Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 00:34   #1
Senior Member+

Yet another dog kills a child...

come on folks how long till the dangerous dogs ownership is really taken by the scruff of the neck and sorted out

A five-year-old girl has been killed and her grandmother seriously injured by a pit bull terrier at their family home on Merseyside. Ellie Lawrenson was found bleeding to death in the living room of the house in St Helens shortly before 0430 GMT.
Her grandmother, Jackie Simpson, 46, who is recovering in hospital, managed to lock the dog outside.
The owner, believed to be Ellie's uncle, had been warned in June about the dog's behaviour.
The pit bull terrier was destroyed by police immediately after the attack at the property in Knowles House Avenue, Eccleston.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/6222319.stm

Old 02-01-2007, 08:10   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Yet another dog kills a child...

This is the bit that sould be in letters nine feet high:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

The owner, believed to be Ellie's uncle, had been warned in June about the dog's behaviour.

Any dog which needs a warning about it should NEVER be allowed near a child.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:52   #3
Senior Member+

Very sad indeed.

No dog really should be left with a child un supervised.

I see they are strainght on the is a 'Pit Bull Terrior' band wagon when in reallity it is probably a cross of some description. but 'Pit Bull' gets more attention.
***Mr D*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:57   #4
Resident Waffler

From the newspaper reports it isn't specific that the child had been left alone with the dog unattended. She may even have gone to bed according to one report and just been in the same house. The dog was possibly spooked by fireworks.

How awful her parents must be feeling right now. They'd gone to pick her up to take her home but she'd asked to stay with her Gran.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 02-01-2007 at 09:00.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:10   #5
Give, give, give member

Terribly sad.

Dogs that have been bred primarily to fight and be aggressive should require a licence to keep one. Now everyone can, and it sad when these cases seem to be increasing.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:29   #6
Resting in peace

Why anyone would want to keep a dog primarily bred for fighting each other, as a pet, is beyond my comprehension, my late father told me that large/fierce dogs were an extension of the owners personality. To keep one in a house with young children is asking for trouble.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:35   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Terribly sad.

Dogs that have been bred primarily to fight and be aggressive should require a licence to keep one. Now everyone can, and it sad when these cases seem to be increasing.
IMO that is totally wrong. How would you say what dogs are aggresive.

Bred primarily to fight are we talking fighting other dogs here. If so in reallity these dogs would less likely bite a human.

Dogs are like humans ALL are individual and should be treated and respected that way, not just stigmatize certain breeds.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:43   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
IMO that is totally wrong. How would you say what dogs are aggresive.

Bred primarily to fight are we talking fighting other dogs here. If so in reallity these dogs would less likely bite a human.

Dogs are like humans ALL are individual and should be treated and respected that way, not just stigmatize certain breeds.
Man has been breeding dogs for whatever reasons for centuries, be it to look aesthetically pleasing, or to be agressive and fight.

All the terrible recent cases involve dogs that have been bred to be agressive.

You need as licence to own a gun, yet any d*ckhead can own one of these dogs.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:50   #9
Give, give, give member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ighting_breeds

By the way I'm not blaming the dogs, just the people who keep dogs that have been bred to be agressive as pets.

'Rocky' has never been agressive before, he loved children.' Doesn't really wash when a child is dead or maimed for life.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:02   #10
Resident Waffler

Look at this though. One of the breeds of dog in the list of those fighting breeds

Old 02-01-2007, 10:30   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Man has been breeding dogs for whatever reasons for centuries, be it to look aesthetically pleasing, or to be agressive and fight.

All the terrible recent cases involve dogs that have been bred to be agressive.

You need as licence to own a gun, yet any d*ckhead can own one of these dogs.
Maybe most of the dog bite attacks dont get reported when its a alsation or collie as it doesnt make 'A Press Story'

I agree that anyone can buy a dog Inc the Di**heads happen thats what needs more control. but a licence?
I would say Compulsary Insurance Minimum Third party. and Compulsary Identi Chiping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Look at this though. One of the breeds of dog in the list of those fighting breeds
The lovably Boxer.

Notice Staffs are also on there and English Bull terriors.

Now the onlything wrong with this is the term 'bread for fighting' I presume that people and the list term a fighting dog as one that will fight another dog.

IMO anyone who did this as a hobby (I feel this is totally wrong) that dog would be less likely to bite a human, why you might ask, well a dog bred to fight, trained to fight will obviosly do so, but whould the owner of the dogs want to be bitten, want the spectators to be bitten, want a out of control dog in a group of people NO NO NO, the dog that is 'trained for fighting' is trained not to go for humans, so IMO a dog trained to fight other dogs would be a lesser risk to humans.

However a dog that is brought up to be lets say uncontrolled, IE no Disaplin, NO control then yes thats a very dangerous dog.

A dangerous dog, DOG this means ALL DOGS.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:38   #12
Senior Member+

Even dogs considered to be "family-friendly", such as Golden Retrievers, are capable of biting a child. A parent would rarely leave a child alone with an unknown pitbull, but people forget that even a cute dog is still a dog. Just because a dog typically has a good temperament does not mean that it is safe to leave a child alone with it. Since children are most easily harmed by dogs, there are a few steps that can be taken to ensure no harm comes to a child, or to the dog by extension:
  • Teach your child never to approach a dog that they don't know.
  • Always ask the owner if you can pet their dog. Owners know the temperament of their dogs.
  • Approach dogs from the front. They could be startled if approached from behind and at the least may knock you over.
  • Refrain from making sudden jerky movements. This could make the dog think you are playing or being aggressive.
  • Never let a child play unsupervised with an adult dog or puppy, yours or a neighbor's. An accident only takes few seconds.
  • Intervene and stop play if it looks too rambunctious or boisterous. Children aren't as durable as puppies. Puppies regularly bite as a part of regular play with other puppies.
  • Always watch children to see what they are doing with the dog, and if what they are doing is dangerous or not.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:58   #13
Resting in peace

Quote:
***Mr D *** Maybe most of the dog bite attacks dont get reported when its a alsation or collie as it doesnt make 'A Press Story'
On a lighter note, and yes I respect your right to disagree with some of us, it reminds me of a newshounds saying "dog bites man is not news" but "man bites dog is"
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:06   #14
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

if the dog had a vicious reputation, what was it doing in the house in the first place????

now on the news they are saying that Determining the breed of dog is "a priority", why? any dog can turn nasty, to me its not the breed but how that dog is brought up!
Old 02-01-2007, 12:08   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
any dog can turn nasty, to me its not the breed but how that dog is brought up!

Exactly. I was around dogs as a kid and had no problem with them. If you abuse a dog or train it to perform certain acts that rely on its instincts then this kind of sad incident will occur.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..