Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 17:26   #76

Re: Smoking ban........

as this place is viewed by the public

can i please ask members new and old to refrain from smoking while viewing , replying , adding messages on Accy web.

also please bare in mind that you should not smoke at least 1 hour before entering the accy web as the smell will linger

i thank you
Old 01-07-2007, 17:28   #77
God Member

Prisons and Care Homes are exempt from the new ban...Ronnie Biggs must be happy!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 17:29   #78
God Member

Smoking of any kind is now illegal - so herbs and seaweed are banned too.
The definition of an enclosed space does include bus shelters if they have more than 2 sides.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 17:46   #79
God Member

Smokefree England - all about the smokefree legislation on 1st July 2007
Guidance on the law here

Old 01-07-2007, 17:54   #80
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Smoking ban........

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Smoking of any kind is now illegal - so herbs and seaweed are banned too.
The definition of an enclosed space does include bus shelters if they have more than 2 sides.
Not according to http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2006/20063368.htm it doesn’t.

Where did you get your signature quote from blazey? Or did you make it up?
Old 01-07-2007, 17:55   #81
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Prisons and Care Homes are exempt from the new ban...Ronnie Biggs must be happy!
Strange isn't? I remember reading that prisons would be exempt because it would interfere with the prisoners human rights, what the heck happened to my human rights? I haven't been found guilty of anything.

Perhaps what I need to do is get caught smoking in an enclosed public space, refuse to pay the fine, go to court, get sentenced and then I will have my smoking privileges returned to me.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 17:56   #82
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Not according to http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2006/20063368.htm it doesn’t.
Of course I didn't mean illegal -everywhere

Old 01-07-2007, 18:00   #83
God Member

[quote=jambutty;442908]

There is talk that some councils are asking home owners and tenants to not light up at least one hour before an official or workman is due to attend and certainly not during the attendance and also to open the windows during that time. Asking now - making it the law tomorrow?

I was under the impression that you can't have a fag in your house now if you've got workmen in as it would be their workplace.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 19:11   #84
Resting in Peace

Angry Re: Smoking ban........

[quote=Lilly;442932]
Quote:

There is talk that some councils are asking home owners and tenants to not light up at least one hour before an official or workman is due to attend and certainly not during the attendance and also to open the windows during that time. Asking now - making it the law tomorrow?

I was under the impression that you can't have a fag in your house now if you've got workmen in as it would be their workplace.
Being that this is a family forum, I wont type what I am thinking...
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 20:02   #85
God Member

[quote=magpie;442956]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post

Being that this is a family forum, I wont type what I am thinking...
I'm probably thinking the same as you.Put politely it's ludicrous isn't it?
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 23:29   #86

Maybe the next thing to be banned in public is eating certain foods as they can cause obesity. Tell you what, let's ban sweets, chocolates, fast food joints and anything made from animals. Oh and whilst we are at it can we also ban overpowering perfumes/aftershaves/deodorants. They don't half make me choke.
mothernature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 23:33   #87
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The ban is no smoking in ENCLOSED public places panther. Too many people are twisting the legislation to mean just places where members of the public have access to. Like walking down the street or in parks etc.
I’m not saying you are wrong garinda, but where does that come from? To enclose an area means a wall all the way round and a roof. Or is this just another urban myth that is being put forward by the anti-smoking lobby to try and get bus shelters and the like included in the ban?

As I understand it the ban only applies to tobacco products so in theory you could light up a fag made from cabbage leaves or fill your pipe with nettle leaves.

When the smoking in enclosed public spaces was first put forward by Labour they declared that private clubs, where members voted to allow smoking, and pubs, which do not serve prepared food would be exempt. Another Tony lie!
All I know is that the cafe owner can't allow people to smoke at the tables she has outside, in Accrington's Victorian Arcade, because it's classed as enclosed, and is open at both entrances.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:53   #88
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
This is not true staff cant smoke in care homes but residents can
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:41   #89
Resident Waffler

That's mad isn't it? It's all in the same place so why can't staff smoke too?

As for that outdoor/indoor nonsense in the arcade that sounds a bit like some jobsworth taking things to extremes.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:52   #90
Resting in Peace

Well for the residents its classed as there home so they can smoke but to the staff its a work place so they cant smoke
its stupid i know and where Anne works he is not sorting a shelter out all he has done is screwed a ashtray to the wall outside.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..