find one of these gadgets a boon.
I am suspicious about the information collected...how it will be used and by whom. Is is going to be passed on to third parties who could benefit from knowing what you use and when.
As for these leading to cheaper power...I can't see it happening. These contraptions have cost us the consumers 11 million quid. It won't reduce the carbon footprint because most people will selfishly use whatever power they want, and can afford to pay for.
Also there is the possibility of the energy companies being able to control the meter remotely
As for the housework...most of mine gets done during the week...and at the weekend I frequently invoke the 'sluts' charter. I do nowt....or no, I do just the cooking.
Less likes this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 31-01-2017 at 19:05.
Old 31-01-2017, 19:03   #54

Quote:
Yes, Less, you are right(you so often are).
I did go and buy a computer, I did connect to the Internet, but I made sure that I had some kind of protection from some of the evils out there...and YES, I do know that all the protection in the world is not foolproof, but I make the best fist of trying to ensure my security.
I neither need nor want one of these intrusive meters(and I have nothing to hide).My energy readings are done each quarter...I have not had an estimated bill in 14 years - the time I have been retired. I do not need some animated display to remind me of the energy I am using. I am frugal in my use of energy. No dishwasher, no dryer. I do not leave things on standby. We heat the house with a log burner. I am not who the energy companies want for a customer.
I am suspicious of such things for the reasons I have outlined quite clearly, but if it works for you, then you go for it. Me not having one leaves one for someone who will find one of these gadgets a boon.
As for the housework...most of mine gets done during the week...and at the weekend I frequently invoke the 'sluts' charter. I do nowt....or no, I do just the cooking.
Wish I had a log burner, perhaps my toilet wouldn't block as often as it does?
Old 31-01-2017, 19:08   #55
Beacon of light

It won't burn bog logs Less...well yes it will, but I don't fancy that kind of recycling.
Old 31-01-2017, 19:10   #56

Quote:
It won't burn bog logs Less...well yes it will, but I don't fancy that kind of recycling.
Proof at last, it doesn't take much to drag you down to my level!
Old 31-01-2017, 19:26   #57
Beacon of light

Don't tell me it has taken you this long to find that out Less.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:38   #58
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Worth buying better chargers and more batteries, then you can sell it back to them during the week.
I hadn't thought about that. Wouldn't to to difficult to make them think it's solar power your putting back
Old 01-02-2017, 01:41   #59
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Have to disagree, the only way i will ever have a smart meter is if its forced on me.
They probably will be at some point. I'm very surprised we've got away with not having to have water meters still.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:22   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I hadn't thought about that. Wouldn't to to difficult to make them think it's solar power your putting back
Just make sure you don't sell it back to them on a very foggy day.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..