Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 14:40   #121
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Smoking ban........

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
In view of recent events and the high level of security, I personally feel that the wearing of Burkhas should be banned in public areas... and if not they do not adhere to this law, they to ought to be fined on the spot:
wandering a bit but had to mention this, a Magistrate was threatened with disiplinary action the other day cos he refused to take a case of a woman wearing a burka,reason he gave he had no way of identifying her,so my point is you got a long haul to get em banned in public.
Old 03-07-2007, 14:47   #122
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
For anyone who took this seriously,it was written with tongue firmly in cheek.The places I have seen these signs over the last couple have days have had me chuckling to myself.Churches,nurseries,libraries,I never knew these places had a problem with people lighting up in them,they don't.No-one smokes in a nursery or in church so why do they feel the need to tell us now that it's forbidden?
We have been haggling with the question of putting signs up at work, The environmental people tell us we have to display them as it is a workplace but our head office are arguing that it is the residents' home and who would want no smoking signs put up in their living room. By the same token, if one of our residents smoked they could light up in the house if they wanted to but staff have to go outside???? - Crazy
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 17:00   #123

I am really pleased about the ban and am looking forward to going out next Saturday and not having to inhale other peoples smoke and come home stinking of fags!

Just wondering when there will be a ban smoking in beer gardens?! If and when the summer comes there wont be any fresh air and I will be cooped up inside!
Kisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 17:33   #124
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisser View Post
I am really pleased about the ban and am looking forward to going out next Saturday and not having to inhale other peoples smoke and come home stinking of fags!

Just wondering when there will be a ban smoking in beer gardens?! If and when the summer comes there wont be any fresh air and I will be cooped up inside!
Which fresh air is that?

It wouldn’t be the obnoxious, carcinogen laden vehicle exhaust fumes would it?
Old 03-07-2007, 17:47   #125
God Member

Quote:

Your profile shows you are an air hostess. I thought you would have known more than most what is and what isn't 'fresh air', because you are breathing recycled unfresh bacteria laden air in your job, and I would have thought you would have researched the hazards this poses to your health.
Whether there are, or are not, persons smoking tobacco near you in a beer garden you are not breathing 'fresh air' - there are multiple pollutants present which you cannot necessarily see or smell and which are a greater threat to your health. Burning leaves are a lesser hazard than vehicle emissions, so it depends whether your chosen beer garden is adjacent to a public highway or up a swiss alp. If you want truly fresh air I suggest Antarctica

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 17:55   #126
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
The places I have seen these signs over the last couple have days have had me chuckling to myself.Churches,nurseries,libraries,I never knew these places had a problem with people lighting up in them,they don't.No-one smokes in a nursery or in church so why do they feel the need to tell us now that it's forbidden?
As I entered work on Monday, encountered our Health and Safety guy putting up these signs. Asked why, as not allowed already, and just explained he had no choice, 'tis the law to put up these signs in public buildings/work premises. (Wonder if you have to pay for them ?)

Can't just understand the residential homes though. Yes, understand that this is the resident's home, but also the staff's place of work. Would think banned in the lounges where there are visitor's and public, etc., but would not apply to their rooms, which is private (like hotel rooms for instance). Is this not the case then ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 18:53   #127
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Billy no mates eh? you have no friends that smoke, so no tolerance and you are busy burning the sky with cheap paraffin, I couldn't smoke my whole life the amount it takes to carry you in the sky for an hour!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 19:04   #128
God Member

Quote:
Come on people take note of Kisser's smiley's...she was having a jest at us all, don't worry I'll work out a way of getting her back

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 19:22   #129
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
As I entered work on Monday, encountered our Health and Safety guy putting up these signs. Asked why, as not allowed already, and just explained he had no choice, 'tis the law to put up these signs in public buildings/work premises. (Wonder if you have to pay for them ?)

Can't just understand the residential homes though. Yes, understand that this is the resident's home, but also the staff's place of work. Would think banned in the lounges where there are visitor's and public, etc., but would not apply to their rooms, which is private (like hotel rooms for instance). Is this not the case then ?
In the home I work in the staff have always gone outside to smoke anyway but it's the thing with the signs thats causing the confusion and so far we haven't put any up as our bosses feel it would take away the homeliness of the place although we did order some and to answer your question Katex, no we didn't have to pay for them.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 20:04   #130

hehe I knew that would cause a stir cheers HR !
Kisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 20:25   #131
Passed away 25-11-09

As a former smoker I feel sorry for any air crew who smoke. It can't be easy to nip outside for a fag when you're 3 miles above the Atlantic.
Old 03-07-2007, 20:57   #132
Resting in Peace

I see the cafes down town have not been so busy now... only place you can have a smoke is the outside on the market he's got a gazebo up ( but I bet they make him take it down)

I will not pay to have a brew in a cafe if I can't have a smoke.... so I went home early and saved money: feel sorry for the cafe owener though: I used to spend around £15.00 a week but no more:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 21:02   #133
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
I see the cafes down town have not been so busy now... only place you can have a smoke is the outside on the market he's got a gazebo up ( but I bet they make him take it down)

I will not pay to have a brew in a cafe if I can't have a smoke.... so I went home early and saved money: feel sorry for the cafe owener though: I used to spend around £15.00 a week but no more:
The cafe in the Church Street chippy, normally full at Tuesday lunchtime, was nearly empty today.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 00:29   #134
Accy Goddess

Got into work no smoking signs up. Out side in the pouring rain we had to go. Black ashtray stuck to the wall.
Clients are allowed to smoke in our small lounge and when finished the ashtray as to be removed, washed and put away.
Staff can no longer enjoy a fag n chat with client. We'll all catch peaumonia and die from the cold.
mmmm yea right.
Not a happy bunny.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 00:32   #135
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNE View Post
Got into work no smoking signs up. Out side in the pouring rain we had to go. Black ashtray stuck to the wall.
Clients are allowed to smoke in our small lounge and when finished the ashtray as to be removed, washed and put away.
Staff can no longer enjoy a fag n chat with client. We'll all catch peaumonia and die from the cold.
mmmm yea right.
Not a happy bunny.
Legally I don't think your company can allow clients to smoke in the lounge.

If you can't smoke, dob 'em in as well.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..