Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-01-2013, 17:14   #421
God Member

Re: Town Centre Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
In case anybody hasn't seen the Observer this week, there's an artists impression of the new bus station. Looks like a few stables bolted on to each other. Ironic really that there has always been rumours the bus station is being sited there to suit Tesco's. Accrington will have the freshest horse burgers in the country

Here's the link

New Accrington bus station open by 2015 | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk
i think the pictures are a pretty acurate prediction

looks empty and unused

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-01-2013, 17:48   #422
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

What other bits of the Pennine Reach scheme are still going ahead?
I hope no bus lanes. The one at Whitebirk so hardly used and traffic should be non stop towards PC world like it used to be. One lane on the McDonalds roundabout is stupid, the work on the big roundabout appears to be an improvement
Old 22-01-2013, 10:51   #423
God Member

that bus lane at the mcdonalds rounabout is more of a hazzard than anything because if it is to be used as intended it means cars have to cut accross the roundabout at the last second if they want to use the exit for the range.If the roundabout was marked as it should be according to the highway code there would be no misunderstanding and the bus and car could go back to having no problems at all with each other and go about their buisness safely.

mind you cant expect common sense from a county council that says it removed traffic light cameras because people were running into the car infront when the car jumping the red light slammed on because of the flash.The only way that can happen is if the second car also jumped the red light so i fail to see what the problem was.Id rather some idiot suffer from his own stupidity than see a child run over because some moron jumped a red light.

anyway i wander so - mcdonalds roundabout/blackburn = not so good

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 11:50   #424
Senior Member+

It may be a good source of income if Traffic Light Cameras were installed in Accrington, there would only need to be 2 or 3 real ones and some dummy ones - real ones at the Eastgate/Abbey St and Eastgate/Whalley Rd junctions would be ideal, almost every time I go through there I see at least one vehicle going through on red - and they aren't all taxis.
Old 22-01-2013, 12:29   #425
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I am going to guess all that road work was done by both Blackburn with Darwen and the Highways Agency. The Highways Agency stuck all the traffic lights on the M65 junctions trying to stop cars queuing on the motorway trying to get onto the slip road.

I think the bus lane is more about getting funding for achieving bus lane targets than it is for improving traffic flow. A lot like the Pennine Reach scheme we are still being afflicted with. I forget how many Łmillion is being spent to improve bus travel times from Accrington to Blackburn by a few minutes.
Are we all really that lazy that we can't get out of bed five minutes earlier so sitting on a bus for an extra five minutes is not a problem?
Old 22-01-2013, 13:11   #426
God Member

Last years M&S rumour has now resurfaced. Moving the food store and closing down the main store. Latest one today is that WH Smiths wil be closing, though that one comes as no suprise.

It's not a new bus station we need, it's a miracle. Do they have funding for those ?
Old 22-01-2013, 14:00   #427
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I used to pop into W.H.Smiths weekly fer bits n bobs,until 1 week awhile ago i asked fer me usual lottery tickets n got em on "White Paper" just the same as a till receipt, which i lost cos i thought it was one, Never been in since.
Old 23-01-2013, 09:47   #428
Senior Member+

Have been in W H Smiths in The Arndale this morning.
They have confirmed the rumour - unfortunately they too are leaving Accrington. They are to close in March, could be beginning of, or end of, but ... they go in March 2013!!!!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 16:59   #429
Senior Member+

Last one out turn the lights off!
Old 23-01-2013, 18:47   #430
Beacon of light

Like I said...it would have made a good bus station.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 21:20   #431
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Like I said...it would have made a good bus station.
True, but as we don't own it, cost would prohibit that.
Old 23-01-2013, 21:26   #432
Beacon of light

It isn't going to be making much money for its owners with the rate that businesses are leaving the place.
Old 23-01-2013, 21:30   #433
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It isn't going to be making much money for its owners with the rate that businesses are leaving the place.
True but businessmen are just that in my experience
Old 23-01-2013, 21:33   #434
Beacon of light

so as it becomes less profitable.........might they not sell it?
And anyway what would it be worth in the current climate?
The more empty shops there are inside it, the less attractive it becomes......unless of course Tesco want to take it over...or Asda perhaps. Maybe they'll share
Old 23-01-2013, 21:38   #435
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Possible, but if they got a bob or two,more likely sit on it,than sell at a loss? in my opinion it would be as well demolishing, the sodding roof has always leaked fer donkeys years.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..