Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Did Graham Jones make the right vote, in your opinion?
Yes, he made the right vote. 5 10.87%
No, he didn't make the right vote. 41 89.13%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-05-2012, 17:25   #616
Resting in Peace

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
The People's Pledge are an organisation setting up referenda across the country asking if people want an in/out referendum. They've been mentioned here before and quite a few of us have signed up. They ran their first campaign in Thurrock where over 14,000 people voted and 90% voted in favour of an in/out referendum.

A few days ago Graham posted about it at Graham Jones MP: Something just feels wrong about the People's Pledge. He says "I have long held the view that the Euro question should at some stage be considered for a referendum." Despite voting against having a referendum in the next Parliament, he still claims to want one.
That shows the contempt he has for his electorate, if he is still claiming he wants a referendum on Europe why did he vote against it, just to toe the party line and keep in favour with Mr Ed
Old 20-05-2012, 17:55   #617
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Just evidence of more hypocrisy.
I have long held the view that the Euro question should at some stage be considered for a referendum. As Hyndburn's MP I believe the Labour Party should consider that option and anti-EU campaigners in Hyndburn can be assured my it is certainly not as one sided as they perceive my position to be on a referendum.

This quote is taken from your link Andrew....some of it makes sense...but some of it doesn't.
anti-EU campaigners in Hyndburn can be assured my it is certainly not as one sided as they perceive my position to be on a referendum.
That bit doesn't...enlighten me please someone
As further evidence of his gross hypocrisy, Graham Jones even had the gall to start his own thread/poll on here, on the actual day of the vote regarding the E.U. referendum, soliciting our views.

Which again showed that the overwhelming majority wanted the democratic right to vote in a referendum, regarding membership of a body we historically never voted to join.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ote-59637.html

Sadly, even with this further evidence, he decided to vote against his constituents being allowed to have the right to have their say on whether we want to be members of the European Union, or not.

He smugly chose party, over us, the people.

Then, moments after the result was announced, he was gleefully posting on Twitter that it had been a 'disaster for the Tories', because they'd many more rebels than Labour, who'd voted in favour of us being allowed a referendum.

Not a single tweet from himself, about the whole debacle being a disaster for Britain's democracy.

Seems this is still an important issue for a lot of people.

Still, at least it takes attention away from the recent legal battles he's involved himself with, concerning the recent elections.

Every cloud...

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 17:58   #618
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
As further evidence of his gross hypocrisy, Graham Jones even had the gall to start his own thread/poll on here, on the actual day of the vote regarding the E.U. referendum, soliciting our views.

Which again showed that the overwhelming majority wanted the democratic right to vote in a referendum, regarding membership of a body we historically never voted to join.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ote-59637.html

Sadly, even with this further evidence, he decided to vote against his constituents being allowed to have the right to have their say on whether we want to be members of the European Union, or not.

He smugly chose party, over us, the people.

Then, moments after the result was announced, he was gleefully posting on Twitter that it had been a 'disaster for the Tories', because they'd many more rebels than Labour, who'd voted in favour of us being allowed a referendum.

Not a single tweet from himself, about the whole debacle being a disaster for Britain's democracy.

Seems this is still an important issue for a lot of people.

Still, at least it takes attention away from the recent legal battles he's involved himself with, concerning the recent elections.

Every cloud...
Be careful Rindi you'll be getting dark and sinister PMs
Old 20-05-2012, 17:59   #619
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Or you could get a personal visit.......again
Old 20-05-2012, 18:00   #620
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Just evidence of more hypocrisy.
I have long held the view that the Euro question should at some stage be considered for a referendum. As Hyndburn's MP I believe the Labour Party should consider that option and anti-EU campaigners in Hyndburn can be assured my it is certainly not as one sided as they perceive my position to be on a referendum.

This quote is taken from your link Andrew....some of it makes sense...but some of it doesn't.
anti-EU campaigners in Hyndburn can be assured my it is certainly not as one sided as they perceive my position to be on a referendum.
That bit doesn't...enlighten me please someone
Yes, yet more gibberish, and evidence of his hypocrisy.

We should be getting used to it by now.

Old 20-05-2012, 18:05   #621
Give, give, give member

Quote:

From the same politicos, who used to cheer me on, with messages of support, when I was on their opponent's case?

Bring it on.

I enjoy a good laugh.

Old 20-05-2012, 18:19   #622
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Or you could get a personal visit.......again
Or do you mean a personal visit from someone higher up this time, than the Deputy Leader of the Hyndburn Borough Council?

Here to set the record straight, in the vain hope of silence, from my good self?

Oh goody.

I love company.

I'll bake some more We Want a Referendum buns.

Made with my secret ingredient filling.

Last edited by garinda; 20-05-2012 at 18:21.
Old 20-05-2012, 18:20   #623
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Or do you mean a personal visit from someone higher up than the Deputy Leader of the Hyndburn Borough Council?

Here to set the record straight.

In the vain hope of silence, from my good self.

Goody.

I love company.

I'll bake some We Want a Referendum buns.

Made with my secret ingredient filling.

Not the secret ingredient filling, oh no
Old 20-05-2012, 18:24   #624
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Not the secret ingredient filling, oh no
Yes, though I couldn't find a laxative smiley, suitable for a family forum.

Old 20-05-2012, 19:03   #625
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
if we pulled out of europe there wouldnt be any of those cushy euro mp jobs to go to when the locals dont like a MP anymore right ?
Yes, they all seem to find a carrot to dangle before us, with promise of an E.U. referendum, prior to an election.

But it magically disappears, just after polling day.

Well we're tired of a diet of magic carrots.

In fact, we're thoroughly sickened by them.

Old 20-05-2012, 19:15   #626
Beacon of light

How can you tell when a politician is lying?

His lips are moving!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 19:27   #627
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Go on then, give me the full facts on pulling out of Europe.

As a Eurosceptic I'd really like to know the full implications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I don't 'follow' him, I just trust him to make decent judgements on issues that he knows about. I don't know about the Europe situation anywhere near as well as he does and from hearing him talk he knows his stuff.

Why would I know about the EU inside out? I don't need to as yet.
Something struck me about these declarations - it's the "as yet".

Sounds ominous.

An "oar" in International Affairs at HBC - could this be the launch-pad towards a career at an International level and reveal sub-conscious European political ambitions in our man from Rishton

Keep watching this space...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 20:24   #628
God Member

So ... if the current leader of the Labour Party decides ... not out of conviction, or a love of democracy of course, but as a matter of political expediency ... if he decides to adopt holding a referendum as part of his party's platform, and it actually comes to pass, with the support of your current MP, will that change how informed voters (the five per cent who do give a rat's ass) view that MP's performance?

Last edited by Eric; 20-05-2012 at 20:27.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 20:47   #629
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
So ... if the current leader of the Labour Party decides ... not out of conviction, or a love of democracy of course, but as a matter of political expediency ... if he decides to adopt holding a referendum as part of his party's platform, and it actually comes to pass, with the support of your current MP, will that change how informed voters (the five per cent who do give a rat's ass) view that MP's performance?
Even if we were ever to get a referendum, and the vote came out for leaving, the EU would just throw it out & demand another vote like they did with Ireland.
My thoughts are if Cameron played the referendum card, at the next EU summit, with conviction, then they might just back off, & stop interfering in Gt Britains affairs, & give us a better deal. The way things are with Greece at the moment, it might just make them stop & think.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 21:21   #630
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Even if we were ever to get a referendum, and the vote came out for leaving, the EU would just throw it out & demand another vote like they did with Ireland.
My thoughts are if Cameron played the referendum card, at the next EU summit, with conviction, then they might just back off, & stop interfering in Gt Britains affairs, & give us a better deal. The way things are with Greece at the moment, it might just make them stop & think.
Has it really got to the point where the EU could thwart the democratically expressed wishes of the British public ... Ireland, maybe, but the UK? Isn't it the sixth or seventh wealthiest country in the world. I mean, we ain't talking River Dance and Guiness here. Since I have lived in Canada, we have had two hard-fought referenda on independence for la belle province de Quebec. A Canada without Quebec! And at the same time, there were rumblings from the Western Provinces, the Maritimes, and British Columbia (not a western province, in the sense that the UK is not European) about separation for their regions. Scary times. However, if the folks in Quebec had voted to leave Confederation, the Feds and the other nine provinces would have accepted the democratically expressed wishes of the Quebecois. Europe is becoming a weird place ... and the krauts ... it's time they had another good ass kicking.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..