Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Did Graham Jones make the right vote, in your opinion?
Yes, he made the right vote. 5 10.87%
No, he didn't make the right vote. 41 89.13%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-05-2012, 22:28   #631
Give, give, give member

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Has it really got to the point where the EU could thwart the democratically expressed wishes of the British public ... Ireland, maybe, but the UK? Isn't it the sixth or seventh wealthiest country in the world. I mean, we ain't talking River Dance and Guiness here. Since I have lived in Canada, we have had two hard-fought referenda on independence for la belle province de Quebec. A Canada without Quebec! And at the same time, there were rumblings from the Western Provinces, the Maritimes, and British Columbia (not a western province, in the sense that the UK is not European) about separation for their regions. Scary times. However, if the folks in Quebec had voted to leave Confederation, the Feds and the other nine provinces would have accepted the democratically expressed wishes of the Quebecois. Europe is becoming a weird place ... and the krauts ... it's time they had another good ass kicking.

Yes, but because of this European fraternal love-in, we haven't been at war with each other for sixty odd years.

We have to travel a little further for fistycuffs nowadays.

Have ammo, and an E.U. task force, will travel.

Well there was that bit of a do in the Balkans.

But they're not proper Europeans. Being a bit swarthy, from having been touched with a non-E.U. standard tar brush.

Plus they aren't European Union members.

Just yet.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-05-2012, 07:15   #632
Beacon of light

There hasn't been(to my knowledge anyway - maybe it happened while I was asleep) any country which has had a vote/referenda as to whether to stay in or leave the EU.

There have been referendums about accepting the fiscal policy...or different treaties....and countries who have voted against the wishes of the EU have been sent away to vote again...until they come back with the right answer(one that is accpetable to Brussels).
Democracy is not being served by the EU. neither is trade....which was the banner under which the EEC(later to become the EU) was floated.
The EU and the single currency were never about about free trade, it was always about politics and the forming of the Federal states of Europe.
This failed as the USSR.......which broke up into original state...there is no reason why the EU cannot do the same thing........and if Greece exits the single currency(which it surely must) then it will be the master of its own fate...it can do back to the Drachma, set its own financial course. People will flock there again for holidays, greek products would become cheaper and therefore more attractive to buyers and the greek economy could once again stabilise, and after a time flourish.
Wouldn't that be a smack in the kisser for Germany?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 19:16   #633
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
There hasn't been(to my knowledge anyway - maybe it happened while I was asleep) any country which has had a vote/referenda as to whether to stay in or leave the EU.

There have been referendums about accepting the fiscal policy...or different treaties....and countries who have voted against the wishes of the EU have been sent away to vote again...until they come back with the right answer(one that is accpetable to Brussels).
Democracy is not being served by the EU. neither is trade....which was the banner under which the EEC(later to become the EU) was floated.
The EU and the single currency were never about about free trade, it was always about politics and the forming of the Federal states of Europe.
This failed as the USSR.......which broke up into original state...there is no reason why the EU cannot do the same thing........and if Greece exits the single currency(which it surely must) then it will be the master of its own fate...it can do back to the Drachma, set its own financial course. People will flock there again for holidays, greek products would become cheaper and therefore more attractive to buyers and the greek economy could once again stabilise, and after a time flourish.
Wouldn't that be a smack in the kisser for Germany?
Seems like the Na oops, sorry ... Germans are becoming increasingly unpopular. Starting to throw their weight around again. Their kinder-gentler-warm fuzzy image is starting to fade. It's not hard to see through their rhetoric ... they want to run the show ... and it's only 98 years since they tried the first time. And then there was that thing in the early 40s ... I seem to remember the Greeks had a rough time of it then too.

As an aside: I know that major league football is becoming a lot like WWE, but I did find myself cheering for Chelski last weekend.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 08:41   #634
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Seems like the Na oops, sorry ... Germans are becoming increasingly unpopular. Starting to throw their weight around again. Their kinder-gentler-warm fuzzy image is starting to fade. It's not hard to see through their rhetoric ... they want to run the show ... and it's only 98 years since they tried the first time.
Yes, it won't be too much longer before our British passports, emblazoned in gold with DIEU ET MON DROIT on the cover, are replaced by ones issued by the United States of Europe, stating on the front that 'Arbeit macht frei'.

Old 22-05-2012, 08:52   #635
Resting in Peace

Brings more meaning to the old one, German and and English soldier are talking the German says "we should have won the war" the English soldier replies "why"
Old 22-05-2012, 09:16   #636
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'Arbeit macht frei'.
"work sets you free".. is that your slogan for your new found right wing buds?

Last edited by Neil; 22-05-2012 at 11:10. Reason: fix quote
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 09:20   #637
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
your new found political buddys?
Oh I'm quite choosy, when it comes to who I have as friends.

Old 22-05-2012, 09:25   #638
Give, give, give member

Quote:
'Arbeit macht frei'.

"work sets you free".. is that your slogan for your new found right wing buds?
Not many poiticans make the grade.

Same with those who are a bit 'slow'.

You'll have to edit your posts a little faster, if you don't want then quoted in their original form.

Old 22-05-2012, 09:35   #639
God Member

Same meaning..and I don't regard myself as a politician..but you do put yourself up front as speaking for "the majority"..your last attempt did nowt as far as the local council votes went so sail on momma
Old 22-05-2012, 09:36   #640
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Not many poiticans make the grade.

Same with those who are a bit 'slow'.

You'll have to edit your posts a little faster, if you don't want then quoted in their original form.
That's the trouble with you your just so damn quick
Old 22-05-2012, 09:39   #641
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well too damn fast for left wing lakies
Old 22-05-2012, 09:41   #642
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well yeah Jaysay...I'm feeling kind so won.t call you a dog again

Last edited by Mancie; 22-05-2012 at 09:44.
Old 22-05-2012, 09:50   #643
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Same meaning..and I don't regard myself as a politician..but you do put yourself up front as speaking for "the majority"..your last attempt did nowt as far as the local council votes went so sail on momma
I speak for no one but myself.

We're all agreed on that.

As for your recent bouts of churlishness, now that I'm no longer a Labour supporter, that's quite funny.

Almost.

Though let's not get sidetracked.

This thread is about the vast majority of us, who think Graham Jones did the wrong thing, voting against us being allowed a say in a referendum on our membership of the European Union.

Let's stick with the subject of this thread please.

Jones chosing party, over the democratic rights of the people he's supposed to represent.

Old 22-05-2012, 09:55   #644
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Even though you're thread wandering, keen on posting your thoughts about my good self, I do thank you for helping to keep this thread active.

I wondered if it might be a struggle, keeping it going until the next General Election.

Obviously not.

Cheers.

Old 22-05-2012, 09:58   #645
God Member

Quote:
I speak for no one but myself.

We're all agreed on that.
We are all agreed? .. who the bloody hell are WE?

Last edited by Neil; 22-05-2012 at 11:12. Reason: fix quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..