Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-01-2015, 21:07   #106
Senior Member+

Re: Bury Match Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
All Stanley first 15 mins and we should have made better use of winning the majority of the aerial battles. However Bury should have scored when there striker messed up a volley when 8 yards out around the 17 min mark. Burys centre half nearly got on the end of a whipped in free kick around 20 mins. Bury are trying to expose the flanks as we push up , their number 2 practically hugged the line from 25 mins onwards. Again that same defender number 27 arrived in the box with pace from a corner and caught Stanley asleep which went just over the bar around 38 mins. At the very end of the half bury again exploited Stanley s lack of pace and space down buxtons side but missed their chance again. A equal 1st half but bury should have taken one of their chances and Stanley need to rethink the tactics or close down the source of Burys passes to the left wing , as there is every chance Bury will not keep being so careless in the 2nd half. Buxton looks a lot more exposed than Winnard. Maguire and McCartan have done nothing while Joyce's decision making with the ball has been a second to slow.
You were obviously at a different match then. First 15 was all Bury. Time for the Messiah and you to go methinks (my opinion only). Buxton and Mingoia played well for me that is until Buxton was subbed due to another injury. Yes Stanley played with some passion especially in the last 20 minutes but it was same old same old. No height up front playing against a team of thugs (for want of a better word) fore arm tackles and rugby tackles have no place in football, yet Bury were getting away with it most of the night. Referee was poor IMHO. Could have and should have booked players and the goalscorer should not have been on the pitch again IMHO. I thought Maguire had a half decent game but until we have some height up front then we are not going to score. Why not try Hunt as centre forward, he can do no worse than the players who were up front tonight. Really annoyed because we did not deserve to lose, nor did we deserve to win either. Promotion, forget it, I think we are safe from relegation, but we are going to lose more than we win up until the end of the season unless things change rapidly.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-01-2015, 21:15   #107
Junior Member+

Anyone else notice the presence of Graham Westley in the main stand tonight?
I certainly did so asked him "Do you remember the play off semi final from a few years ago?" He said "Yes" So i asked him "Could you explain to me why you decided to set up your team to cheat and injure our players to get through to the play off final?" He replied with a wry smile and "Enjoy the game." I noticed instantly that he didn't exactly deny it...
As for the game, unlucky to lose, it was very even and just one lapse of our defence gave them the win, unfortunately these lapses are becoming very common these days.
DAV007 likes this.
dantoro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 21:23   #108
Junior Member+

Also, why on earth did we have the Bury announcer on the tannoy? Just ludicrous
DAV007 likes this.
dantoro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 21:38   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
....... Why not try Hunt as centre forward, he can do no worse than the players who were up front tonight. Really annoyed because we did not deserve to lose, nor did we deserve to win either. Promotion, forget it, I think we are safe from relegation, but we are going to lose more than we win up until the end of the season unless things change rapidly.
Here's a revolutionary idea... Why not try one of our centre forwards sitting on the bench as a centre forward???? Bit radical for for our current management team I think.

I agree we didnt deserve to win tonight, little passion, little desire.... Are they playing for the manager??
FrankMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 21:42   #110
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMoody View Post
Here's a revolutionary idea... Why not try one of our centre forwards sitting on the bench as a centre forward???? Bit radical for for our current management team I think.

I agree we didnt deserve to win tonight, little passion, little desire.... Are they playing for the manager??
What Manager?
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 21:58   #111
Senior Member+

Thought we had a right go and deserved at least a draw against a very physical team.
I was convinced we would keep a clean sheet and the sweeper conneely was excellent.
We played some great possession football but once again lacked that killer touch.
I was on the fence about the keeper,and for me the goal scored just needed him to come and deal with it.he started to come then stopped and the lad just headed it in from a couple of yards-- did he bottle the challenge?,only he will know,but other keepers would have smashed the lad.
Not too disheartened and thought Joycy played a captains role (except for the two corners near the end !!!)
Oldgobbin, AccyMad and DAV007 like this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 22:07   #112
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Thought we had a right go and deserved at least a draw against a very physical team.
I was convinced we would keep a clean sheet and the sweeper conneely was excellent.
We played some great possession football but once again lacked that killer touch.
I was on the fence about the keeper,and for me the goal scored just needed him to come and deal with it.he started to come then stopped and the lad just headed it in from a couple of yards-- did he bottle the challenge?,only he will know,but other keepers would have smashed the lad.
Not too disheartened and thought Joycy played a captains role (except for the two corners near the end !!!)
Was going to post but saw it the exact same way as you.

As for the tannoy ridiculousness... There are serious questions to be asked of the people who make these decisions.

Getting sick of the club taking the **** out of itself.
Oldgobbin, AccyMad, baldy and 3 others like this.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 22:10   #113
Resting in Peace

For once I agree with Football19 on his points, except I don't really think we deserved a draw, as I can't remember Pope having a save to make, yet Bury had 2 golden chances in the 1st half. Certainly our keeper should have caught the cross to prevent the goal. Carver on for the last 2 minutes? Come on, Coley, stop messing with his head and give him a decent chance, instead of persevering with Maguire, another waste of space loanee!
cashman and BTLawson like this.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 22:19   #114
Senior Member+

A really disappointing result tonight against Bury.
I thought that a draw would have been a fair result.
The play in the first half was fairly equal but Bury had three real scoring chances from which they should have had at least one goal. Their centre half put a header over the bar in front of the Clayton End from about five yards and they also had two shots hit over the bar. We didn't really have a shot on target during the first half.
The second half was a total turnaround and our players took charge of the game.
We had far more possession and moved the ball down the wings well with Pierro doing some great work on the right. I thought that we could have got the ball to him even more as he was really outplaying their left back.
We had loads of chances to score but without a real centre forward with the "knack" in the box it was looking unlikely that we would get the goal that our overall second half display deserved. Inevitably, we got 'sucker punched' with nine minutes to go. Having blocked one cross we left a BIG guy clear on the far post and well....that was that!
On the POSITIVE side........Buxton had a good game for me but needs more match fitness. Coneely was probably our best player. He was cool under pressure. His positional play was excellent and he didn't waste a single pass. Atkinson was steady as usual. Procky played his heart out and Luke Joyce got stuck in and played further upfield in the second half where I would prefer him to be all the time. Shay McCarten was busy and was a bit unlucky near the end when he got into a good scoring position but the ball got stuck 'under' his feet! As I already said Pierro did well on the right wing.
On the disappointing side ......... It is a bit difficult to understand why we didn't bring Carver on with twenty to twenty five minutes to go. He was only brought on at 87 minutes played. In those last three minutes plus the four added on he did ok and had he been on earlier I think that he could have put a lot of pressure on their defence. Their number 5 had been booked and he would have been at real risk of an early bath had Carver been allowed to work on him! Of course the number 5 should have been booked earlier but that apart I thought that the referee was quite good. I also thought that the young lady running the line on the Whinney Hill side did a good job too.
I looked at the BBC stats for the match and we had 17 shots on goal but only four were on target with no goals scored. Bury had ten shots on goal with three on target and one scored. If we had the same 'conversion rate' as Bury then we would have won 3 - 1.
We are clearly missing John O'Sullivan who seems to be having a 'holiday' at Rovers!
We need a Centre Forward. I don't know what the situation is with Tom Aldred but if he is staying then I would put him 'Up Front' alongside Marcus Carver.
This was the biggest match of the season so far for us.... but now the next match on Saturday against Northampton becomes "THE BIGGEST MATCH OF THE SEASON".
Keep the Faith everyone.
ON STANLEY ON
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 22:34   #115
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
You were obviously at a different match then.
Clearly,
as your version of events is simply bizarre.

First half Bury where the better team, 2nd half Stanley where the better team.

I assume its a lack of match experience which is the problem with Macey which is why Arsenal have allowed him to come out on loan
His confidence will only grow with more game time but he does have a mistake or two within him.

I though Buxton was our worst player today, he was a constant liability defensivly.
I though Conneely was MOM (the difference in playing him at CB instead of LB!) and did well against Hope who for me was doing well for Bury, no idea why they subbed him.
Atkinsons distribution is shocking, he gave the ball away numerous times.
Winnard played well at right back.
I though Proccy had his best game in a while.
McCartan and McGuire where both non existent in the first half, especially McGuire who is clearly NOT a centre forward.
McCartan grew into the game 2nd half but McGuire continued to do nothing in the striker role, surely he cant play in the next game?

Wile we had a few chances in the 2nd half, and Windass messed up his chance from 6 yards out towards the end, we did not make any clear cut chances.
Bury had the better chances but only in the 1st half, 2nd half they didnt create alot.
I thought the referee did well, he tried to let the game flow.

Im dissapointed we lost, we didnt deserve to but we must start taking our chances.
I would pick the same team for the next game EXCEPT for McCartan, McGuire and Buxton who must be dropped.
McCartan has had his chance and not come up with the goals in recent weeks likewise McGuire is not a striker, the lad has had more than his fair share of chances and should benched for Carver or Bowerman.
Buxton was a liability, if he is not fit enough yet then he should be benched for Liddle.

Some good positives tonight, especially in the 2nd half.
We have the makings of a good team, just need a focal point up top and need to sort out the defensive lapses.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 22:38   #116
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Was going to post but saw it the exact same way as you.

As for the tannoy ridiculousness... There are serious questions to be asked of the people who make these decisions.

Getting sick of the club taking the **** out of itself.
the 2nd half announcement 'welcome back onto the field the mighty shakers' was out of order.
Old 27-01-2015, 22:42   #117
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Clearly,
as your version of events is simply bizarre.

First half Bury where the better team, 2nd half Stanley where the better team.

I assume its a lack of match experience which is the problem with Macey which is why Arsenal have allowed him to come out on loan
His confidence will only grow with more game time but he does have a mistake or two within him.

I though Buxton was our worst player today, he was a constant liability defensivly.
I though Conneely was MOM (the difference in playing him at CB instead of LB!) and did well against Hope who for me was doing well for Bury, no idea why they subbed him.
Atkinsons distribution is shocking, he gave the ball away numerous times.
Winnard played well at right back.
I though Proccy had his best game in a while.
McCartan and McGuire where both non existent in the first half, especially McGuire who is clearly NOT a centre forward.
McCartan grew into the game 2nd half but McGuire continued to do nothing in the striker role, surely he cant play in the next game?

Wile we had a few chances in the 2nd half, and Windass messed up his chance from 6 yards out towards the end, we did not make any clear cut chances.
Bury had the better chances but only in the 1st half, 2nd half they didnt create alot.
I thought the referee did well, he tried to let the game flow.

Im dissapointed we lost, we didnt deserve to but we must start taking our chances.
I would pick the same team for the next game EXCEPT for McCartan, McGuire and Buxton who must be dropped.
McCartan has had his chance and not come up with the goals in recent weeks likewise McGuire is not a striker, the lad has had more than his fair share of chances and should benched for Carver or Bowerman.
Buxton was a liability, if he is not fit enough yet then he should be benched for Liddle.

Some good positives tonight, especially in the 2nd half.
We have the makings of a good team, just need a focal point up top and need to sort out the defensive lapses.
You're wrong about Buxton!!! Why have you not answered my question about your Super Johnny ?
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 22:45   #118

Just heard the managers after match interview.... Wow! How to win friends and influence players....NOT.

Slags the keeper off: 'his mistake cost us the game',
Has a go at windass for missing a chance,
Basically destroys Gray and suggests he has no chance of playing despite admitting he's probably our best hope for scoring goals,
And finally hangs Aldred out to dry!

I know things are never great when a team goes through a bad patch but surely that's when togetherness, team spirit and belief in each other is vital.
FrankMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 22:46   #119
Senior Member+

he did ok, he changed the tactics 2nd half and we where the better team.
He has also given McGuire more than his far share of chances as a striker and should drop him or play him as a winger.
The team is crying out for a target man striker.

99% of Bury's success in the first half came down Buxtons side.
Likewise in the 2nd half.
He was poor defensivly but its fair to say Naismith gives him little support.
Old 27-01-2015, 22:47   #120
Senior Member+

Dear DAV,
We seem to be in agreement on most counts of tonights game except about Buxton. Actually, I was disappointed that Liddle was left out a few matches ago after he had played so well since returning from injury. I thought that Buxton was good tonight going forward and whilst I accept that on occasions he can get caught out of position through being adventurous, at least he was getting stuck in and trying to create some forward movement and action! I accept your point though and see a role for him more likely to be in midfield. I believe that McCarten would score more goals if he had a 'true centre forward' up there with him!
Totally agree about Coneely being MOM tonight.
Come on you REDS
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..