Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Exile on Spencer St
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 1 Post By Michael1954
  • 1 Post By Hill Walker
  • 1 Post By RainbowSix

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-08-2023, 20:34   #1
Full Member+

Voice network shutdown via copper line

I don't know if anyone else has heard of this but all copper line services will be shutting down by end of 2025 and be replaced with digital and fibre services, this applies to landlines and broadband to providers using Openreach, which is most of them.

there is a page on Openreach which describes what will happen:

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broa...copper-network
Old 29-08-2023, 10:23   #2
God Member

Re: Voice network shutdown via copper line

Yes, I heard this some months ago when Open Reach (into your pocket) were installing some fibre cables. Another significant change that is just being imposed.
Maybe all that copper cabling will be needed to make electric motors in the west now African nations, with their natural resources, are moving towards being exploited by China and Russia

In the insignificant amount of publicity about this no one has been able to tell me whether or not those of us with (copper) land lines will be able to retain the existing telephone numbers, which are recorded with a multitude of agencies as a point of contact.
Ryewolf90 likes this.

Last edited by Exile on Spencer St; 29-08-2023 at 10:27. Reason: Update
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2023, 10:43   #3
Beacon of light

I received notification from BT that the analogue landlines are being shut down in favour of Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP for short) services.
Currently if you have a landline and there is a power cut your landline still works.
The VOIP relies on a Broadband connection so if there is a power cut, then the phone will not work.

Good old BT says that this will be alright because these days most people have mobile phones...but they forget that some of their customers do not have mobiles which is why they hold onto their land lines.

Those who do have mobiles are told to keep them charged up at all times because as I said a power cut will mean no phone unless your mobile is charged

There are places in the country where a mobile phone signal is abysmal...or worse...non existent.
So BT has said these customers MAY be provided with a battery back up system to cover any urgencies or emergencies.

I am led to believe that current digital phones will work on this new system but need to be close to the router...if it isn't then an adapter will be required...and these can be obtained from BT.

There is no option to opt out of this move, but you can do a broadband only offer but it save just a pitiful amount because landlines and broadband are sold together as a package.
So I am afraid that it is Hobson's Choice.

When the change over happens users will be notified and you keep your existing number.
Ryewolf90 likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2023, 11:05   #4
Beacon of light

Oh yes and there are going to be some 'roadshows' to explain things to the public...though the last time I looked there were none planned for our location.

All this does not inspire me but that is because I am a grumpy old baggage who distrusts these changes.
I do not have a mobile phone, nor do I want one...so maybe BT will supply me with a battery pack to ensure my house phone works in the event of a power cut.
Ryewolf90 likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 06:56   #5

I was changed over by Virgin Media several weeks ago. They said they were also going to install a second phone that would work in the event of a power cut, but I declined it as I have two mobile phones with separate providers: 3 Mobile which is contract and Tesco Mobile which is pay as you go. In the event of a power cut these mobiles will cover my needs.
Ryewolf90 likes this.

Last edited by Michael1954; 01-09-2023 at 06:59.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
I was changed over by Virgin Media several weeks ago. They said they were also going to install a second phone that would work in the event of a power cut, but I declined it.

A couple of points about the demise of the 'copper landline':-

1) Not all cell towers have 'Uninterruptible Power Supplies' (UPS aka Battery Backup) and so will be off air during power failures. Generally this is a problem for rural areas but urban users would be wise to check if they have a mobile signal the next time they have a power failure.

2) Most of the boxes which will replace the existing 'Master Socket' have a socket for a second (traditional) phone as offered to Michael1954 HOWEVER this socket may be needed to connect your burglar alarm/emergency call button or some other system which uses the 'phone system. Also note that this socket will only work during a power failure if the box has its optional UPS fitted. Also note that the optional UPS has a relatively small capacity only about 10-15 minutes if the 'phone, burglar alarm or whatever is in actual use, it will last longer if the line is not in use. If you end up with such a system DO NOT ring round your friends to see if they have power, this will run down both your batteries and theirs!
Ryewolf90 likes this.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 20:39   #7

Also, while Michael may have 2 mobiles on different networks they will both use the same cell towers. So if that one goes down your unable to communicate.
Ryewolf90 likes this.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..