Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2007, 19:44   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: electric wheelchairs

i think an open season should be created say between may @ september, when you could go hunting them with 12 bore shotguns.
Old 05-06-2007, 20:07   #17
God Member

My Dad has 2 electric scooters ( I keep telling him about spending my inheritance but he takes no notice )

He uses the smaller one for mowing people down in supermarkets and saves the bigger one for when he is out in town
Old 05-06-2007, 20:08   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i think an open season should be created say between may @ september, when you could go hunting them with 12 bore shotguns.
Thats very naughty ......

Have you noticed a lot of the users arnt actually disabled but just elderly. (prob those whose licences have been taken off them for poor eyesight).
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 20:09   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
My Dad has 2 electric scooters ( I keep telling him about spending my inheritance but he takes no notice )

He uses the smaller one for mowing people down in supermarkets and saves the bigger one for when he is out in town

lol
What colour is his, then i know to dodge him.
Old 05-06-2007, 20:10   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmi5bellies View Post
lol
What colour is his, then i know to dodge him.
I think they are both blue with blood red tints on the front
Old 05-06-2007, 20:14   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I think they are both blue with blood red tints on the front
ROFLMAO ....

My friend had a big red one , it had a picture of a turtle on it to represent 4mph and a picture of a hare to switch upto 8mph. We got about 25mph out of it one day when he said sit on my knee and gave me a lift down Hawthorn Avenue.
Old 05-06-2007, 20:36   #22
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
ROFLMAO ....

My friend had a big red one , it had a picture of a turtle on it to represent 4mph and a picture of a hare to switch upto 8mph. We got about 25mph out of it one day when he said sit on my knee and gave me a lift down Hawthorn Avenue.
Keep it clean, this is a family site
Old 05-06-2007, 20:51   #23
Resident Waffler

Quote:

Have you noticed a lot of the users arnt actually disabled but just elderly. (prob those whose licences have been taken off them for poor eyesight).

It depends on how you define disabled. Someone may be able to walk short distances but become unsteady on their feet or tire easily if they tried to go further. I see no reason why they shouldn't use something to help them get around.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 20:52   #24
God Member

A buddy of mine lost the use of his legs in a motorcycle accident ... he fixed up an old Harley panhead and put a trike conversion kit on it. This is a serious motorized wheelchair. He rides like hell, but usually on the highway. He has loud pipes on it tho' ... people can hear him coming from miles away.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 21:58   #25
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Thats very naughty ......

Losing one's license for poor eyesight IS a disability.

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 22:34   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Thats very naughty ...
i know.....
Old 06-06-2007, 05:34   #27
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

i was confronted by one of these looneys once!
told me i was on the wrong side, i should be on the left while walking.... i mean ...??LOL... WTF, i was on the pavement....silly owd ******!!
talk about pavement rage!!
Old 06-06-2007, 14:12   #28
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: electric wheelchairs

After reading this thread I despair. Such selfishness! You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves and thank whatever god you believe in that it is not you in such a vehicle.

I accept that there will be some cantankerous old gits but you get far more cantankerous drivers on the road and even cantankerous pedestrians who seem to think that they own the pavement. Pram pushers are a prime example.

Incidentally it is perfectly legal for an Electric Wheelchair user to travel on the road and it is up to other road users to watch where they are going. The same applies to pedestrians. We are all supposed to look where we are going and take steps to avoid obstacles.

However there should be some sort of scheme that ensures that a new Electric Wheelchair user is given basic tuition, much like a new motor cycle rider is. Most vendors will give basic instructions but only on how to operate the vehicle and not how to actually use it.

As for all those complaining about them. It could be you in years to come and if it is your view will change.
Old 06-06-2007, 14:21   #29
Resting in Peace

Could not agree with you more Jam butty:

also we could mention the total idiots that block the drop curbs by parking on them... thus the wheel chair user needs to then go onto the road:

the pavements are in a bad state of repair in a lot of areas....

Thank God I have my legs and I can walk...

People in chairs have enough to cope with... not to mention the people that care for them:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 14:28   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
also we could mention the total idiots that block the drop curbs by parking on them...
I have been out with my Dad on 2 occasions in Burnley Town Centre where the occupant of said car has actually been sat in it. Talk about cringe because he let them have it with both barrels, it's probably the thing that drives him up the wall most about his disability Strange that on both occasions too neither driver understood English yet had managed to pass a driving test

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..