Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-07-2005, 13:35   #91
God Member

Re: Wouldn't it be good if........

I know..

Another thing we'd all have to agree on is what wording we would want on the wrist band? They usually have a short message.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-07-2005, 13:37   #92
God Member

Just cut two lengths of ribbon, one green one white and either make then into a band with a knot joining both ends or curl then a la breast cancer and put a stich in them.

I reckon you could make thousands for £100

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 13:38   #93
God Member

Forgot to say, Why not also approach the Observer and get them to buy in. They may even stump up some cash!
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 13:39   #94
God Member

A couple of places that do wrist bands. We could either order stock items or have them made with wording on specific to us - this affects the cost.

http://www.wristbands.co.uk/fundbands.htm

http://www.mailorderwristbands.co.uk...menu=wholesale

Old 22-07-2005, 13:40   #95
Member.

This could be done quite simply. What are we looking at in terms of sizing? One for children and one for Adults? I would stay away from moulded type products unless your production run is going to be in the millions.

If you went with the ribbon idea, the production and material cost would be minimal. You might even get a producer to donate the ribbon and coloured thread on rolls that would just need cutting to length and tying off. Then you would have more of your funding available for packaging and for getting your main message across which is perhaps the must important part. Wearing a band is fine, if those seeing it doesn’t know what it represents then you’ve wasted you time.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 13:40   #96
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Forgot to say, Why not also approach the Observer and get them to buy in. They may even stump up some cash!
Blood and stone are two words that come to mind!

Old 22-07-2005, 13:45   #97
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
Blood and stone are two words that come to mind!
You might well find that. But think on, this is topical and has the potential to go national which may well show them to be community spirited. They might well act in there own self-interest but if it gets the job done why not

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 22-07-2005, 13:56   #98
God Member

We could try... I'm not saying we shouldn't but don't hold your breath.

Old 22-07-2005, 14:05   #99
Beacon of light

What about 'Not in my Name'.........only because that was on the posters held by muslims at the silence and at the vigil........and it does say it all.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 14:10   #100
Senior Member+

on the bands we cud have united for peace or something along those lines?
Old 22-07-2005, 14:11   #101
God Member

I think that's a brilliant idea Margaret.

Old 22-07-2005, 14:14   #102
Beacon of light

because it came from the muslim community I think it might add to its appeal......and it would, I'm sure be acceptable to everyone else too.......the other phrase that is in use at the moment is 'we're not afraid'....and there is a website of pictures of people who support London.......but I'm not sure if 'We're not afraid' might be construed as confrontational.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 14:15   #103
Member.

Multi Faith – One Nation.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 22-07-2005, 14:15   #104

I think this is possibly one of the most obscene ideas I have ever heard. You say that if a mulsim was not wearing the wristband it would not mean they were supporting the terrorists. Yeah right.
What people don't understand is that just because you are asian does not mean you are muslim. There are many countries in 'Asia' and many religions and cultures. So any young asian male with a rucksack would be a legitimate target for abuse, as they were a target on Thursday for police suspicions.
What would happen if the bombers had been Christian fundamentalists, of which there are many in the world. Would Christians have to wear wristbands? And what would happen if they didn't?
Don't get me wrong, I understand you are only trying to help raise money, but this has to be one of the worst thought through ideas I have ever come across. Really.
dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 14:19   #105
Member.

The only issue I see with “Not In My Name” is that it was coined and widely used by the anti war brigade to protest against the Gulf War……………..

http://www.signsofthetimes.org.uk/feb15.html

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..