Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Did Graham Jones make the right vote, in your opinion?
Yes, he made the right vote. 5 10.87%
No, he didn't make the right vote. 41 89.13%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-05-2012, 10:30   #601
Give, give, give member

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya Less but if you notice this thread is entitled "Did Graham Jones do the right thing", not do all MPs do as they are told, and there was one person who didn't kowtow to the party rulers that was Ken Hargreaves, he was a true man of the people went to Westminster to represent the people of Hyndburn and was one of the very few Tory MPs who did not support the Community Charge (Poll Tax) because he knew it wasn't the right thing for the people who voted for him
...and let's not forget there were a few Labour rebels, though not as many as the Tories, who voted for the democratic rights of their constituents, rather than their party puppet masters.

Though sadly our M.P. wasn't one of them.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-05-2012, 10:42   #602
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
...and let's not forget there were a few Labour rebels, though not as many as the Tories, who voted for the democratic rights of their constituents, rather than their party puppet masters.

Though sadly our M.P. wasn't one of them.
...ah but he knows FAR more about it than us 'umble folk who know our place, and we shouldn't question him!
Old 20-05-2012, 10:57   #603
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
...ah but he knows FAR more about it than us 'umble folk who know our place, and we shouldn't question him!

Oh dear.

That could be tough.

I. for one, will find it hard to keep my gob shut, when it comes to right, versus wrong.

No matter how superior his knowledge is over mine, about these highfalutin, complex issues.

Old 20-05-2012, 11:06   #604
God Member

Graham's estimate of 95% was way off mark

Ed Miliband set for decision on Europe referendum | Politics | The Observer

"A ComRes opinion poll for the Independent on Sunday and Sunday Mirror showed how Europe is emerging as an issue that could be pivotal at the next election. The poll showed that 26% of Tories now say they will consider voting for the anti-EU Ukip compared to 11% of Labour supporters and 14% of Liberal Democrats. It also showed the extent of anti-EU hostility Labour would need to overcome if a referendum were held now, with 46% of voters saying they would vote to leave the EU compared with 30% who would vote to stay in."

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 11:09   #605
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Oh dear.

That could be tough.

I. for one, will find it hard to keep my gob shut, when it comes to right, versus wrong.

No matter how superior his knowledge is over mine, about these highfalutin, complex issues.

I'm with you on this one Rindi, if your there to represent people, then represent them, don't tell them you know best and basically tell them to get stuffed
Old 20-05-2012, 11:12   #606
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Party politics aside, if we're going to have big referendums we should know EVERYTHING.
Absolutely, but sadly politicos immaterial of party give us only their sanitized version which suits their purposes at the time. So we'll never get facts unless we look ourselves, but then having done that & forming our own views & opinions, the public are denied the right to have a say because of arsehole politicos who decide for us !!!

And you wonder why the people have such disdain & no faith in anything political. Constant lies from all sides.
Old 20-05-2012, 11:15   #607
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Graham's estimate of 95% was way off mark

Ed Miliband set for decision on Europe referendum | Politics | The Observer

"A ComRes opinion poll for the Independent on Sunday and Sunday Mirror showed how Europe is emerging as an issue that could be pivotal at the next election. The poll showed that 26% of Tories now say they will consider voting for the anti-EU Ukip compared to 11% of Labour supporters and 14% of Liberal Democrats. It also showed the extent of anti-EU hostility Labour would need to overcome if a referendum were held now, with 46% of voters saying they would vote to leave tup he EU compared with 30% who would vote to stay in."
Yes, the actual source of Graham Jones's claim, that '95% don't give a toss about Europe', remains unsubstantiated.

So far.

Perhaps one of his minions will pop on, and tell us where that figure came from.

Merkel, the office cat, make yet come up trumps, and provide evidence that it's not just a load of old tripe.

Old 20-05-2012, 11:18   #608
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
And you wonder why the people have such disdain & no faith in anything political.
Not forgetting their wannabe apologists.

Old 20-05-2012, 11:20   #609
God Member

if we pulled out of europe there wouldnt be any of those cushy euro mp jobs to go to when the locals dont like a MP anymore right ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 14:25   #610
God Member

The People's Pledge are an organisation setting up referenda across the country asking if people want an in/out referendum. They've been mentioned here before and quite a few of us have signed up. They ran their first campaign in Thurrock where over 14,000 people voted and 90% voted in favour of an in/out referendum.

A few days ago Graham posted about it at Graham Jones MP: Something just feels wrong about the People's Pledge. He says "I have long held the view that the Euro question should at some stage be considered for a referendum." Despite voting against having a referendum in the next Parliament, he still claims to want one.
Old 20-05-2012, 14:40   #611
Beacon of light

Just evidence of more hypocrisy.
I have long held the view that the Euro question should at some stage be considered for a referendum. As Hyndburn's MP I believe the Labour Party should consider that option and anti-EU campaigners in Hyndburn can be assured my it is certainly not as one sided as they perceive my position to be on a referendum.

This quote is taken from your link Andrew....some of it makes sense...but some of it doesn't.
anti-EU campaigners in Hyndburn can be assured my it is certainly not as one sided as they perceive my position to be on a referendum.
That bit doesn't...enlighten me please someone

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 20-05-2012 at 14:42.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 14:56   #612

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

And there it is again...the contempt that politicians have for the voting public

'all showed little understanding of the motion or issue at hand'

And yet again, the politician disects a simple very straightforward question using semantics as an argument.

I despair
Old 20-05-2012, 15:57   #613
God Member

so our MP now says AGAIN we should have a referendum

is anyone buying this bag of bull?

fool us once shame on you

fool us twice same on us

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 17:16   #614
God Member

Something that has always intrigued me about politicians is the question of voting according to one's conscience. This seems quite acceptable, praiseworthy even, when it comes to things like gay marriage, abortion, affirmative action, even pacifism when the question concerns a country going to war. But why is it that voting according to the wishes of one's constituents, and keeping one's word are not considered matters of conscience and principle? Does loyalty to party, and one's own ambitions, take precedence over probity when it comes to the folks who have voted one into a cushy, bs job?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 17:20   #615
Beacon of light

The answer to your question Eric, is......well of course. Ambition and financial gain must be the driving forces. After all, who cares anymore about conscience? 95% of people couldn't give a toss...or so I'm told.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..