Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-05-2008, 20:42   #46
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Would you do it.

I feel the same as the majority about this, if one of mine was or had been involved in something criminal I would report it. It would break my heart to do it but then it would break my heart for them to do wrong in the first place. I would feel I had failed as a parent and, no, I'm not saying, "It's always the parents at fault" because sometimes it isn't but that's how I would feel about myself. I would be heartbroken and ashamed but I would have to do it.

I applaud this woman for what she has done. She's a decent person and she has done the right thing. Her family members, in disowning her, show where these men got their attitude from.
Accrington Web
Old 30-05-2008, 21:19   #47
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Well Margaret, think you have to be in this situation to know what you would do ... maybe I would, may I wouldn't .. least I have the guts to admit this. Like I said .. I just don't know ?? Blood is thicker than water. It's easy to hypothesize and say you would definitely do this .. but if that lovely little grandson of yours, later in life, did something like this, do you think you could honestly say you would march him down to the cop shop ? All sounds very admirable and the correct way to re-act .... but at the end of the day........
While i agree that circumstances may change the way things are perceived.......I have not one iota of doubt in my mind about what I would do.........and I would do it to preserve my integrity and his as well and out of a sense of love. If you don't follow through and be true to your lifelong ethics then you live forever with the guilt of knowing that you didn't do the right thing....it is what I would want all other parents to consider too.
You have to be brave to carry out these threats.
My daughter would tell you that I would never promise something without making sure that I delivered on that promise.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 21:25   #48
God Member

[quote Margaret P]My daughter would tell you that I would never promise something without making sure that I delivered on that promise.[/quote] Think the reason there are so many problems today is that promises are rarely kept regarding discipline and once the kids know you aren't going to follow through you lose their respect
Old 30-05-2008, 21:30   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
While i agree that circumstances may change the way things are perceived.......I have not one iota of doubt in my mind about what I would do.........and I would do it to preserve my integrity and his as well and out of a sense of love. If you don't follow through and be true to your lifelong ethics then you live forever with the guilt of knowing that you didn't do the right thing....it is what I would want all other parents to consider too.
You have to be brave to carry out these threats.
My daughter would tell you that I would never promise something without making sure that I delivered on that promise.
Ah well, naturally respect your thoughts... let's just hope we will never be put in this position. Must be a nightmare to see your children turn into a vindictive attacker.

Not every mother/grandmother are as strong and brave as yourself Margaret and they just go with their feelings; heart overuling their heads.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 21:33   #50
Beacon of light

I hope so too Kate.....it must be a terrible position to be in...which is why this particular mother should be applauded. I hope her family come to their senses too, and realise that she did what she did, out of love for her boys.
Maybe this is a lesson they should have learned earlier in their lives.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 21:45   #51
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I hope so too Kate.....it must be a terrible position to be in...which is why this particular mother should be applauded. I hope her family come to their senses too, and realise that she did what she did, out of love for her boys.
Maybe this is a lesson they should have learned earlier in their lives.
Still feel there is some history here though .. they surely can't have suddenly attacked someone like this and been caught laughing about it, etc. ? Don't get me wrong, would like to think I would do as this lady, just can't be 100% sure I would.

Will try and watch this interview in the morning to see what she has to say.
Old 30-05-2008, 21:51   #52
God Member

I will be honest here.. it's all very well to type on a forum saying I would report my son or daughter for stealing or what the courts would call "petty crimes" .. but for an incident that would result in your son going to jail for a long time I personally would have to way up the odds.. would it really do much good to the victim? It may give them some comfort in knowing the culprit has gone to jail... but I 'm not sure that would be enough for me.

There was a young lad set upon and killed by a group of youths near my place, I found it disgusting that No parents came forward to the police to say their son was part of it.. but I did meet a resident of the estate were it happend and confronted them about the "silent wall" the police were up against.. I was told sharply that no one is willing to give up their child to spend life in jail when it would not bring the victim back to life...umm?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 23:12   #53
white rabbits

Looking at that picture of the victim,,,,I would shop them too,,,even if they were my sons,,,It would break my heart but this is a terrible world we live in now.that poor chap will now be blind ,,,,
Old 30-05-2008, 23:27   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
Looking at that picture of the victim,,,,I would shop them too,,,even if they were my sons,,,It would break my heart but this is a terrible world we live in now.that poor chap will now be blind ,,,,
And what would that give back the mans sight?.. no.. would your really give up your son for the sake of doing the right thing?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 23:29   #55
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
And what would that give back the mans sight?.. no.. would your really give up your son for the sake of doing the right thing?
YES I WOULD ,ABSOLUTELY,,
think of your own family .if you were the victim,,
Old 30-05-2008, 23:34   #56
Accy Goddess

I would like to think I could hand my child in for the wrong doing but I have never been in that situation and never want to be.
It would depend on the crime and circumstances. I would hope I could persuade them to do the right thing and hand themselves in.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 23:36   #57
white rabbits

People like that are just monsters,,,
Old 30-05-2008, 23:47   #58
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
No, your actions can't give the victim his sight back, but you could give the people you are supposed to love the gift of realising that when we do wrong there are consequences to pay.

I saw this woman on the news. She looks heart broken, but still insists she did the right thing, and would do so again.

She also said one of her sons told her if she did go to the authorities, if not he then someone else, will make sure she never wakes up one morning.

This woman hasn't been paid for any interviews, and more power to her, and others like her, that care about society, and love their children, even if showing that love is sometimes very hard.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 23:57   #59
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
She also said one of her sons told her if she did go to the authorities, if not he then someone else, will make sure she never wakes up one morning.

Does this not show though Garinda that there is definitely some history here. They have not been good all their lives and suddenly set out to attack and hurt an innocent victim. They are obviously showing no remorse, and to threaten the mother in this way shows apples rotten to the core and probably her last ditch attempt to stop them hurting anyone else, and hope that they can be reformed by her actions.

Different scenario altogether to what we are discusssing.
Old 31-05-2008, 00:02   #60
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

I saw this woman on the news. She looks heart broken, but still insists she did the right thing, and would do so again.

This woman hasn't been paid for any interviews, and more power to her, and others like her, that care about society, and love their children, even if showing that love is sometimes very hard.
Well said Rindy,
I have three grown up sons,and thank god they are all good honest hard working lads.I feel so sorry for the mother in question,but at the end of the day she is between the devil and the deep blue sea,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..