Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-04-2010, 18:59   #136

Re: the BIG three tonight

sorry Margaret R
martin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-04-2010, 19:02   #137
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin01 View Post
sorry Margaret R

Forum Rules

1: Interesting, informative, serious topics to be put in appropriate sections, where ever the poster sees fit.

2: All jokes, funny or silly topics to be kept to the Anything Goes section.

3: Serious threads to be kept that way, with the risk of any silly comments added being deleted.
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...mer-29681.html

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 19:05   #138
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
ya won't mate, seem to remember 1 back in 70s that did, but his own party turned n exiled him.
Yer getting 'owd, Cashy - it was '68 when Heath and co exiled EP.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 19:14   #139

oops
another clanger
I defer to your superiority
Martin
and of course the forum rules.
I do enjoy serious discussion so if you would like to engage me in anything scientific ('cause that's my bag) I would be delighted - you can choose what branch and we can go from there.
I do try to be a little light -hearted but I can see 'where you are coming from' - (sorry about the cliche.) and sorry if you have found offence where it wasn't intended.
martin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 20:01   #140
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin01 View Post
oops
another clanger
I defer to your superiority
Martin
and of course the forum rules.
I do enjoy serious discussion so if you would like to engage me in anything scientific ('cause that's my bag) I would be delighted - you can choose what branch and we can go from there.
I do try to be a little light -hearted but I can see 'where you are coming from' - (sorry about the cliche.) and sorry if you have found offence where it wasn't intended.
Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with injecting the odd bit of humour into a thread that's got bogged down in seriousness.

It does become a little tiresome to wade through a thread, when every other post is comic chatter, or yet another unrelated YouTube clip.

Old 22-04-2010, 21:40   #141
Full Member+

Ever the pessimistic optimist, I tuned into Sky3 for the Lion Man and got the debate instead. After half an hour I gave up as, like last time, they spoke a load of political gobblegook that neither answered the questions put, nor explained what they would do if elected to office. The whole charade is nothing but a scam intended to engage the electorate in the petty squabbles of the contenders, but has so far failed on every count.

I believe it was Sergeant Wilson in Dad's Army who uttered the prophetic words (though I stand to be corrected): "We're doomed, Captain Mainwearing. We're doomed

Last edited by Stumped; 22-04-2010 at 21:45.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 21:52   #142
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I thought it was hilarious, need summat now monty python is long gone, personally tonight, thought Brown finished well ahead, Cameron 2nd, n fer me Clegg was a complete joke. IMHO. as i expected the polls which are governed by ******* for ******* showed the opposite, which amuses me even more.
Old 22-04-2010, 22:52   #143
Senior Member+

I didn't watch the debate last week. But I watched most of it tonight. Whilst the format of the debate is not really Gordon Brown's forte, nevertheless I thought he came out of it quite well. The point he made about substance over style is bang on in my opinion.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 22:54   #144
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I didn't watch the debate last week. But I watched most of it tonight. Whilst the format of the debate is not really Gordon Brown's forte, nevertheless I thought he came out of it quite well. The point he made about substance over style is bang on in my opinion.
That i can agree with.
Old 22-04-2010, 22:56   #145
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
I believe it was Sergeant Wilson in Dad's Army who uttered the prophetic words (though I stand to be corrected): "We're doomed, Captain Mainwearing. We're doomed
It was the dour Private Frazer, played by John Laurie, who had that as his catchphrase.

Old 23-04-2010, 01:08   #146
God Member

watched the debate live on one of our Govt./Congressional channels (Cspan) seemed to me the Lib-Dem guy was running for the job of State Governor (United States of Europe) similar job as Arnold here in California and not as the Prime Minister of a Soveriegn State , guess when you have a Dutch mother , a Russian grandparent,and a Spanish wife one would tend to have divided loyalties .

Pity no live questions were allowed , it would have been interesting if any of the three could have answered the question during the energy supplies bit ..."how much was the last gas/electric bill you recieved for your home ? or how many and what colour are the bins/boxes/sacks you put out every bin day ?

steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 07:40   #147
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
watched the debate live on one of our Govt./Congressional channels (Cspan) seemed to me the Lib-Dem guy was running for the job of State Governor (United States of Europe) similar job as Arnold here in California and not as the Prime Minister of a Soveriegn State , guess when you have a Dutch mother , a Russian grandparent,and a Spanish wife one would tend to have divided loyalties .

Pity no live questions were allowed , it would have been interesting if any of the three could have answered the question during the energy supplies bit ..."how much was the last gas/electric bill you recieved for your home ? or how many and what colour are the bins/boxes/sacks you put out every bin day ?

Live questions?

You're having a laugh.

Live applause might be a start.

'The rules are that an audience member asks a preselected question. Each of the leaders replies in turn for a minute, without interruption. Each then responds in turn to the others' answers for one minute, again without interruption. There can then, "on merit", be "up to four minutes" of "free debate", the only part of the proceedings which actually appears to involve the leaders talking to each other.'

'No applause or heckling will be allowed – and critically, there seems little or no provision for follow-up questions, either by the audience or the moderator.'
Big fight on the small screen - Telegraph

Old 23-04-2010, 09:46   #148
God Member

It now appears that only 4million watched this nonsense on t'telly last night; that's less than watch the adverts on the shopping channel. I wonder when messrs Brown, Clegg and Cameron will get the hint that most are bored by their antics and a period of silence from them would now be most welcome.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 09:55   #149

This time it was difficult to decide who came out best,however like Camerons policy in terms of the 8,ooo pounds to pay for your care in later life if you require it to protect what you have worked for all your life.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 10:21   #150
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
This time it was difficult to decide who came out best,however like Camerons policy in terms of the 8,ooo pounds to pay for your care in later life if you require it to protect what you have worked for all your life.
yeh great.pair that wi the £6.500 ya will need fer insulation n everybodys laughing.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..