Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-03-2007, 17:11   #211
Beacon of light

Re: Are You Safe In His Taxi

A kick to the nuts usually disables 'em long enough to run away.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-03-2007, 19:01   #212
I am Banned

Dear All,
I note with astonishment the decision of the Private Hire and Hackney Carriage Licensing Judicial Committee to reinstate the licence of the ghastly Mr Altaf, a man convicted November last of sexually touching a passenger. This aspect of the issue has been widely reported in the press and thus there exists no need to elucidate further here.
An issue that does merit further discussion however, is the rationale behind the clearly flawed decision. Whilst every case is dealt on it’s merits, there are strict guidelines that need to be enforced to ensure that members of the public are afforded appropriate protection from those that represent a risk to them. The Judicial Committee is comprised of individuals that have been elected to serve the needs of the residents of Hyndburn whom they represent. There has to be a sense of accountability, and the interests of the members of the public ought to be at the forefront of their minds when adjudicating on such matters.
It is disturbing to note that had it not been for a ‘mole’ or some such, coupled with the efforts of Councillor Pritchard, then this matter would not have permeated into the public domain. The extent and severity of public reaction has led to the matter being reviewed, bit it still does not remotely alter the fact that those put in a position of responsibility to adjudicate on such important matters need to account for the basis of their decision. Whilst the decision of the Council to review systems and regulations to prevent such an egregious error going forward has to be welcomed, it does nothing to address whether or not systematic guidelines were followed in the first place. Surely, mitigating factors submitted by the applicant would not have been sufficient to offset his ghastly crime. If mitigation was sufficiently robust, then surely the decision would not have subsequently been altered. This reaffirms the view that it is not so much the alteration of regulations that ought to be the main thrust going forward, more the fact that such regulations need to be implemented in a sacrosanct manner .
This raises the issue of how many previous such cases may have been granted disproportionate leniency. Councillor Britcliffe proposes the setting up of a Cabinet Action Group or some such. Would such a group review previous cases dealt by the same adjudicating members to ensure that we do not have other similarly convicted drivers posing a potential and current threat to members of the public?
It is noteworthy that at the meeting on the 19th of February, the committee dealt with several other cases in addition to that of Mr Altaf. More importantly, they considered it appropriate to revoke the licence of at least one applicant. In order to establish a basis for comparative evaluation, I think it imperative that the details of the application revoked be disclosed to those responsible for investigation. Only by so doing, can the possibility of preferential bias be excluded.
For the benefit of readers , I attach below a link of the meeting of the 19th of February, including details of Committee members:
http://ww2.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/your_council/corporate_services/Member_Services/docs/doc1724_20070309_jud_report.pdf
Separately, I am in the process of referring to the Standards Board, matters pertaining to the conduct of Councillor A. Dad, Chair of the Judicial Committee. It is well known that Mr Dad earns of significant income from working, almost invariably every weekend, as a cameraman /photographer at Asian weddings. I think it needs to be established, what proportion , if any, of this income is actually disclosed.
Moreover, in relation to the decision to restore Mr Altaf’s licence it is ironic to note that Mr Dad is a member of, inter alia, the Community Safety and Wellbeing Committee. You simply could not make it up.

Last edited by gondola; 22-03-2007 at 19:04.
gondola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2007, 19:12   #213
Resting in Peace

Well done Claytonender for getting your letter published and to Gayle too and all the others who wrote to them .. certainly stirred things up. Pat on the back for Accy Observer who brought this matter to our attention; feel sure that this thread will have had some impact too.

Has to be a zero tolerance on this problem, otherwise, will prompt other assaults in the future. Don't think I would get away with grabbing anyone's ***** at work would be acceptable and would expect my P45 to be on my desk very quickly, as in most businesses, so no different with this issue.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2007, 19:13   #214
Beacon of light

Very well put Gondola.
Old 22-03-2007, 19:15   #215
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondola View Post
It is well known that Mr Dad earns of significant income from working, almost invariably every weekend, as a cameraman /photographer at Asian weddings. I think it needs to be established, what proportion , if any, of this income is actually disclosed.

Whilst a matter for the tax people I think that has no relevance to the re-instatement of the licence.
Old 22-03-2007, 19:22   #216
Resident Waffler

I'm puzzled about what Mr. Dad's photography sideline has got to do with the pervs driving taxis in our borough.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2007, 19:26   #217
I am Banned

LancsDave,

Your comment is noted. I agree that this issue in itself is not germaine to the case of Mr Altaf, I merely stated it to serve to remind readers of the affairs of those adjudicating.

More important is the issue of Mr Dad being a member of the Community Safety Committee. Indubitably, a man who considers it appropriate that a sex offender has his licence reinstated is not fit to determine strategy on community safety.
Old 22-03-2007, 19:26   #218
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I'm puzzled about what Mr. Dad's photography sideline has got to do with the pervs driving taxis in our borough.
Yeh, did spring to my mind too Willow .. think Gondola better be careful here .. accusing him of tax fraud methinks ?
Old 22-03-2007, 19:30   #219
Beacon of light

Katex, I don't think there is anything in Gondola's post that accuses him(Allah Dad) of anything. Maybe Gondola was alluding to the close links Councillor Dad has with the muslim community and therefore his actions may have been influenced by those close links. A bit of 'you scratch my back, and i'll scratch yours' sort of thing.
Old 22-03-2007, 19:32   #220
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

what puzzles me more willow is apologies for P.B.s abscense at the meeting, as leader and surely aware of the gravity of this.
Old 22-03-2007, 19:33   #221
Beacon of light

Well, if he wasn't......you can bet your neck that he is now!
Old 22-03-2007, 19:36   #222
I am Banned

I have not made any inferences as such. I have stated that the decision of the Commitee was palpably absurd, and this view has been endorsed by most residents in Hyndburn. I do assert, however, that Mr Dad, in my considered view, is not fit to serve on the Community Safety Committee if he considers it right that a man convicted of sexual assault or some such ought to have his licence reinstated.

So far as regards Mr Dad's photography work, that he undertakes it is indubitable. In relation to income derived from it, I have not made tangible assertions and thus have not accused him of anything. If, or when i do, I would first ensure that i had appropraite evidence to substantiate the same.
Old 22-03-2007, 19:39   #223
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondola View Post
[SIZE=2] It is well known that Mr Dad earns of significant income from working, almost invariably every weekend, as a cameraman /photographer at Asian weddings. I think it needs to be established, what proportion , if any, of this income is actually disclosed.
Beg to differ with you for once Margaret.
Old 22-03-2007, 19:41   #224
Senior Member+

I would rather put clearly my Labour Party hat on on this next mute point then it is clear where I am coming from.

Clr Allah Dad is chair of Taxi Licensing. He is also chair of the Taxi Liaison Committee.

The Taxi Liaison Committee was set up by Clr Britcliffe to listen to the concerns of Taxi driver representaives. Clr Britcliffe refused to put any Labour Councillors on but did include two Conservative Councillors. Allah Dad and Clr Brian Roberts, Deputy Leader and also a member of the Taxi Licensing Committee. The Police were also invited as well as Taxi Drivers and our Licensing Officer. Minutes are not circulated to Labour Councillors.

Surely there has to be a conflict of interest with Clr Dad and Clr Roberts both sitting on the Taxi Licensing Committee as well. And why no Labour Councillors.

I also notice the Council hardly told the full truth in the Observer today. Why did they not admit that they did not suspend the second drivers license when he was in custody. What we got again was, there was a loophole in the law so we did nothing.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2007, 19:41   #225
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Anonimity is a very wise move Gondola, even snakes can read here as guests.

« the sun today | tea »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..