Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-05-2009, 20:18   #256
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: £10,000 offered to leak MP's expenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
A scenario - you're allowed to claim up to £20k expenses per annum, the accountant says you can claim for more or less anything as long as you have a receipt, you find a reciept for carpeting the hall or for shopping and put it in, the accountant accepts it, you've done nothing wrong.
I think you will find that some peoples wages are boosted by there expenses. That is the whole idea of it in some companies, mainly because they can claim VAT back and don't have to pay national insurance and pension contributions on the expenses.
Old 31-05-2009, 20:23   #257
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Still say, the majority of the public are not whiter than white, and have all cheated the system at some stage when given the chance, albeit in smaller ways.
Put me down as a not cheated my expenses please.
Old 31-05-2009, 21:18   #258
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

They should be made to live on a basic pension, or invalidity benefit for a few weeks and then they would find it easy to live off their salaries.
That is the flip side of the scale as me comparing Susan Boyle's forecasted income to an M.P's (agree it was irrelevant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Kate, the journalists are not paid out of the public purse and if they were caught they would at least be dealt with justly, by being deprived of their job....they would not be able to sit tight and wait for a golden goodbye and a fat pension.
Yes, they are living off the public purse ... gaining income that they are not paying Income Tax on e.g. blank taxi fare receipts is a common fiddle... double fraud, cheating the company, cheating the tax man ...... I've been offered these on many occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Put me down as a not cheated my expenses please.
Sure you are as pure as the driven snow Neil.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:36   #259
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Sure you are as pure as the driven snow Neil.
No I am not but I would not risk loosing my job for a few quid.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:30   #260
Resting in Peace

Re: £10,000 offered to leak MPs expenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I heard yesterday that the Telegraph are only a third of the way through drip feeding the story.
Ya Rindi, but I don't know about you but its now getting boring now, in fact I just don't bother listened to the stories on the news anymore
Old 01-06-2009, 08:34   #261
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
There are some poor Councillors though Margaret. I can speak with some authorty on that.
I've always said that councillors earn every penny they get Bernard, irrespective of party, its the hardest job in the world working for the general public, because your damned if you do and damned if you don't
Old 01-06-2009, 12:43   #262
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Within the rules is why it is not fraud. Those who are outside the rules or who have submitted false expenses should be held accountable. The rules may not be right, that is the main issue I have with all this.
It is fraud if an MP deliberately falsified claims for money that had not been spent. One of the MPs submitted a bank statement saying that one of the transactions was a mortgage payment to a building society, when in fact it was a payment into a savings account.

If the rules allowed for extravagant expenditure to be paid for from the public purse, it is not fraud as such, but it raises a question of whether the spending was essential for the carrying out of the MPs work, or whether it was a benefit in kind that the MP should have declared for income tax. They may have opened themselves up to a charge of tax evasion.

It is the arrogant way that each MP who has been found out squirms with his answers to the TV interviewer. Bill Cash was excruciating.

I
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 22:16   #263
God Member

just watched Paxman questioning William Hague about his friend..a tory MP that has been fiddling expenses and don't even live in this country...first time i've seen sweat drippin from his bald head..and he's only fourteen! great stuff
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 22:22   #264
God Member

here come the girls!

Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:53   #265
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
here come the girls!

A bit better than the big girls blouses that frequent Downing Street at the moment
Old 03-06-2009, 20:04   #266
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
A bit better than the big girls blouses that frequent Downing Street at the moment
Why the 3 Stooges can you not do better than that?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 17:33   #267
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Why the 3 Stooges can you not do better than that?
Looks like they're of on a shopping trip Spugs, bet they're looking for a new Plasma TV. and a couple of nice pictures for their London homes
Old 04-06-2009, 19:06   #268
God Member

Greg Pope has published an apology in the Observer for buying items for his second home on his expenses account. He says he knew as soon as he made the purchases he shouldn't have put them through his expenses account and started the process to repay the money he had claimed. However he claims that he hasn't "broken any rules" but if he truly believes that is the case why apologise and arrange to pay the money ? I find this whole charade an insult to my intelligence!!! Am I alone in feeling this way?
Old 04-06-2009, 23:26   #269
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Am I alone in feeling this way?
No you're not.

I'd honestly have more respect for someone who had the balls to admit they had been sheep, who'd participated in a system they knew was flawed, but didn't technically break any of the self imposed rules, and weren't going to repay the damned money.

Why pay back any money now, only because the issue is in the public domain?

It's rather like Germans protesting after 1945, that they'd only been obeying orders.

Let's hope tomorrow's election results are the kick in the arse that many mainstream politicans need.

If after being elected by us, they then make laws and moralise to the general public, they'd better make sure they themselves are both moral, and live within the law.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:32   #270

Hyndburn Constituency.

Our M P has regrets over expenses. But it leaves questions unanswered; he moved his second home; second homes? He bought things for this move but did he walk out of the first second home with just his clothes and what happened to furnishing ‘left behind?’ Or where they left behind? Ebay? And how often are they ‘allowed’ to claim for such moves?

And with all the fuss about expenses why did he wait to explain about his expenses till; possible hoping against hope that as a back bencher his expenses would not be highlighted; and made his explanation needed?

And what about the Olympics? Will some M Ps rent out at vastly inflated rents these vitally necessary second homes and if so who will get the rents?

To be honest and to stay within the rules of decency that should go into the national purse and not into the coffers of the greedy.

If some ‘independent’ body sets the Pay and conditions for M Ps at an industry level then industry standards should also apply; the ability of the elector to remove; not after 2 - 3 – 4- years but at the time of any transgression or shift of allegiances from one party to another one.
webglynne is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..