Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2013, 23:35   #646

Town Centre Changes

Especially on this forum.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-07-2013, 00:34   #647
Senior Member+

Re: Town Centre Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post
Especially on this forum.
Don't you mean "Especially on this forum in reply to latecoming prats"?
Restless likes this.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:00   #648

Town Centre Changes

I know the forum well enough to know that most folk here get a form of empowerment from the mix of collective whining / pack dog mentality / criticism of anyone under 50. You can call that a "community" if you like but I see it more like a substitute for the Samaritans helpline and corresponding reduction in the burden on social services.

My question to the pack dogs is this - what have any of you done to improve Accrington town? I am genuinely interested to hear it. I'm thinking here about those of you who may have started a youth club, or a counselling service. Less at least was upfront enough to say he couldn't be bothered to do anything about the town - fair enough. What of the rest of you?

Yes Arndale is a dump, but it won't magically fix itself.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:11   #649

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
I know the forum well enough to know that most folk here get a form of empowerment from the mix of collective whining / pack dog mentality / criticism of anyone under 50. You can call that a "community" if you like but I see it more like a substitute for the Samaritans helpline and corresponding reduction in the burden on social services.

My question to the pack dogs is this - what have any of you done to improve Accrington town? I am genuinely interested to hear it. I'm thinking here about those of you who may have started a youth club, or a counselling service. Less at least was upfront enough to say he couldn't be bothered to do anything about the town - fair enough. What of the rest of you?

My,my, no wonder you daren't walk around town with an attitude like yours.

What have I done to improve Accrington?

Paid a fortune in local taxes for a lot longer than you.
Used my electoral power more than you to empower others to look after the towns interest.
Employed more local tradesmen than you.
Spent a lot more money with local traders than you.
Financially supported more local appeals and charities than you.

Oh and a few years ago I actually did put some shifts in as a samaritan.

Notice a pattern here..helping the local community without any expectations of gratitude, remuneration or bragging rights. I've earned the right to whine, moan, complain and criticise.

You may have single handedly paid millions in UK taxes by employing twenty people and spending 21 years in various banks, captured, prosecuted and jailed the mafia and IRA, and busted the Colombian Cartel armed only with an HSBC anorak and biro..but...what have you done for Accrington that didn't involve profit for yourself?
Old 07-07-2013, 07:45   #650

Town Centre Changes

Not much, but then its not my town. Haven't profited at all from Accy. I have brought new businesses into the town that otherwise wouldn't be here, and they do employ real people. You won't find me moaning about it though.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:48   #651
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Why would yeh moan about it? Yer intention is to make money from yer investments, Yer only playing a long game, nothing more, but constantly telling folk what good yeh do. nearly 7 ft of bull.
flashy, MargaretR and BERNADETTE like this.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:26   #652
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
and when all is said and done...there is more said, than done!
or its been done to death
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:52   #653

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
You won't find me moaning about it though.
Thats because you haven't seen it slowly eroded over the last 30 years by poor planning, stupidity and (in big sarcastic quotation marks) "urban modernisation".

Perhaps instead of being so quick to slate off people who have watched this disintegration, you took some time to read this thread properly to get a feel of what the town centre used to be like, then you may just understand why we bitch and whine about it. And why we have very little truck with people who try to tell us to get off our collective behinds and do something about it.

You mate, are where the rest of us were 30 years ago...been there, done that, have the t-shirt.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:57   #654
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post

You mate, are where the rest of us were 30 years ago...been there, done that, have the t-shirt.
Doubt very much if he is Guinness? Whilst i have always been a gobby get, I have never regarded meself as "Better" or "Worse" than anyone.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:01   #655
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Can yeh explain that please magpie? Almost full of what? There are much less stalls than ever there was, a large space fer people to sit around, were i have seen odd displays put on, a museum of accy (very welcome it is, but still aint stalls) If also its getting more footflow, i am glad, But my question would be,Are the traders noticing n increase?
Inside the Market Hall most of the units ... stalls...are
occupied : We know it is not liked it used to be: however since there is nothing in the arndale, we are getting more foot flow:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:15   #656
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Fair enough, I would hope the increased footflow is reflected in takings. I go in 3/4 times a week n always seems the same to me.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:17   #657
Beacon of light

Quote:

The people on this forum - you know nothing about......absolutely ZERO.
You only think you know them.
We ARE a community. We help one another in times of need.
I am one of those people who would(and do) go out of my way to help people...but I am not about to trumpet my charitable/community/helpful deeds on here.
That isn't what you do......it is offensive, big headed and totally wrong.

Many of the evils of this town stem from situations beyond the control of us...the little people(in terms of influence that is).

Maundy is a charity...and I guess you would applaud what goes on there....but in reality it has brought harm to the town centre......being charitable doesn't bring in the rich people...in brings in more people with very little in the way of influence.

Local politics has done for us too...especially the politics of Power - Think TESCO.
The people in politics sell us out for what they think they can get, without one thought for what there thirty peices of silver will ultimately do to the town.

The general financial situation...of which you have been an integral part, has not helped either.
There is much less money about...and what money there is doesn't come to the impoverished North.

You make very sweeping statements about the members of this forum without knowing anything at all about any one of us.
It must very good to sit in your ivory tower and pontificate about what you think of us.
YOUR opnion doesn't define me.(or for that matter any one of us on here)

If you live to be 100, you will not give to this community what I have given in my 30 years of a career.
flashy, BERNADETTE and davemac like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:29   #658
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Inside the Market Hall most of the units ... stalls...are
occupied : We know it is not liked it used to be: however since there is nothing in the arndale, we are getting more foot flow:
There's also a large space taken up with benches and a staircase and a number of those occupied units are for non-commercial use, ie the museum. But you're correct on one thing - the market hall is not what it used to be, because the council has ruined it, just as they did the outside market.
flashy and BERNADETTE like this.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:51   #659
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Thing is there a quite a few members on here that have contributed greatly to the town oer the years FACT. But unlike the big head, they do not blow there own trumpets, in fact would be embarrassed to do so. what i have ever done is well known to people that matter, what conclusion non-entities like Singapore joe come too, i could not give a toss.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:23   #660
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Less at least was upfront enough to say he couldn't be bothered to do anything about the town - fair enough. What of the rest of you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I'd help but I'm tired from trying to think of all the phrases that supposedly would get us enthused about the situation.
Tell me Oh Glorious One, Where in the above did I say I can't be bothered?
flashy likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..