Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 16:33   #166
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Don't bug me teacher, eating me breakfast.

Has it not been said that the children should have been in school 10 minutes before the incident occurred? In that case the offenders were AWOL and, as such, open to whatever disciplinary measures, in actions, words or tone of voice, the teacher felt were called for. Furthermore, any responsible shopkeeper would have backed that teacher to the hilt.
Accrington Web
Old 05-07-2008, 16:34   #167

Fantastic, yet another thread that turns into another accy web falling out lol
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 16:36   #168
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
which often creep up in every thread
Well do they creep up in every thread or not? No' I've got it, they always do sometimes.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 16:40   #169
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
That's hardly an amount of people Shakermaker
Can't believe the COUPLE of people who disagree with his views for "disagreeing with jambutty"'s sake.
That do?

Quote:
... find your attitude a little condescending and thrown the thread off balance a little to suggest there was any animosity towards Jambutty's opinion (well, know there is sometimes .. ) .. stirring the s... in other words.
The posts I referred to from Tin Monkey and yerself created animosity towards another poster which was frankly uncalled for. I gave my opinion on the matter; that I find that pathetic. Now that's hardly poo-stirring.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 16:44   #170
Resting in Peace

Just to go a little off-thread myself. Just been up to our local Co-op. Was in the long queue. Lady came in to report a lad chucking oranges around.

The lad came in .. started to walk out with the orange. Naturally, one of the assistants asked if he had paid for it. Lad replies .. "found on the floor" Was sternly asked to put it back please !

This was a telling off in public. She then went on to say to him "Will tell yer Dad about this!". Know this lady, and she will !

Point is ? This shop is part of the community and felt the right to tell him off in front of other people. Know you will dissect this little anecdote, but that is how most local shopkeepers are.

Ok .. a thief, but kids who take unauthorised time off from school are thieving us as tax payers.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 16:47   #171
Give, give, give member

Would the same people also think a teacher was wrong for rebuking absent pupils if they were sat in a pub, having a pint and eating a pork pie, when they were supposed to be in school?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 16:50   #172
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Can't believe your opinion on this Jambutty.
I thought that being from the generation you are that respect for the teachers and school would be something you would advocate not slagging them off for trying to get pupils in school so they can get an education.
I would never have turned up late for school without good reason and if i did i would expect to be punished.
If you let kids get away with murder now there is no hope for the future.
Well you had better believe it because it is my opinion.

I had full respect for my teachers whilst I was at school and yes I did take the odd day off now and then. But I quickly learned that the only person to suffer for doing so was me. In any case it was no fun up the park on your own. I got behind in the lessons and had to work twice as hard to catch up. Also in those days if a copper spotted a pupil not in school he would march the kid to where s/he should be. That was usually the school or the kid’s home to confront the parent. But the cop had the authority to do so. Teachers outside of the school premises do not except as I have already explained. So that teacher was utterly and totally wrong.

When my own kids were at school the attitude of some of the teachers, particularly head teachers bordered on “god like” where the school was always right and the pupils and parents were always wrong irrespective of the circumstances. The head teachers treated the parents as if they were pupils at the school, or rather tried to. Then if you didn’t back down to the head s/he would take it out on the child.

When my grandchildren were at school the school attitude got even more “god like”. In one incident my grandson, not being the biggest in his class, got thrown down some stairs and all the teacher would do was to send the kids packing to their next class. It turned out that my grandson had suffered a hairline fracture right around his skull and the head and the witnessing teacher denied all knowledge of the incident and the gall to suggest that the damage was done at home.

During his final year at school the bully boys of his class grabbed his coat and threw it away. By chance it fell over the aerial of a teacher’s car but it wasn’t parked in the specified car park but on a sort of forecourt near the school entrance. With more than adequate parking, albeit at least 100 yards away from the main entrance, the car should not have been parked there anyway. Particularly as a plaque on the wall declared “Visitor’s Car Park” As my grandson retrieved his coat it bent the aerial.

You won’t believe the next bit but it is perfectly true. The owner of the car, a teacher, tried to blame my grandson for damaging the ELECTRIC AERIAL on his car and was seeking the cost of a new one from him or his mother (my daughter). As anyone who has ever had an electric car aerial knows, when you switch the radio or ignition off the aerial automatically retracts and rises again when the ignition or radio is switched on again. Thus either the aerial was not an electric one or it was broken anyway and this teacher was trying it on to get a brand new aerial for nothing by blaming my grandson.

Even when I intervened the head sided with the teacher even after I pointed out the anomaly of his allegation and both refused to allow me to inspect the alleged damage. My parting words were “Sue my grandson in the small claims court.”

No such case was brought, but until his final day my grandson became a target for that teacher.

I do not have any experience with the modern teachers other than by hearsay and unlike some correspondents on this forum, hearsay isn’t enough for me to form an opinion.
Old 05-07-2008, 16:51   #173
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
[I]

The posts I referred to from Tin Monkey and yerself created animosity towards another poster which was frankly uncalled for. I gave my opinion on the matter; that I find that pathetic. Now that's hardly poo-stirring.
I agree that Tin Monkey and Yerself were being a little mischievous, but you knew exactly what you were posting, otherwise, why did you not say this earlier ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 16:54   #174
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
I agree that Tin Monkey and Yerself were being a little mischievous, but you knew exactly what you were posting, otherwise, why did you not say this earlier ?
I totally agree with you katex. Shakermaker is creating animosity towards myself and Tin Monkey; that I find pathetic.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 16:57   #175
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Don't bug me teacher, eating me breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ain't this an example of shoddy journalism by the Observer, only getting one side of the story, maybe the school band the teacher from talking to the press but the story was very unbalanced, and seemingly instigated by the shop owner, hope it has the reverse effect she was hoping far
Pray tell me how do you know it was a one sided story?

Did you follow the journalist around to see if s/he contacted the school?

Did you ask the journalist if the school had anything to say about the incident?

Have you been round to the school to ask why their side of the incident wasn’t published?

No? I thought not!
Old 05-07-2008, 17:00   #176
Senior Member+

The guy's a first class knob and he proves it time and again. Pure and simple. (I wonder how long before this is deleted?)

Back on topic and I'm actually heartened by the majority of the posts on this thread. It's great too see so many people with their heads screwed on properly and looking to maintain standards in society. A number of people have actually gone up in my estimation following this thread.
Old 05-07-2008, 17:01   #177
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Pray tell me how do you know it was a one sided story?

Did you follow the journalist around to see if s/he contacted the school?

Did you ask the journalist if the school had anything to say about the incident?

Have you been round to the school to ask why their side of the incident wasn’t published?

No? I thought not!
Perhaps he's read what's been said by the Headmaster in the newspaper, and then decided to post his opinion.

Old 05-07-2008, 17:03   #178
God Member

For me, the priority of education is good teaching and producing 'well rounded young people', whatever that disgusting cleché means. Teachers should make clear the value of punctuality when in the classroom. Teaching time should not be wasted running around town after truants (especially when teaching standards are poor anyway), nor should they rely on members of the community to act as truant officers. If a pupil is late then give them a detention, if consistently late or absent then ring home and inform parents and ask what's going on. Running around on a man hunt is not good use of a teacher's time and more of a robbery of taxes in my mind, katex.
Old 05-07-2008, 17:05   #179
God Member

Quote:
Might be a little slow today, but that didn't make any sense to me.
Old 05-07-2008, 17:10   #180
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Teaching time should not be wasted running around town after truants
Fact.

We know the pupils should have been in school at that time.

We do not know if the teacher should have been in school.

Fact.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..