Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Did Graham Jones make the right vote, in your opinion?
Yes, he made the right vote. 5 10.87%
No, he didn't make the right vote. 41 89.13%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 13:35   #466
Resting in Peace

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
From the 'Telegraph' website today:

"Police said they had also launched an investigation into claims constituency MP Graham Jones had intimidated voters."

Police investigate voting in Hyndburn (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Thanks for that yerself I'd missed that
Old 12-05-2012, 20:28   #467
Senior Member+

I'd make a genuine plea to people posting on this thread.

Please don't say anything that is on the edge of defamatory or defamatory, and therefore libellous. Voter fraud is very serious as is libel law. The latter is expensive and repeating an untruth does not mean your exempt or any less liable - even if said in a newspaper. It is down to the defamed as to whom they seek to pursue damages from.

In a serious matter such as this (or any matter anywhere), if it isn't a fact that you can defend in front of a barrister do not say it is sound advice.

Just to point out why people should be careful. 1. This is clearly not a normal run of the mill issue, it has national implications. 2. There is no anonymity in libel including the net. 3. I have volunteered a statement about canvassing in Woodnook and the Police do not want one. 4. I believe there is only a 3rd party allegation. i.e. someone whom actually did not see the crime they allege. 5. I also believe there are no witnesses to such an alleged crime (because quite frankly it doesn't take Inspector Clueso to work out it is all bogus).

Finally the LT. The Police neither confirmed or denied there was investigation into myself in their statement. We are looking very closely at libel law in this respect. The Accy Ob having looked at this and the wider case chose not to publish it because it was 'unethical' and there speaks an experienced editor not wishing to print something that may well be untrue.

It's the right of every British citizen including Hyndburn Conservatives to hold to account others who make defamatory comments that later prove to be untrue.

I know Accy Webbers are well meaning - I just do not want innocent people repeating untruths particularly on such a big issue. Of course if they do there would be an option to persue legal redress by anyone on the receiving end and I would ask Labour voters as well to be as minded as the investigation takes place.

Last edited by g jones; 12-05-2012 at 20:34.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 21:24   #468
God Member

I'm confused here If you don't like what voters are saying, threaten them with litigation Wonderful attitude to take door to door at election time.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 21:33   #469
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I'm confused here If you don't like what voters are saying, threaten them with litigation Wonderful attitude to take door to door at election time.
It is neither legal nor ethical to say things that are untrue that damage the integrity of someone else. The law applies to everyone equally and fairly.

Last edited by g jones; 12-05-2012 at 21:36.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 21:50   #470
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
It is neither legal nor ethical to say things that are untrue that damage the integrity of someone else. The law applies to everyone equally and fairly.
Unless it's question period, eh. If my local NDP candidate made statements such as these, the Greens would be getting at least one more vote ... probably lots more. I have no doubt that folks over there are aware of the law ... but this is politics, not the law. If allegations are false, all well and good. But to threaten ... and however veiled it is, it's a threat ... give it a break.
Old 12-05-2012, 22:24   #471
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

From what I can gather the only person making any comment that may be construed as defamatory/libellous appears to be "TheFullTruth" as he/she is claiming these incidents happened to a relative of theirs. From out of nowhere they arrive, drop a bombshell then disappears back into the ether.

All other comments are highlighted as originating from other sources such as the local press & not the individual members who post. "warnings/advice" being uttered by Graham do seem to be a touch "intimidating" themselves & as such heighten peoples perspective of the earlier rumours.

Politics is a dirty little game at the best of times in my opinion & you should heed your own "wise words" Graham. Those being highlighted below as a reminder are your very own.

I know Accy Webbers are well meaning - I just do not want innocent people repeating untruths particularly on such a big issue. Of course if they do there would be an option to persue legal redress by anyone on the receiving end and I would ask Labour voters as well to be as minded as the investigation takes place.
Old 12-05-2012, 22:46   #472
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post

if someone is worried about their integrity perhaps someone should have kept their word on the EU referendum and voted how he said he would.

seen this thread is about if you did the right thing or not over the EU referendum vote and not you been a victim of slander or whatever i thought i would drag this thread back on track

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 23:56   #473
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
From what I can gather the only person making any comment that may be construed as defamatory/libellous appears to be "TheFullTruth" as he/she is claiming these incidents happened to a relative of theirs. From out of nowhere they arrive, drop a bombshell then disappears back into the ether.

All other comments are highlighted as originating from other sources such as the local press & not the individual members who post. "warnings/advice" being uttered by Graham do seem to be a touch "intimidating" themselves & as such heighten peoples perspective of the earlier rumours.

Politics is a dirty little game at the best of times in my opinion & you should heed your own "wise words" Graham. Those being highlighted below as a reminder are your very own.

Looks like buddy spends too much time with his lawyer, and not enough time listening to the concerns of his constituents.
Old 13-05-2012, 08:51   #474
Senior Member+

Does lying to the public in general also come into the same category?
Old 13-05-2012, 09:25   #475
Resting in Peace

Well at least he took the time to PM the threat of libel, which is more than he did on the vote on the European Union
Old 14-05-2012, 17:27   #476
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Does lying to the public in general also come into the same category?
Maybe not not exactly lying ... rather: "I always voted at my party's call, and I never thought of thinking for myself at all."
Old 14-05-2012, 17:41   #477
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Maybe not not exactly lying ... rather: "I always voted at my party's call, and I never thought of thinking for myself at all."
Yoda Yoda Yoda
Old 14-05-2012, 17:47   #478
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well at least he took the time to PM the threat of libel, which is more than he did on the vote on the European Union
Ditto
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 17:50   #479
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Ditto
Oh he loves you too thenYou could just see it couldn't ya, My lud these two defendants in the dock Mr. Max the Collie and Mr Jaysay are guilty of spreading ear say on that infamous Accrington Web about my Client Mr Jones

Last edited by jaysay; 14-05-2012 at 17:56.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 18:19   #480
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Looks like buddy spends too much time with his lawyer, and not enough time listening to the concerns of his constituents.
I have a really witty retort for his veiled threat to we, the innocent members, unfortunately my Solicitor is still checking it for me and I can't ask my M.P.'s advice he's just not answering his 'phone, perhaps someone has upset him?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..