Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 11:32   #16
I am Banned

Re: Spire farm development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Also, although Retlaw will no doubt criticise this statement, an old newspaper article states" Another interesting bit of information given by the late Mr Whitham is that an old lady named Betty Ingham (hee Ashworth) who died at Gallows Hall Farm in 1856, aged 96 years, used to say she remembered the building of the present tower at the Spire Farm. This bears out the statement of the late Mr Abram, the historian of Blackburn, to the effect that the tower was removed from old High Riley to its present site in 1801"
Don't need to critisise, 2nd hand or hearsay info is not accepted in a court of law, and any thing writen by ainsworth is suspect before it even gets off the ground.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Neil; 05-03-2010 at 18:50. Reason: fixed quote
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-03-2010, 15:04   #17

Ha ha ha yes it does but believe me the cost for all the renovation and restoration far outways the profit, but its a property of unique status and will be kept as a family heirloom for many many years to come.
RHFOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 15:09   #18

Thank you retlaw great facts to read, would you be able to advise were i could get(if any) inteirior photos from early 1900?
Old 05-03-2010, 15:18   #19

Atarah that would be very kind of you if you could get me a copy as im gathering as much history as possible for myself family and future generations.
Old 05-03-2010, 17:07   #20
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHFOY View Post
Thank you retlaw great facts to read, would you be able to advise were i could get(if any) inteirior photos from early 1900?

The only place I can suggest is my 2nd home
Accy Library.
Retlaw.
Old 05-03-2010, 17:36   #21
Senior Member+

Mr RHFoy, are you aware of the existence of a local history video, which shows your building and I think footage of a field being ploughed nearby. Cant remember the title, but will look it up for you. Would be of interest to you.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:55   #22
Senior Member+

Hi, the video I mentioned is called ACCRINGTON, Past and Present featuring local historian Ken Scott. Think it was done around 1996.
The library DID sell copies, dont know if that still applies.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:33   #23
Resting In Peace

There is one for sale on ebay at the moment

ACCRINGTON PAST AND PRESENT. VHS. on eBay (end time 14-Mar-10 18:28:45 GMT)
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:44   #24

hi all spire farm i am sure i used to go to that farm and play with the farmers son is name was arthur it would be 1963 64 time anybody know of him but i remember that tower so i think it was there
rosegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 18:14   #25

again thank you, i will ask the library again and check out ebay as suggested by jeff, ive picked up a copy of old homesteads from the library and now know alot more facts,about the tower especially.
Old 09-03-2010, 18:37   #26

thank you jeff and for the very helpfull link as it didnt come up on ebay, im trying to bid now but ebay have lost my details, if you know the person or there email i will make a good offer for it jeff
Old 09-03-2010, 18:53   #27

thank you retlaw ill go and have a look again
Old 09-03-2010, 19:12   #28

hi rosegrove, the previous owners for many years were the jackson family so may be it was an arthur jackson, is son tom still lives and runs the farm at high riley cottages were the tower used to be before it was demolished and rebuilt at spire farm, which was called high riley farm many years ago
Old 09-03-2010, 21:35   #29
I am Banned

Quote:
hi rosegrove, the previous owners for many years were the jackson family so may be it was an arthur jackson, is son tom still lives and runs the farm at high riley cottages were the tower used to be before it was demolished and rebuilt at spire farm, which was called high riley farm many years ago
Its a long time since Jacksons were at Spire, wasn't the last person there called Strak or something similar.
What farm is there at High Riley Cottages. The land round there was either Spire or West farm.

West Farms lands were bounded by the stream that runs behind the cottages. Now chopped of by the Bypass.
Retlaw.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:15   #30
Resting In Peace

Quote:
thank you jeff and for the very helpfull link as it didnt come up on ebay, im trying to bid now but ebay have lost my details, if you know the person or there email i will make a good offer for it jeff
Try the shop at the bottom of Burnley Road, next to the taxi office, across the road from the Broadway pub. They might have a copy.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..