Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 09:13   #31
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: This isn't racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heth View Post
Well this is the answer I got from a website Less...........

What is a ethnic minority? - True Knowledge
Quote:
The phrase 'ethnic minority' means a group that has different national or cultural traditions from the majority of the population
Oooh goody, in that case I qualify, I was born in Cheshire and live in Lancashire, now which of these courses mentioned earlier should I apply for?
Mind you, another snag is sex, still, if I have a word with my Doctor and explain that I feel excluded because of my sex, surely the NHS can waste thousands rectifying that for me?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-03-2011, 11:34   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
I have a word with my Doctor and explain that I feel excluded because of my sex, surely the NHS can waste thousands rectifying that for me?
Should we call you you Lesley from now on?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:46   #33
God Member

I haven't been on for a while so I've just seen this.

As far as the Civic Arts Centre is concerned on this - the group have hired the room for the afternoon for this show (I actually thought it was Lancashire County Council's youth service that had hired the room but that's by the by). We are promoting it to anyone and everyone who wants to come and see it - as far as I am concerned the production is for anyone. There are no exclusions allowed at the Civic. So please come along, I'm sure you'll find it illuminating.

Also, as Hyndburn Women's Forum sometimes gets lumped into these discussions. HWF was set up in 1994 by a group of women who called themselves Hyndburn Women's Forum. All the events organised this week are for anyone and everyone - nothing is exclusive. We had one man come to the conference on Monday but we do have a few men coming to see the Virginia Ironside show on Sunday.

At the conference we learnt about how young people (boys as well as girls) are being groomed for the sex trade in our own back yards. We learnt how to protect ourselves if we have to walk around at night and we learnt about setting life goals for ourselves. All of those things would have been just as interesting for a man as a woman.

HWF's role is to organise events to recognise International Women's Day, so naturally it's going to appear to be more focused on events that women might enjoy - BUT it's equally important that men in this country realise what is going on in other countries around the world. On International Women's Day we're not just sat around thinking up ways of excluding men from the party, we're actually acknowledging that over here we have it pretty good compared to women in some countries who are oppressed, abused and threatened simply because they are women.

Oh, and on Friday morning between 11am and 12noon we have a spot of Bollywood Aerobics - men dance as well, so come along.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:52   #34
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Should we call you you Lesley from now on?

Even that would be a refreshing change from some of the names I have been called.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:56   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Oh, and on Friday morning between 11am and 12noon we have a spot of Bollywood Aerobics - men dance as well, so come along.
Is this another flashmob do? If so. how much will it cost?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:57   #36
Give, give, give member

Nowhere has it been suggested that any events hosted at the Civic Arts Centre are exclusive to any one group.

However the production Hurried Steps is presented by the publicly funded group Lancashire-wide Network for Ethnic Minority Women, which in it's newsletter excludes people from activities they promote on grounds of race, as well as gender.

The legality of that is very questionable.

Morally it is abhorrent.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:09   #37
Give, give, give member

Quote:
We are promoting it to anyone and everyone who wants to come and see it - as far as I am concerned the production is for anyone. There are no exclusions allowed at the Civic.
So you're happy for the Civic Arts Centre to be used by a group to present a work, who are openly prejudiced against anyone who isn't a black, or minority ethnic woman, i.e. a racist group.

Since there are 'no exclusions allowed at the Civic', would you be happy if a similarly racist white supremacist group wanted to hire the space for one of their events?

Old 10-03-2011, 12:40   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
So you're happy for the Civic Arts Centre to be used by a group to present a work, who are openly prejudiced against anyone who isn't a black, or minority ethnic woman, i.e. a racist group.

Since there are 'no exclusions allowed at the Civic', would you be happy if a similarly racist white supremacist group wanted to hire the space for one of their events?
This play isn't racist - it's the opposite - it's aim is to foster understanding and to raise awareness of the plight of women in some countries. As I said, as far as I am concerned, this show is for everyone - please come along.

Every request for room hire will be considered individually. As we're an Arts Centre, then I would be questioning any event if it wasn't a play or show and wasn't inclusive.

We're not a venue for political meetings and politics should be left outside. If someone wanted to hire the place for a political rally then I wouldn't let them, whatever the cause. However, if they were putting on a play or show then I would have to consider it on its individual merits.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:52   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
This play isn't racist
No one has suggested that it is, or that it's appeal is to only one gender.
However the group that are presenting it are openly racist, in that they organise events that exclude others who aren't black, and minority ethnic women. They are racist because of that fact.

Quote:
HWF's role is to organise events to recognise International Women's Day...we're actually acknowledging that over here we have it pretty good compared to women in some countries who are oppressed, abused and threatened simply because they are women.
Human rights abuses, in other parts of the world, are not confined to women. To separate any particular group is counterproductive, and divisive.

Old 10-03-2011, 14:03   #40
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I don't see Hyndburn Woman's Forum as a sexist group in the same was I don't see the WI as a sexist group or the Masons.
Old 10-03-2011, 14:30   #41
Give, give, give member

I'd just like to make clear, I don't think there's anything wrong with the Civic Arts Centre hosting this production. Indeed it sounds quite interesting.

My problem is that there are organisations such as Lancashire-wide Network for Ethnic Minority Women, who are are openly discrimantory against others, along lines of race. As witnessed in their latest newsletter, and that they are part funded by the tax payer.

There are supposed to be laws which prevent racial discrimination, which should be applicable to everyone.

Old 10-03-2011, 15:18   #42
God Member

Thank you for making that clear Garinda.

As an Arts Centre, I see our role to challenge things and to sometimes put things on that are controversial or different. I think this play fits in that category and we have about 40 people booked in to see it. I'll let you know afterwards what the audience mix is like.

Not every show is suitable for every person - some people like musicals, some like comedy etc. We're doing Teenage Gigs for young people - no alcohol and from 6pm to 9pm - once a month, I can't see many older people wanting to come to that but if they did, they'd be most welcome. We're putting on shows that are clearly for young people (Xolisile's Song) and we're putting on shows that would probably appeal to older people (The Virginia Monologues). That's not to say that people other than the 'target' market couldn't come and enjoy them. And that doesn't make us sexist, ageist or racist for doing that.

We are trying to put on a variety of things so that over the course of a month, that in theory means that there should be something for everyone.

Old 10-03-2011, 15:25   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Thank you for making that clear Garinda.

As an Arts Centre, I see our role to challenge things and to sometimes put things on that are controversial or different. I think this play fits in that category and we have about 40 people booked in to see it. I'll let you know afterwards what the audience mix is like.

Not every show is suitable for every person - some people like musicals, some like comedy etc. We're doing Teenage Gigs for young people - no alcohol and from 6pm to 9pm - once a month, I can't see many older people wanting to come to that but if they did, they'd be most welcome. We're putting on shows that are clearly for young people (Xolisile's Song) and we're putting on shows that would probably appeal to older people (The Virginia Monologues). That's not to say that people other than the 'target' market couldn't come and enjoy them. And that doesn't make us sexist, ageist or racist for doing that.

We are trying to put on a variety of things so that over the course of a month, that in theory means that there should be something for everyone.
I only mentioned the Civic Arts Centre because that's where I saw mention of the Lancashire-wide Network for Ethnic Minority Women. Who I'd never heard of, until last night.

Reading their newsletter angered and sickened me, because of the open racism it contained.

I fully support the Civic Arts Centre, and genuinely applaud the very diverse things that are available there.

Old 10-03-2011, 15:33   #44
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I haven't been on for a while so I've just seen this.
By the way, welcome back.

You were missed.

Old 10-03-2011, 15:40   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I only mentioned the Civic Arts Centre because that's where I saw mention of the Lancashire-wide Network for Ethnic Minority Women. Who I'd never heard of, until last night.

Reading their newsletter angered and sickened me, because of the open racism it contained.

I fully support the Civic Arts Centre, and genuinely applaud the very diverse things that are available there.
Again, thank you for that. It's just a shame that we are now associated with it in this way via this thread.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..