Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 17:52   #151
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Worse than The Depression - says Maundy founder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think you were kind calling her a wretch Margaret. When Maundy started out at first the late Ken Hargreaves sacked me if I would make a monthly donation to them,
Thought you 2 were good mates?
Old 06-07-2012, 18:36   #152
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thought you 2 were good mates?
Um another typo me thinks but very close to the mark really
Old 06-07-2012, 22:45   #153
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Accyman has a letter in the Accrington Observer...it is apt and truthful, but I am sure that next week there will be a load of letters supporting the work of MG......from the lily livered soft touch do gooders.
Well said Accyman. Karma left on another thread. I am sure that you said what many people actually think, but are reluctant to say.
Dunno who sent that letter, But i aint reluctant to agree wholeheartedly wi it.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:35   #154
Beacon of light

Cashy, it is a very appropriate letter without getting emotional about the subject of scroungers - there is no rancour in it, no name calling........which in my book makes it absolutely spot on.
It is just a great big spoonful of truth...but you wait and see what response it gets in next weeks Obby.......there will be many who disagree with it because it isn't PC to criticise a charity...(people will see it as a personal criticism of Dorothy MacGregor) and it will attract comments purely because of this.
People will not look and see how truthful it is...well, that is, unless I perhaps pen something myself.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:45   #155
God Member

Quote:
Cashy, it is a very appropriate letter without getting emotional about the subject of scroungers - there is no rancour in it, no name calling........which in my book makes it absolutely spot on.
It is just a great big spoonful of truth...but you wait and see what response it gets in next weeks Obby.......there will be many who disagree with it because it isn't PC to criticise a charity...(people will see it as a personal criticism of Dorothy MacGregor) and it will attract comments purely because of this.
People will not look and see how truthful it is...well, that is, unless I perhaps pen something myself.
Hope you're off-line right now because you are penning the letter!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:28   #156
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Go on Margaret, give it some wellie, in true MargaretP style
Old 07-07-2012, 10:50   #157
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
.....there will be many who disagree with it because it isn't PC to criticise
And that is the crux of the problem, due to UK's enforced acceptance & tolerance legislation which in itself is intolerant & unPC by it's very nature.
Old 07-07-2012, 13:58   #158
Resting in Peace

Just two observations on the Letter in the Obs straight and too the point without going OTT and that's why our Accyman didn't write it, it was far to nice and not blunt enough
Old 07-07-2012, 14:15   #159
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Just two observations on the Letter in the Obs straight and too the point without going OTT and that's why our Accyman didn't write it, it was far to nice and not blunt enough
So does that put me outa the running then?
Old 07-07-2012, 14:17   #160
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
So does that put me outta the running then?
That gives you no chance at all mateya spades a spade not a shovel
Old 10-07-2012, 16:09   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly baby View Post
There is an article here about Doroty's background,
Crisis management | Society | The Guardian
Makes quite interesting reading.
However, I do agree that she is facilitating the needs of druggies and alcys by dishing out hard cash.
This article was from October 2003, so maybe that explains some of her comments.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..