Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-08-2009, 17:35   #331
Resting in Peace

Re: £10,000 offered to leak MP's expenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Jen. On the same film apparently you have Nigel Evans the Tory M.P for the Ribble Valley joking that he couldn't manage on a M.P's salary.

This is the same Tory M.P who voted against the minimum wage!
Clutching at straws Bernard, clutching at straws
Old 13-08-2009, 17:52   #332
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Tory MP Nigel Evans had a mobile phone bill averaging a staggering £375 a month. Would he have spent that much if it came out of his own pocket?

Lose the expenses to gain something far more important - respect | Mail Online

'The Conservative MP for Ribble Valley claimed a total of £6,268 since June 8, including three £1,200 payments for mortgage interest as well as £108-a-month council tax bills and £60-a-month electricity bills.'

'He also claimed back £808.44 for an O2 mobile bill, £85 for the Ribchester Parish Magazine and £600 for service which helps MPs manage constituents' cases.'

MP claims thousands on expenses - Lancashire Evening Post

Mr Evans probably lost his receipt for straws, or he'd have probably have claimed for those as well.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 17:56   #333
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Tory MP Nigel Evans had a mobile phone bill averaging a staggering £375 a month. Would he have spent that much if it came out of his own pocket?

Lose the expenses to gain something far more important - respect | Mail Online

'The Conservative MP for Ribble Valley claimed a total of £6,268 since June 8, including three £1,200 payments for mortgage interest as well as £108-a-month council tax bills and £60-a-month electricity bills.'

'He also claimed back £808.44 for an O2 mobile bill, £85 for the Ribchester Parish Magazine and £600 for service which helps MPs manage constituents' cases.'

MP claims thousands on expenses - Lancashire Evening Post

Mr Evans probably lost his receipt for straws, or he'd have probably have claimed for those as well.
Has he done anything wrong, or is it just cluching at straws again
Old 13-08-2009, 18:05   #334
Senior Member+

Quote:
I'm not clutching at anything.I just happen to think that it's hypercritical of an M.P who voted against the minimum wage to claim joking or otherwise, that he can't live on a salary of £60.000 a year plus expenses.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 18:09   #335
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | Duncan sorry for MP pay 'whinge'

Shadow Commons leader Alan Duncan has apologised "unreservedly" after he was secretly filmed complaining about MPs' pay and expenses.

The Tory MP was heard to say MPs were being treated badly after the expenses scandal and "have to live on rations".

Mr Duncan said the remarks, made to film maker Heydon Prowse of Don't Panic magazine, were meant as a joke.

Why say the comments in the first place?
Quote:
Because some MPs have a sense of humor especially Alan Duncan, he has to have
you would say that jaysay, those who can see further than the end of their noses may say- its what these ******* really think.
Old 13-08-2009, 18:16   #336
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'm not clutching at anything.I just happen to think that it's hypercritical of an M.P who voted against the minimum wage to claim joking or otherwise, that he can't live on a salary of £60.000 a year plus expenses.
Well its obvious Tony Blair couldn't nor his champagne socials wife either
Old 13-08-2009, 18:18   #337
God Member

Quote:
Oh come on now of course he has done wrong. Ok maybe he didn't break any "rules" but they same to change them when they see fit to make themselves look "holier than thou". Personally I don't give a toss which party they represent when they make these outlandish expenses claims thay are out of order and morally wrong. It has been mentioned that it is especially bad as we are in the grip of a reccession, I find it bad at any time. It is no wonder the country is in the state it's in with this lot bleeding it dry
Old 13-08-2009, 18:19   #338
God Member

Quote:
You have a good point here, bud. Perhaps what you need (and I'm not lecturing on something which is really none of my business; just offering a suggestion) is an independent public enquiry, led by someone whose honesty is beyond question. Something along the lines of the Gomery Inquiry into the Federal Sponsorship Scandal, involving some $250 millions of taxpayers' money. Such inquiries keep govts. a little more honest ... if politicians know they are being watched, they tend to behave a little better. And if "I was only joking" is allowed as an excuse for outrageous statements and questionable behaviours, then perhaps we should reassess the nature of political humour, and its role in public statement.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 18:22   #339
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
You have a good point here, bud. Perhaps what you need (and I'm not lecturing on something which is really none of my business; just offering a suggestion) is an independent public enquiry, led by someone whose honesty is beyond question. Something along the lines of the Gomery Inquiry into the Federal Sponsorship Scandal, involving some $250 millions of taxpayers' money. Such inquiries keep govts. a little more honest ... if politicians know they are being watched, they tend to behave a little better. And if "I was only joking" is allowed as an excuse for outrageous statements and questionable behaviours, then perhaps we should reassess the nature of political humour, and its role in public statement.
Someone whose honesty is beyond question, quite a difficult task finding one of those Eric
Old 13-08-2009, 18:33   #340
God Member

Quote:
Someone whose honesty is beyond question, quite a difficult task finding one of those Eric
I know ... those people are as rare as hen's teeth ... but they are there ... we found one in Canada. Surely, with a much larger population than we have, there must be at least one in England.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 18:38   #341
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well its obvious Tony Blair couldn't nor his champagne socials wife either
My point is that Nigel Evans voted against allowing people a decent living wage, whilst at the same time he's complaining about not being able to live on £60.000 plus a year.

Hypocrisy I think is what they call it.
Old 13-08-2009, 18:39   #342
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Yes he has done something wrong.

He, like so many others of them, has abused the system.

A system the politicans created for themselves, and then fought doggedly for that expenses system to remain secret from the general public.

Old 13-08-2009, 18:45   #343
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Eric. In this case they said they were only joking because they hadn't realised that the comments would be made public.

Well, has someboby once famously said "they would wouldn't they".
Old 13-08-2009, 18:45   #344
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I hope the people of the Ribble Valley decide he isn't fit to represent them at the next General Election, after this sorry fiasco.

If he's struggling to make ends meet on £60,000.+ per year, plus expenses, perhaps he should sod off back to South Wales, and see if he can find more rewarding work in the valleys.

Pity all the mines are closed.

Looking so long in the face, as he does, he could have worked as a pit pony.

Old 13-08-2009, 18:53   #345
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Eric. In this case they said they were only joking because they hadn't realised that the comments would be made public.

Well, has someboby once famously said "they would wouldn't they".
It does bring into question the man's judgement.

The man who filmed the latest interview is the same man who recently attacked Duncan's garden, digging a pound sign into his lawn.

Perhaps it's a similar Tory-Lite idea as 'hug a hoodie'.

If you're the victim of vandalism by a political activist, afterwards invite them to the House of Commons for a glass of Pimms, and then let them publicly shaft you for a second time.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..