Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2007, 15:07   #91
Give, give, give member

Re: Yet another dog kills a child...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
It will be unbalanced. No doubt on that.

Why's that?

You seem to defend people's concerns re: these dogs quite well, but you haven't changed my mind about them at all.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-01-2007, 15:12   #92

Quote:
It will be unbalanced. No doubt on that.
And you are the main one I wanted to suck in.Say no more.Church Boy
Church Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 15:19   #93
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
we dont get too many wolf's round here fox's maybe but i have never seen a wolf on blackburn road
I saw a few scary looking dogs walking up Blackburn road on Saturday evening
Old 03-01-2007, 15:20   #94
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Why's that?

You seem to defend people's concerns re: these dogs quite well, but you haven't changed my mind about them at all.
Due to all the Bad Media attention.

Education is the way, not a mass Kull or Ban of a certain Breed or to bring in something silly like BSL (Breed Specific Leglislation).

Maybe Compulsary (SP) Age of 18 to own a dog, Compusary Id Chipping & Diesese Control + Compulsary Insurance would make owning a dog a bit more of a responsability and would only be undertaken by people who actually wanted dogs for the companion rather than an accessory. due to the high cost and hassle involved.
***Mr D*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 15:57   #95
God Member

Quote:
Maybe Compulsary (SP) Age of 18 to own a dog,
You'll only get kn*b head parents bailing the w**kers like that Kiel Simpson out!

The Grandmother was hurt too, why did she allow the dog in her home if she knew it had violent tendencies. Why did her parents allow the child to stay in a house where there was a potentially dangerous dog?
Old 03-01-2007, 15:57   #96
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Due to all the Bad Media attention.

Education is the way, not a mass Kull or Ban of a certain Breed or to bring in something silly like BSL (Breed Specific Leglislation).

Maybe Compulsary (SP) Age of 18 to own a dog, Compusary Id Chipping & Diesese Control + Compulsary Insurance would make owning a dog a bit more of a responsability and would only be undertaken by people who actually wanted dogs for the companion rather than an accessory. due to the high cost and hassle involved.
The legislation you suggest wouldn't have prevented this poor child's uncle (or w*nker, as I prefer to call him) from owning one of these dogs.

Old 03-01-2007, 15:59   #97
Resident Waffler

Was the uncle at home when the death occurred? Was he aware of her death when he was laughing? Do we have more than heresay evidence that he was laughing?

If the answer to all 3 is yes, then he was surly a hypocrite putting flowers at the scene.

However, nerves, shock, fear and grief affect people strangely too - not to mention drugs.

Church Boy, you cannot instruct people regarding what they may or may not discuss on these forums. If you feel strongly about it then complain to the moderators. It's up to them what is or is not permitted here.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 15:31   #98

Church Boy, you cannot instruct people regarding what they may or may not discuss on these forums. If you feel strongly about it then complain to the moderators. It's up to them what is or is not permitted here.[/quote]
That's fair enough,But I think these sort of emotional discussion's can become a bit to much tit for tat ,
& in the end, on your computer,all you are doing is peeing each other off.
All I meant to suggest, was to discuss the topic without being judge,jury & executioner,which most probably you are saying that I am being. Church Boy
Church Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 17:22   #99
Resident Waffler

I thought this was quite a well balanced discussion/debate really, with people putting forward their different viewpoints. Back and forth reasoning is what debate is all about. Sometimes we learn something of the opposing point of view that we were unaware of or hadn't thought of which may or may not then influence our own opinions.

I learned something about the appearance of certain dogs for instance and how people mistake one breed for another. Mind you, some of them are so obviously not bull terriers but then again to other people they might look like it.

Old 04-01-2007, 19:08   #100
Passed away 25-11-09

Police have, apparently, "rounded up" 6 pitbull-type dogs in Merseyside today. Footage on TV showed friendly, sociable dogs being bundled into a police van.

These are inbred, savage killers aren't they? Why weren't they ripping each other to pieces in the van? Why weren't they snarling at and biting the police who put them in there? You cannot condemn a dog out of hand because of its ancestry. It may have been bred to have a potentially more aggressive nature but Nurture has to play a part too.

My elder daughter has a dog which is a Stafford Cross. He looks vaguely similar to a pitbull. He was neutered at a year old and is quiet, amiable and obedient. Travis is used to children, nephews and neices are always around my daughter's home as are neighbours' children, and he's used to lots of adults around. He's also used to cats as my daughter has 3 of them. He knows his place - he's at the bottom of the pack. He's a dog, he's got a dog's nature, he's trained and, most importantly, he's controlled.

Merseyside Police would no doubt class him as looking like a dangerous dog with his broad head and chest and his strong jaws. In the wrong hands, perhaps, he could have become a dangerous dog. In reality he's a loveable family member. Knee-jerk reactions to breeds of dog will not solve this problem. We need to sort out the human owners first.
Old 04-01-2007, 19:13   #101
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

body language is crucial when confronted by an aggressive dog.
heres what to do if you are confronted:
:: Do not make eye contact. Turn you head away slightly from the dog.
:: Lick lips and yawn.
:: Do not run or scream - "it will stimulate the dog's predatory instinct".
:: Make yourself as small as possible.
Old 04-01-2007, 19:17   #102
Resident Waffler

I feel sorry for any dog owners whose innocent pets have been confiscated because they look similar to one which was a killer. I don't think that solves the problem. They should be looking at owners of aggressive dogs of all types rather than all dogs of a similar breed.

Old 04-01-2007, 19:25   #103
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
They should be looking at owners of aggressive dogs of all types rather than all dogs of a similar breed.
I agree with that!
Old 04-01-2007, 19:52   #104
Passed away 25-11-09

I've been bitten twice in my lifetime. Once was a bullmastiff, nearly as tall as me, which clamped my upper arm in its jaws and caused tremendous swelling before it let go - and walked away as if nothing had happened. The other time, I had several sizeable punctures in my left ankle by a neurotic pekingese that didn't like the look of my dog (which was on a lead at the time). Which one was the more aggressive?
Old 04-01-2007, 21:46   #105
Give, give, give member

I think it's the owners of Pit Bulls who should be rounded up, and taken away in vans.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..