Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2007, 00:27   #1
Junior Member+

Smoking ban........

Hi, everyone. Can't seem to find a thread on the smoking ban, so here goes... First, let me say that although I am a smoker, I respect the rights of non-smokers, and agree with the ban IN PRINCIPLE. However, as I am also the driver of a company vehicle, I am confused. The ban is supposed to protect non-smokers, OK so far, but as most company vehicle drivers, truckers, delivery drivers, salespersons, etc, are alone in their vehicles, surely we are killing only ourselves. The ban does not extend to Mum and Dad who can take the 3 kiddies out in a private car, and smoke as much as they like. While most responsible parents would not do this, they will not be committing an offence, whereas I, all alone in my van can be nicked for enjoying a B & H on the M6..... As Terry Wogan says "Is it me......?" Will we now be seeing "Smoker Detector Vans" deployed on motorway bridges ? Comments appreciated....
mushroom42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-06-2007, 00:33   #2
Junior Member+

Re: Smoking ban........

OK, ok, so I didn't see the thread under "1st July 2007"...... sorry folks.......
mushroom42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2007, 02:21   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom42 View Post
surely we are killing only ourselves.
Well apart from the obvious answer of.....so thats Ok is it? .... When that red bit at the end of yer fag drops off and into your lap.. you burn your left testicle. it's pretty hard to control your car or lorry. It's the oncoming traffic who will suffer.. Not just you..

All smoking in cars should be banned..

I am a driver, I ahve smoked and I have had the end drop off and fall between my legs for me to jump around trying to find it... It's a wonder I didn't kill anyone... Thus speaking from experience
Old 28-06-2007, 06:15   #4

were do were draw aline many cars still have radios/cd players were you have to change cd or radio buy reaching over.hands free mobile phones still splits the drivers attention.sat nav have a screen that stays on when your driving to give you instructions i no people that turn the voice control off and use the screen display to navergate.
Old 28-06-2007, 18:27   #5
Passed away 25-11-09

I think the "you may drop the cigarette and cause an accident" argument is laughable. I was a driver-who-smoked for over 30 years until I gave up smoking and it didn't happen to me, or to my late husband, or to anyone in my family who drove and smoked, or to anyone I knew.

Think about it, please. Put the frying pan on and it might go up in flames, that happened to my neighbour; wash your car on your drive and someone might slip on the bubbles, that happened to another neighbour. The possibilities are endless, the probabilities are much much less.

I only know, personally, of 1 accident caused by a driver who was distracted by an activity in his car. A colleague of mine had her car rammed, and was quite badly hurt, by a driver who was groping around on the floor of his car. He admitted he had dropped his Fruitgums. Should we ban eating sweets while driving too?
Old 28-06-2007, 18:44   #6
Resting in Peace

[QUOTE=KIPAX;441063]Well apart from the obvious answer of.....so thats Ok is it? .... When that red bit at the end of yer fag drops off and into your lap.. you burn your left testicle. it's pretty hard to control your car or lorry. It's the oncoming traffic who will suffer.. Not just you..

/QUOTE]

Well, have done this myself Kipax and is dangerouse I agree, although never burnt my left testicle yet ...

Once driving round and round the roundabout at the Elephant and Castle looking for the correct exit, noticed had knocked the red bit off, smoke coming from gear stick, had burnt through leather .. grabbed can of coke that was open in my car (whoops drinking whilst driving too!) put out what I thought might have turned me into a charred cadiver, and broke weakened tooth at the same time. Needless, to say kept my cool and found correct exit.

Worst nightmare is if an unwelcome wasp enters your open window, then I really do panic. .

As above changing programmes on Radio, sat.nav extremely dangerous, not just looking at the blooming thing, but getting angry at that woman when the instruction is not very clear !! Puts my blood pressure up, I can tell ya'.
"Go on BITCH !! .. WHICH LANE DO I NOW TAKE ON THIS FAST MOVING EXIT SLIP ROAD, HURRY UP .. PEOPLE UP MY ARSE !!!" Oh, and it's all in bloody kilometres ..!
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2007, 18:47   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
until I gave up smoking and it didn't happen to me, or to my late husband, or to anyone in my family who drove and smoked, or to anyone I knew.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Well, have done this myself Kipax and is dangerouse I agree, although never burnt my left testicle yet ... !

West Ender meet Katex... Katex meet West Ender.....

Get out of that one west ender ?
Old 28-06-2007, 18:54   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX View Post

Yeh, but that is once only in a 'smoking whilst driving experience' of 46 years, and plenty of mileage per year I can tell you !.. and only two speeding offences during that period (not high speeds either before you ask )

Had more near do's whilst trying to find Radio 2 as I moved a further 100 miles down the road .. before that RDS (?) thingy.
Old 28-06-2007, 19:04   #9
Resident Waffler

It doesn't make sense though that someone alone in a cab is committing an offence and someone with other people in a private car isn't.

I thought this was supposed to be about smoking in public places? Since when has the cab of a lorry been a public place? Maybe they are considering any hitch hikers you may pick up.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2007, 19:34   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
It doesn't make sense though that someone alone in a cab is committing an offence and someone with other people in a private car isn't.

I thought this was supposed to be about smoking in public places? Since when has the cab of a lorry been a public place? Maybe they are considering any hitch hikers you may pick up.
It's just some company's policy if in a company car but, as far as I am concerned, they are just being pevish .. considering it is still to be yer place of work,etc., Willow. Ok if you have a colleague with you that doesn't smoke, fair enough, however, if on your own just control freaking. For instance, I can't smoke at work,ok about that, but if the Directors also decide I cannot smoke in my car 'on their car park' nothing I can do about it. To me, however, that would again be extremely churlish and controlling.

When I go anywhere nowadays, usually hire a car .. this company have 'no smoking' stickers emblazoned all over it. Not sure why ?? or how they stand legally, or what they could do about it if they discovered I had smoked whilst using it. Possibly because of the ash I may drop on the floor .. make more of a mess trying to eat a sandwich on a motorway service to be honest !! Crumbs and salt everywhere, and if they ever put one of those smelly air fresheners in them, will definitely think about claiming compensation, as have extremely bad reactions to them. !
Old 28-06-2007, 19:39   #11
Resting in peace

The best piece of advice I can give to smokers is, and I gave it to my wife, smoke and be happy, if that is where you you get your enjoyment from, just do not do it near me, or in the house that is shared between us. If a lifelong smoker enjoys smoking then so be it, all the propaganda dished out on TV will not add one days life to them, it is far to late, if a smoker wishes to stop that has to be their decision and not non smokers.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2007, 19:52   #12
Resting in Peace

Ah well, Ian .. guess 'tis too late for my blackened lungs, but looking at my newly decorated 'Barley White' ceilings, is having a little pull for cessation of this 'evil' habit, but that cold and rain outside is not very appealing, perhaps should get myself a smoking canopy now ... Wonder if I would get planning permission ?
Old 28-06-2007, 19:57   #13
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Ah well, Ian .. guess 'tis too late for my blackened lungs, but looking at my newly decorated 'Barley White' ceilings, is having a little pull for cessation of this 'evil' habit, but that cold and rain outside is not very appealing, perhaps should get myself a smoking canopy now ... Wonder if I would get planning permission ?
Consider it granted kate, my wife smokes in the garage attached to the house, she has tried to give up on numerous occasions, but at the end of the day she is far easier to live with smoking.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2007, 20:10   #14
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX View Post

Out of what? I have never met Katex in the flesh so she is hardly someone I know. I don't know you either but I'll keep an eye out for the one with a slight limp and a look of pain and I'll wave.
Old 28-06-2007, 20:48   #15

I this will cause a lot of worry to you all that smoke,i smoke my self,and i saw on the new,s on bbc this morning a landlord is prapaird to go to jail for letting is punnters smorke in is pub why can they not leave thing,s alone be cause i think my self all the punnters will stay at home and get carry out,s and then all the pub,s and club,s will shut.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..