Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 08:33   #196

Re: Yet another dog kills a child...

[quote=***Mr D***;361472]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church Boy View Post

ROFLMAO - Seriously.

Yadda,Yadda,Yadda.
Church Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-01-2007, 14:50   #197
Give, give, give member

Drugs and cash confiscated from the home where this poor child's uncle lived.

Scum.

He should be imprisoned.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...000/article.do

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 14:54   #198
Passed away 25-11-09

Dog licences - useless. Under the old system you had to have one but who ever checked up and what purpose did it serve?

You start with dog breeders. There are puppy farms all over the country, for a start, many unregistered. There needs to be much tightening up of legislation there. Many responsible owners will breed once or twice from a good bitch. There are Kennel Club regulations but they're not enforced rigorously enough. Anyone who buys a pup from such sources must be vetted thoroughly.

There are also owners whose bitches get "caught" and the result is pups. You can't tell, at a glance, if a bitch has been spayed but you can see if a dog has been neutered. It should be compulsory for all male dogs, except registered, licenced stud dogs, to be neutered. Dog warden sees un-neutered dog - dog is "confiscated" until neutered at owner's expense. More dog wardens are needed. Any dog wandering in the streets must be impounded - for its own good as well as anyone else's. Dog wardens should have the right to enquire at any house where a dog is known to be living and check up on the dog and its living conditions, with due process of law if anything is amiss.

Would it work? It would be better than the lack of regulation and the blind panic about "dangerous breeds" that exists now. What would it cost? What cost is a human life?
Old 06-01-2007, 15:03   #199
Give, give, give member

I'm in agreement with you re: the old dog licences. I think they were 37p when they were abolished nearly twenty years ago.

They could be introduced at a cost, but as you say compared with a child's life it would be worth it.

There does need to be tighter controls on dog ownership, partly to protect the animals from a miserable life, if they continue to be the status dog of choice amongst drug dealers and rap stars, and partly to stop any more children from being killed.

Old 06-01-2007, 15:06   #200
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
It should be compulsory for all male dogs, except registered, licenced stud dogs, to be neutered. Dog warden sees un-neutered dog - dog is "confiscated" until neutered at owner's expense.
I'm not sure that's a good idea. If the number of parent dogs is severely limited you're going to get a lot of "in breeding" which can lead to temperament problems which could result in more incidents of aggression against people and more injuries and deaths. Also they reckon that mongrel mutts can be the best natured dogs.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 15:11   #201
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I'm not sure that's a good idea. If the number of parent dogs is severely limited you're going to get a lot of "in breeding" which can lead to temperament problems which could result in more incidents of aggression against people and more injuries and deaths. Also they reckon that mongrel mutts can be the best natured dogs.
True 'in breeding' would also cause problems to the dogs health.

I have yet to see any information to say mongrel mutts are the best natured as 'mongrel' could mean a mix of anything.
Old 06-01-2007, 15:16   #202
Resident Waffler

I think the theory is just because they are totally opposite to inbred.

Old 06-01-2007, 15:19   #203
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
True 'in breeding' would also cause problems to the dogs health.

I have yet to see any information to say mongrel mutts are the best natured as 'mongrel' could mean a mix of anything.

I think the 'bunny' on your signature has been interbred too.

It looks like it was crossed with an owl.

Old 06-01-2007, 15:23   #204
Passed away 25-11-09

There's no reason why a good natured, attractive mongrel shouldn't be registered as a stud dog. I'm not talking elitist, just precautionary, I've had several wonderful mongrels including my last, much-loved one. But would you have the present situation where any un-neutered dog can roam around and impregnate any bitch in season that it finds? It leads to unwanted puppies and uncared-for dogs and it leaves the field open to breeding the "wrong sort".
Old 06-01-2007, 15:26   #205
Resident Waffler

Now we're getting to the actual problem which is the "roaming around and impregnating any bitch in season" - instead of compulsory neutering of all dogs we should perhaps have compulsory neutering of any dog found wandering loose and fines for people who permit their dogs to do so. So what we need are more (effective) dog wardens. That goes for wandering dogs of the male or female variety.

Old 06-01-2007, 15:31   #206
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Now we're getting to the actual problem which is the "roaming around and impregnating any bitch in season" - instead of compulsory neutering of all dogs we should perhaps have compulsory neutering of any dog found wandering loose and fines for people who permit their dogs to do so. So what we need are more (effective) dog wardens.

...and I think licenced dogs.

I read that it averages up to £23,000 to care and feed a dog properly over it's lifetime.

A licence costing say £500 would help may for more infrastructure to police the people who are abusing the system, and help protect the animals themselves.

Old 06-01-2007, 15:33   #207
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I think the 'bunny' on your signature has been interbred too.

It looks like it was crossed with an owl.
He's an Evil Bunny. Pure bread for Evil.

Quote:
Now we're getting to the actual problem which is the "roaming around and impregnating any bitch in season" - instead of compulsory neutering of all dogs we should perhaps have compulsory neutering of any dog found wandering loose and fines for people who permit their dogs to do so. So what we need are more (effective) dog wardens. That goes for wandering dogs of the male or female variety.
It isnt that easy to breed dogs, the bitch would have to be ready to accept 'tye' with the male. odds wise it would be low.

I feel the laws should be tighter than the for anyone who dog is left to wander the street. these dogs are a danger to society, bot just they could bite someone, they could also cause a road accident.

If someone left there dog to 'Roam' they shouldnt have a dog.
Old 06-01-2007, 15:48   #208
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post

It isnt that easy to breed dogs, the bitch would have to be ready to accept 'tye' with the male. odds wise it would be low.
Well there are plenty that don't miind practicing.

Old 06-01-2007, 15:54   #209
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well there are plenty that don't mind practicing.
Just like humans.
Old 06-01-2007, 16:00   #210
Passed away 25-11-09

I'm with you all on the wandering, it's the un-neutered breeds, half-breeds etc. that are unregistered - that's what worries me.

Hypothesis. - I have a very aggressive, potentially savage dog. I keep the dog off the streets and he's under my control for legal purposes but I make sure he isn't "soft". He's not neutered but that's OK, it's quite legal. My mate has a similar bitch and we decide to breed from this pair. We get 8 puppies and we sell them to like-minded people. Everyone brings up the pups like we've brought up the parents - off the streets but brought up "hard". Hey! We've got a dog-fighting ring.

Isn't this the scenario we've already got?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..