Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2008, 21:31   #46
Senior Member+

Re: mark speight died

I just feel sad that the poor bloke so obviously couldn't cope with his loss even with family and friends around him. He must have spent the last weeks thinking "what if ?".
He had decided what to do and there was no stopping him.
Very sad.
Old 14-04-2008, 21:34   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Even teachers of children shouldn't be dismissed in my opinion for having a drugs problem as long as it isn't hindering their teaching abilities.
I'll have to disagree with you on that one, Blazey.

Drugs are mind altering substances, not to mention illegal, assuming you're talking about cocaine. It would be inappropriate, irresponsible and dangerous for a teacher to remain in their job if they had a drug problem.
Old 14-04-2008, 21:36   #48
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I'll have to disagree with you on that one, Blazey.

Drugs are mind altering substances, not to mention illegal, assuming you're talking about cocaine. It would be inappropriate, irresponsible and dangerous for a teacher to remain in their job if they had a drug problem.
might make it more bearable!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 21:38   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
might make it more bearable!
If it's that bad perhaps a career change is called for.
Old 14-04-2008, 21:43   #50
Senior Member+

i like it but its not for everyone, unfortunately too many teachers go from school to college, college to uni and dont have any hands on experience... they qualify and go to work at a school and hate it!!!!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 14-04-2008, 22:06   #51

R.I.P mark
Old 15-04-2008, 10:09   #52
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
No , but I wouldn't glorify them either , there wouldn't be half of the problems there are today if organisations like the BBC had shown some responsibility in their news reporting about drugs , instead of showing the likes of the Rolling Stones laughing and cavorting outside of the courts in the 60s during their drug trials and therefore passing on a subliminal message that drugs are ok .
Think it was Margaret P who mentioned earlier that because it comes through the TV screen its less harmful , sorry, one only has to remember how films of the Nuremberg rallies affected a whole population .
While I will agree that the whole of the media world seem to revel in making stories out of so-called celebs and their drug habits....I think the mention of the Nuremberg Rallies falls into a different category altogether...were these not pure propaganda.

Mark Speight did not appear on TV and promote drug taking.....he promoted art and creativity, and this he did well.
He didn't ask for his private life to be made public......the media decided to take this decision for him....and once the decision was taken he resigned from his post as a childrens TV presenter.
This Man was a product of the 60s......aren't we in some way responsible for the attitudes that have grown up from those times....leading people to believe that they could have everything......and anything that gave pleasure or fun was OK???
Perhaps you have never got drunk and regretted it.....I know that I have.
Alcohol is a legally sanctioned drug, another mind altering substance...that does just as much damage to children and families......though this comment in no way suggests that I am in favour of recreational drug use....I'm not. I am just trying to provides some sensible perspective.
We are all at liberty to choose our 'demons'......and although Mark Speight was in the public eye...we didn't own him.

I also stand by my comment that there are families who are grieving from the results of this sad loss of life....and we should respect those who are dead, they cannot speak for themselves.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 14:52   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
While I will agree that the whole of the media world seem to revel in making stories out of so-called celebs and their drug habits....I think the mention of the Nuremberg Rallies falls into a different category altogether...were these not pure propaganda.

Mark Speight did not appear on TV and promote drug taking.....he promoted art and creativity, and this he did well.
He didn't ask for his private life to be made public......the media decided to take this decision for him....and once the decision was taken he resigned from his post as a childrens TV presenter.
This Man was a product of the 60s......aren't we in some way responsible for the attitudes that have grown up from those times....leading people to believe that they could have everything......and anything that gave pleasure or fun was OK???
Perhaps you have never got drunk and regretted it.....I know that I have.
Alcohol is a legally sanctioned drug, another mind altering substance...that does just as much damage to children and families......though this comment in no way suggests that I am in favour of recreational drug use....I'm not. I am just trying to provides some sensible perspective.
We are all at liberty to choose our 'demons'......and although Mark Speight was in the public eye...we didn't own him.

I also stand by my comment that there are families who are grieving from the results of this sad loss of life....and we should respect those who are dead, they cannot speak for themselves.
See this is the reason I suggest a teacher is fine as long as their private life isn't affecting their teaching abilities. I have been taught by people with problems with alcohol, and people who have admittedly taken drugs, but they have still provided me with the same, if not better, education than any other teacher.

Some of my favourite teachers have had problems, more with drink than drugs, but they're still amazing teachers. As a 'celebrity', you have the added burden of it all your personal life being made public, and they obviously don't ask for it, so I think you are spot on Margaret.

This story is sad, and it made me want to cry hearing it on the news. It's deeply saddening that anyone could be nasty enough to just call him a junkie when he was such an inspiring man. If the media hadn't reported he was on drugs, you would have never known from his TV career.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 20:29   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Would you suggest parents stop their children listening to musicans who have ever taken illegal drugs?

From the Beatles, and before that, if you include jazz and blues musicans, right to the present day, there wouldn't be very much to listen to.

Oh, and never let your children watch the Wizard of Oz, because that nice little Dorothy later became addicted to both prescpition and non-prescription drugs.

havent read through all the replies so...

I never once said parents shouldnt let their kids do whatever in regards watching/listening to musicians and film stars...
what I am saying is that I have no sympathy to anyone who takes drugs and dies from them - and by taking drugs and calling someone a junkie I am talking about people who take cocaine/heroin (or drug thats illegal)
- just like the guy who died - and his girlfriend - both drugs are illegal - to supply, take and be in possesion of - you know the risks when taking such things - and whether they were just 'dabbling' or recreational users doesnt matter - they were 'coke heads/smack heads/junkies - call it what you want. doesnt matter how good the guy was on telly etc - he was a user of illegal drugs - whether he died due to the guilt of injecting his girlfriend of drugs thus causing her death we will never know but one things for sure - his/their dealer will be slightly out of pocket... and that suits me just fine..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 20:48   #55
Beacon of light

Glasgow guy, I respect your opinions....but how would you feel if people were judging your dead son...and judging him by what the media tell us he did??
None of us here know this man. We are only permitted to know him through what the media wish to tell us...and if the media had not told you these things then you would still be in no position to judge the man.
I feel for his family, and his girlfriends family. He died in torment, and that can be no easy death...so however you feel, he did pay the ultimate price for his lifestyle and his perceived pleasures.

You never know how your own children are going to grow up.....and if they go wrong, then you can only be there to help them get their life back on track.
Is there not something in a book that suggests that we judge not, lest we ourselves be judged?
Old 15-04-2008, 21:04   #56
Senior Member+

Quote:
Glasgow guy, I respect your opinions....but how would you feel if people were judging your dead son...and judging him by what the media tell us he did??
None of us here know this man. We are only permitted to know him through what the media wish to tell us...and if the media had not told you these things then you would still be in no position to judge the man.
I feel for his family, and his girlfriends family. He died in torment, and that can be no easy death...so however you feel, he did pay the ultimate price for his lifestyle and his perceived pleasures.

You never know how your own children are going to grow up.....and if they go wrong, then you can only be there to help them get their life back on track.
Is there not something in a book that suggests that we judge not, lest we ourselves be judged?
if it were my son I wouldnt be interested in what anyone says to be honest and in regards to what you say about no one knowing him - this is true so why are so many folk bothered about what I posted initially and why are so many folk upset at his death ? - does everyone get upset when they read the death notices in the local paper regarding people they didnt know ? - probably not.
and you are correct in saying that I dont know how my own kids may grow up - time will tell with that one - and the book you are talking about - is this the worlds best selling story book your talking about?... theres not much in that I believe if I am honest.
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 21:10   #57
Beacon of light

I am not upset at his death per se, but I do find some of the comments a little insensitive....and if you were his parent or a family member I think you would do to.
It cannot be pleasant to think that people are speaking ill of your dead son.
and we all have demons in our past.....no-one is all good or all bad......we should not be judged on one thing in our lives, but the sum total of what we did.
The book I am talking about is a best seller....and while you may not believe in much of it, there are some things that have much truth in them.....but you are entitled to your opinions.
Old 15-04-2008, 21:15   #58

Quote:
but you are entitled to your opinions.
And there endeth the lesson
Old 16-04-2008, 11:57   #59
Senior Member+

the Times online says it was suicide

TV presenter Mark Speight left two suicide notes before hanging himself - Times Online

Old 16-04-2008, 13:39   #60
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

On the news it said that the police are looking at the bigger picture of his death, sent in by amy aged 11 from reading

sorry I'll get my coat and go quietly

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..