Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2010, 09:01   #211
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: the BIG three tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Yep i've a feeling your right Cashy, i wonder if a lot of the current opinions are also being influenced perhaps by a younger generation, via sites such as Facebook and Twitter, and are also responding to the glib soundbytes of perhaps more the media savvy and Younger Cameron & Clegg?

Best Regards - Taggy
cyfr will give ya answer to that un taggy. mind i should have added education can be a very dangerous thing.

Last edited by cashman; 30-04-2010 at 09:10.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-04-2010, 09:38   #212
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
thought gordon brown won tonight but the tory press had cameron in front cameron and clegg the tax credit snatchers
Not according to the BBC who also say Cameron came out in front, never realised they were right wing

Last edited by jaysay; 30-04-2010 at 09:42.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 09:42   #213
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
cyfr will give ya answer to that un taggy. mind i should have added education can be a very dangerous thing.
So dangerous Blair said it three times EDUCATION EDUCATION EDUCATION
Old 30-04-2010, 21:37   #214
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Well watched Brown on Jeremy Paxman tonight n much as i dislike Brown, he ripped Paxman to shreds n talked more sense than i heard from either of the other two.
Old 30-04-2010, 22:22   #215
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I'd almost say Brown was better than Clegg last night. He sounded like a one trick pony. Plague on all your houses doesn't work third time round. He just looked silly for trying it.
I'd agree Andrew. After the 2nd debate (which Brown lost again) buried deep in their reporting was some interesting findings in the ICM poll done after the debate.

1. Who would be best PM? GB 35%, Cameron 33% and Clegg 26%.

2. On the same question amongst C1's GB 39% v DC 27% and Clegg 26%, and C2s GB 39, DC 33 and NC 22.

3. On who would make the right decisions ins difficult times GB 43%, DC 34% and NC, 18%.

4. 47% of all voters think DC is more spin than substance, 54% of C1 voters believe that.

5. On decisiveness GB now leads DC 38 v33 and Clegg at 25.

I think winning the debate had two flaws. People do not like Brown and are reluctant to acknowledge or encourage with any support. That the after polls are not 'Who would make the best prime minister' but who appeared best on the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Must admit i watched this one, and i thought Brown came out the best of the 3 also. However the polls and the papers tell me otherwise....ah well just shows what i know doesn't it!! Best Regards - Taggy
I thought Brown came out slightly best. Cameron and Clegg level. I'd have gone Brown 38, Clegg 32 Cameron 30.

Clegg came across a bit more desperate and Cameron, cold, reliant on soundbites or populist appeals. I thought this was best demonstrated when Clegg exposed Cameron on immigration.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 23:00   #216
Senior Member+

Just watched Paxman interviewing Brown. Best interview he has ever given. Why didn't he do that 2 years ago?

Just listening to him you grasp why he is the best person to run the country out of the 3.
Old 30-04-2010, 23:08   #217
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Just watched Paxman interviewing Brown. Best interview he has ever given. Why didn't he do that 2 years ago?

Just listening to him you grasp why he is the best person to run the country out of the 3.
totally agree no question n i dont really like him.
Old 01-05-2010, 00:10   #218
Senior Member+

Double post

Last edited by g jones; 01-05-2010 at 00:13.
Old 01-05-2010, 00:11   #219
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
totally agree no question n i dont really like him.
Agreed. Not only his best ever interview but the only bloke I have ever seen trash Paxman. He made Paxman look ridiculous at every opportunity. I think Paxman needed carrying out on a stretcher.

Why now? Why so late? If he'd been like this two years ago he'd be ahead in the polls?? Why why why?
Old 01-05-2010, 01:51   #220
God Member

the debate would have been better if the "moderator " could have combined a couple of questions .... .... immigration , example(polish plumbers/electricians) .... how many British born kids have entered training schemes(apprenticeships to be plumbers/electricians) in the last 5 years . Why is it neccesary to fill the need in NHS hospitals with filipino nurses ? why haven't British kids been trained to fill these positions ?.......so much for forward planning by a Govt. in power for last 12/13 years

in my day Accy Tech, late 60s (up Sandy lane ) had classes for all trade apprentices , do they still have them ? if not why not ?
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:33   #221
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
the debate would have been better if the "moderator " could have combined a couple of questions .... .... immigration , example(polish plumbers/electricians) .... how many British born kids have entered training schemes(apprenticeships to be plumbers/electricians) in the last 5 years . Why is it neccesary to fill the need in NHS hospitals with filipino nurses ? why haven't British kids been trained to fill these positions ?.......so much for forward planning by a Govt. in power for last 12/13 years

in my day Accy Tech, late 60s (up Sandy lane ) had classes for all trade apprentices , do they still have them ? if not why not ?
I'd agree with most of the questions. Accy Tech as we knew it packed up because employers dried up. On the flip side the construction centre and further education in general have been greatly expanded.

My son completed an apprenticeship and I know that 20 years ago he would have been thrown on the scrap heap.

I know the numbers of nurses, doctors, dentists has been accelerated a great pace. It takes 7 years to train a dentist.

The issue of foreign labour is not being answered. They are dampening wages. Whilst it makes Britain more competitive it is also a false economy because there are the costly welfare payments to British citizens and the upset it causes.
Old 04-05-2010, 17:02   #222

time to remind ourselves of one of the greatest modern day philosophers --
martin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 17:15   #223

should I, should I not? ipsi dipsi sugar and ipsi ??????
YouTube - webcameronuk's Channel
Old 04-05-2010, 17:35   #224

economics Steely!
Brits that don't want to work give way to the Filipinos that do!----- same can be said for the Polish - the Irish - The pakistanis in their day - and every other nationality that appreciates being in work -- the government know this and play one off against the other' ultimately for financial gain - the drive is to get as many people as possible paying into the 'system' ( hence the massive inflow of immigrants ) in order to 'stash the cash'
Every business enterprise knows the value of the 'captive' market -- Tesco and the rest of em saw this a long time ago and now hold the small business man (and to a large degree) and the government to ransom - bring back Karl!!
Old 04-05-2010, 22:22   #225
God Member

There's a programme on ITV right now were the three potential Chancellors are being questioned.. I tell you the Tory George Osbourne is frightening.. the bloke has not got a clue!..god help us if that idiot ever gets control of this economy.
Osbourn was questioned over his prime target of raising inheritance tax to 1,000,000 and had the balls to say it would benifit "ordinay people"... in fact it would benifit only 1% of the population and save some millionaires 200k better off!.. lucky me
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..