Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-06-2012, 23:36   #91
Senior Member+

Thats just the point. She can't distinguish between who wants help and who wants to "leech" so the nature of the charity is to help any one.

The darker side of me thinks of those recovered drug addicts that became born again the money is then returned into the churches pocket somewhere.

Sent from my ST18i using Tapatalk
Old 17-06-2012, 07:01   #92
Give, give, give member

Re: Worse than The Depression - says Maundy founder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Thats just the point. She can't distinguish between who wants help and who wants to "leech" so the nature of the charity is to help any one.

The darker side of me thinks of those recovered drug addicts that became born again the money is then returned into the churches pocket somewhere.

Sent from my ST18i using Tapatalk
As I said, in my opinion her approach rarely works.

I'd like to know the recovery rates, for addicts who come into contact with Maundy Grange.

As far as I can see there are many more here now, than there was in 1998, the year they first opened their doors.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 07:09   #93
Give, give, give member

If you're unaware of how many properties have been taken over, try putting 'Maundy' and 'Accrington' in the search facility of the business phone book.

Business Name - The Phone Book from BT

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 07:59   #94
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
As I said, in my opinion her approach rarely works.

I'd like to know the recovery rates, for addicts who come into contact with Maundy Grange.

As far as I can see there are many more here now, than there was in 1998, the year they first opened their doors.
They probably come from far and wide for all the freebies and money to replenish their supplies.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 09:11   #95
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
If you're unaware of how many properties have been taken over, try putting 'Maundy' and 'Accrington' in the search facility of the business phone book.

Business Name - The Phone Book from BT
She ought to have a word with John Bird the man who started the Big Issue! He has been through it all and I've heard him say "never give street beggers cash!" Because they usually spend it on booze or drugs - take them to a shop and buy them some food - many beggars would not like that! Or give them gift coupons as these can be used to buy food in some supermarkets.

So this Maundy set up seems very naive if they giving amounts like £30:00 to people who drop in. They should re-think their strategy - has anyone written to the Observer about this? Also start a petition if you feel so strong about it.

Last edited by kestrelx; 17-06-2012 at 09:16.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 09:31   #96
Beacon of light

When we are out and about, we see the street beggars and my husband goes and buys a coffee(or in some cases a soft drink) and a sandwich and gives them that.......and we have not had a bad response from beggars......they seem to take the gift in the spirit it was intended.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 09:31   #97
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
She ought to have a word with John Bird the man who started the Big Issue! He has been through it all and I've heard him say "never give street beggers cash!" Because they usually spend it on booze or drugs - take them to a shop and buy them some food - many beggars would not like that! Or give them gift coupons as these can be used to buy food in some supermarkets.
Spot on wi that, about 10 yrs ago in manchester centre i was tapped up fer dosh fer food, I said NO, but i pointed to a cafe across the road n said i will buy yer some snap n a brew in yon, I was told to pish off, Since then i just ignore em,
Old 17-06-2012, 09:41   #98
Resting in Peace

Quote:

So this Maundy set up seems very naive if they giving amounts like £30:00 to people who drop in. They should re-think their strategy - has anyone written to the Observer about this? Also start a petition if you feel so strong about it.
I think your spot on with most of what you say kes especially John Bird, but its going to take somebody with real guts to start a petition, after all the council has never had the bottle to say anything about something which is so evident, to people who see it for themselves, but when you have TV stars backing them and actively raising money its not an easy task
Old 17-06-2012, 11:21   #99
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
One example of second hand tat - I arranged for the council to take away an old television set which was broken. It stood outside for two days in the rain until Hyndburn Used Furniture Stores collected it. A few days later I was walking along Abbey Streey and there was my knackered old telly in pride of place for sale in one of the Maundy Grange shop windows.
I also furnished my first home with second hand goods, and I love a rummage round second hand shops and charity shops, although I would never on principle go into any of the Maundy Grange shops.
Are you sure it was the same TV? It's not worth fixing 2nd hand TV's these days unless it wasn't bust or something very simple like a fuse needed replacing? Surely they wouldn't put a broken TV in the window!
Old 17-06-2012, 11:27   #100
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Saying this charity is just for junkies to leech off, to me that opinion is abhorrent, It is also, simple BS

Heroin addicts are sick. IF they are trying to kick the habit and get their life together they need charities like this. They need help. As much as I dislike the creatures they become when that drug takes them over.

A friend of mine that found himself out without a hope in the world of where to go went there a few years ago. She gave him some sort of letter and he got money for bond, got a house and they gave him furniture. He is not a smackhead.
Good point. It is quite difficult to get good re-hab on the NHS, so I heard from sources such as Amy Winehouses father who set up this trust, he says there isn't enough quality re-hab on the NHS. Also the issue is giving money (sums like £20 - £30 which is enough to buy drugs with) to heroine addicts, this is a key issue!

But as I don't live in the area and havn't seen the place and the surrounding shops that she has taken over. I know down South there are places like this that supply furniture but they are in warehouses off the main high street. What this set up in Accy appears to be is a mix of charity shop, drugs councilling and 2nd hand furnishing to help people in crisis. Which are usually all seperate concerns. You never see charity shops giving cash handouts to drug addicts.
Old 17-06-2012, 11:34   #101
God Member

I have given stuff to HUFS in the past, but find they are choosy about what they take.
They refused a solid wood bookcase, and reluctantly took an oak refectory dining table.

It seems their clients don't read books and eat off trays whilst watching TV

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 11:44   #102
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have given stuff to HUFS in the past, but find they are choosy about what they take.
They refused a solid wood bookcase, and reluctantly took an oak refectory dining table.

It seems their clients don't read books and eat off trays whilst watching TV
Just had a look at the HUFS website and there seems to be far more emphasis on electrical and leisure goods than home furnishings.

It's very rare these days to see a TV programme where folks eat at a dining table rather than on their laps in front of the TV. The only place to see families eating together at a table is in the ads which are trying to sell a vision of happy family life.
Old 17-06-2012, 11:48   #103
God Member

This coming week I am switching from gas cooking to electric.
I will have a clean fully functioning gas cooker surplus to requirements.
Normally I would offer it to HUFS but if there is a chance that Maundy will get it, I would rather leave it outside for the 'travellers' to collect for scrap.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 17:41   #104

Quote:
Are you sure it was the same TV? It's not worth fixing 2nd hand TV's these days unless it wasn't bust or something very simple like a fuse needed replacing? Surely they wouldn't put a broken TV in the window!
Yes it was definitely the same tv, it was very distinctive with some marks on it which I recognised - it was also second hand when I had it, my son gave it to me. I'd rather it was dumped which was my intention than went there.
Even though it didn't work it looked quite good, perhaps someone was able to fix it but I'm sure that it wouldn't work for long.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 21:01   #105
Senior Member+

To answer 1 of the previous questions I can categorically say that the same people I see hanging around Maundy are the same people I recognise from my time in a well known high street chemists, and I changed employers nearly 3 years ago, that's progress then. They havn't moved on, but why should they when handouts are there every week?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..