Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-07-2005, 15:22   #151
Beacon of light

Re: Wouldn't it be good if........

BR......if you had read the thread you would see that is what is being proposed......maybe you only read the first post......but as the thread wore on you will see that that is what we're in favour of.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-07-2005, 15:24   #152
Beacon of light

Gayle....maybe the moderators could help you there. There must be a bank account for Accyweb as donations are accepted from member and sponsors...perhaps financial transactions could be done through that.
Old 26-07-2005, 15:36   #153
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Gayle send a P.M. to Roy it's his site, he can tell you what will or won't be allowed so far as the site is concerned.

The other thing is unlike his Dad he doesn't BITE!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 21:27   #154

In a recent Telegraph survey of British muslims, when asked if they had sympathy with the feelings and motives of the london suicide bombers, 24% of muslims either said "yes, a lot" or "yes, a little". Now bearing in mind there are around 1.6 million muslims in Britain that equates to nearly 400,000 muslims who have a lot, or some, sympathy for the actions of the london suicide bombers.

I for one find that fact extremely scary.

Whilst I agree with Margaret's idea I'd be extremely surprised if any muslims would openly show opposition to another muslim brothers actions. Remembering that in the twisted vision of some muslims, this is a "holy war" !
BumFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 01:33   #155
Senior Member+

ok

for the constitution - i've already set up one charity - friends of thalassemia - we went thru the whole constitution thang there - and how the bank account needs to b in two peoples names etc

esp if its a charity.

i emailed that link for the ribbon makers and they've mailed me back saying they've sent me some samples and will b more than happy to discuss prices etc once i know for sure colour, width etc

as for whom the money will go to - i was thinking that maybe we could b one of those charities who gets applications from organisations whose purpose is to help integration and working together of multi-cultural britain.

the accounts etc will b open adn fully audited - i need to speak to a friend of mine in london - she researched about registering as a charity so we can do that and b an official charity - it holds much more water than just a mickey mouse thing which has recent watchdog progs have shown are very prone to fraud.
Old 27-07-2005, 12:30   #156
Beacon of light

Good work Mani.........
And BF........I know what you are saying but there are lots of muslims who do not agree with what is being done in their name........witness the 2 minute silence and the vigil......they were holding up placards saying 'Not in my Name'......so I think we won't know if we don't try.
The idea might fail........or it may take off and show that there are many people against terror tactics........we have to give it a go.

Mani......about wording.......I thought that maybe 'Not in my Name' would be appropriate because it relates to all people...not just muslims, but another one that came to mind was 'NO 2 Terror'.......if anyone else on Accyweb has any other ideas we could use, then please feel free.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 27-07-2005 at 12:34. Reason: unfortunate wording....duh!
Old 27-07-2005, 12:37   #157
Beacon of light

Mani......it might be worthwhile to see if we can get funding from some other source....... we need to see if the idea has wings before we get into setting up a charity......the first wristbands/ribbons be distributed free.....just to get the idea off the ground.
Old 27-07-2005, 14:00   #158
God Member

I sent of Daniel Thwaites application yesterday for £450 - I think I might have mentioned it already earlier. Anyway, struggling to send of the Co-op one because we need a bank account which the website doesn't actually have - it's Roys own personal one which means it can't be used.

So, I'm currently looking at other options - I haven't stopped trying.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 16:21   #159
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

just hope this suceeds,and well done to everyone working to make it.
Old 27-07-2005, 18:46   #160
God Member

OK,

Here is my 2p,

I would behappy to make a contribution. If we said say £5. not a lot for anyone on any income. If we could get £50-£100 together we get a load of white and green ribbon from the sewing stall in the market hall. I'm sure a good few people would be happy to give a few hours time in doing either of the following

1) Tie a piece of green ribbon to a piece of white ribbon. That way they can be tied to any size wrist on the spot.

2) Make up a simple green and white ribbon tie, it probably needs two or three stitches to a loop of each colour just to hold them together.Add a safety pin(20 for ~50p)

I reckon with £50 we could make hundreds of each.

To distribute them, How about getting some kids(Willow?) to paint up a sheet in the name that is chosen and set up outside the Town Hall on a Saturday GIVING them out. No donations, Tell people to give money to the family of that lass from Ossy for the kids. Make a few posters so people know what its about.

If its successful other towns could happily follow. Let them work it out for themselves, we can happily advise.

Ian

e
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 19:05   #161
Senior Member+

Will go along with that one Ian, count me in

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 19:14   #162
Beacon of light

I think that Mani has got someone sending him some professional samples......It would be better done professionally so that it looks like we mean business.......but all options are still open.

Gayle is also looking for funding so that we can have something professionaly done.
every little helps.
Old 27-07-2005, 20:05   #163
Member.

Not a bad idea Ian. If all else fails and Margaret, Mani and the others want to do something to make the original idea work I’d be happy to throw a couple of Bob in to the pot. I have to say that everyone seemed to be happy over there today; I saw lots of happy smiling faces all over the place, and the place looked very nice up around by the Town Hall. Lots of colour in the planting schemes and lots of greenery. Very pleasant…………….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 23:08   #164
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
OK,

Here is my 2p,

I would behappy to make a contribution. If we said say £5. not a lot for anyone on any income. If we could get £50-£100 together we get a load of white and green ribbon from the sewing stall in the market hall. I'm sure a good few people would be happy to give a few hours time in doing either of the following

1) Tie a piece of green ribbon to a piece of white ribbon. That way they can be tied to any size wrist on the spot.

2) Make up a simple green and white ribbon tie, it probably needs two or three stitches to a loop of each colour just to hold them together.Add a safety pin(20 for ~50p)

I reckon with £50 we could make hundreds of each.

To distribute them, How about getting some kids(Willow?) to paint up a sheet in the name that is chosen and set up outside the Town Hall on a Saturday GIVING them out. No donations, Tell people to give money to the family of that lass from Ossy for the kids. Make a few posters so people know what its about.

If its successful other towns could happily follow. Let them work it out for themselves, we can happily advise.

Ian

e
Just a thought, rather than buy ribbon and pins from Accy Market, buy direct from the manufacturer. A quick search on Google brought up lots. Delivery is normally by return, and someone may need to put it on a card. Thats what l used to do.

If you explain what it's for you may even get an even better price. Less cost = more free ribbons.

Good luck.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 01:42   #165
land of hope and glory

happen we could paint up a few multi coloured backpacks all donations welcomed, how about donating to what you are enrolled on ? derrrrrr make a donation to accy web? at least you are getting something out of it!you want to shout off but believe me charity begins at HOME!
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..