Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-11-2010, 13:15   #166
God Member

Re: Spire farm development

We do have a Private Message service where you can have your family chats.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-11-2010, 13:16   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
And what a bad move IMHO, spelling and grammar are a major part of understanding the written word. These moves are not helping our young peope at all
if they did then we wouldnt have forums/facebook/ twitter these have been created to inform the world of other peoples business/concerns/need of help. so maybe cicero would have to come up with a 2010 era quote.
RHFOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 13:19   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
We do have a Private Message service where you can have your family chats.
hahaha, read past the first two sentences and you will find its a generic thread
Old 03-12-2010, 19:55   #169

Re: Spire farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Excuse me Retlaw! As I said, we used to go up by the college, eventually take the pathway to the right and call at what WE called Bluebell Woods!!!!!!!! We used to spend hours in that area when kids!!!!!
hello atarah, yes i did get a copy and since we last chatted on here back in feb-? i have aquired so much more history, hope your well, and again thank you for your help.
Old 06-12-2010, 17:45   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Can't see what all the argy bargy is about, first off who's property is it, why should the current owner of High Riley Farm need to consult or be advised by any other than the local council.
Would any of you put up with outside interference with any of your
own property restorations, I think not.
Did the owners of High Riley back in the 1820's consult any one when they incorporated the old tower that stood behind High Riley Cottages into the barn at High Riley farm.
Never heard any fuss when Leafield Barn was altered, looks nothing like it did when the Wright family owned it.

Retlaw.
thank you retlaw for your assesment, as you say what as it got to do with anyone apart from the local planning at the council, sadly my posting as got tied into a seperate argument re the right of way through our grounds, most folk show respect but only a few( including mature ages) seem to think that they can do what ever they want, and they sit outside local rules/bylaws? but im sure you have read ALL my invites to them to discuss their concerns, sadly they would rather carry on being empty vessels rather than having an open and transparent chat.
Old 06-12-2010, 19:21   #171
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHFOY View Post
im sure you have read ALL my invites to them to discuss their concerns, sadly they would rather carry on being empty vessels rather than having an open and transparent chat.
A lot of people like to ignore the truth so they can hang on to some poor argument or repeat some rubbish told to them by someone else. It would appear you have a few of those walking past your property.

So for the record how many have taken you up on your kind offer?
Old 06-12-2010, 20:45   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
A lot of people like to ignore the truth so they can hang on to some poor argument or repeat some rubbish told to them by someone else. It would appear you have a few of those walking past your property.

So for the record how many have taken you up on your kind offer?
hi neil, wait for it......... NONE
Old 06-12-2010, 21:04   #173
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
hi neil, wait for it......... NONE
I am shocked....Not
Old 08-12-2010, 17:24   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Robert de Lacy granted the lands of Accrington to the monks of Kirkstall in 1192, overriding a previous grant made by his father to Hugh son of Leofwine the Saxon.
The monks established vacaries (farms) on the newly aquired lands after chucking the people of Accrington out, these vacaries were at High Riley, Friar Hill, Antley, Henheads, Iconhurst, Laund and Fernihalgh.
Never found any documentation to show that Cromwell even knew Accrington existed.
When the monks left in circa 1280, the descendant of the de Lacy's appointed a steward to oversee his holdings, he took the name Riley, so he was Robert de Riley, and lived in the vacary known as High Riley
The additions to the barn when the watch tower was moved from behind High Riley Cottages and built into the barn, occured somtime around 1830, a change is shown in the rateable value from the 1828 one, and another made in 1835.
We once had a fire at Spire Farm in the early 1960's and it took 2 other pumps just to relay water to the site, each machine carries 500 yards of hose, hope your water supply has improved, had to relay it from Hambledon lodge.
Retlaw.
hi retlaw, do you know if plantation street that changes to plantation road, was part of the kings highway? or was the kings highway on the other side of the bypass??
Old 08-12-2010, 17:40   #175
Senior Member+

The kings highway runs parallel to the A56 bypass but on the top side of it along lower moleside and through west farm land.
Old 08-12-2010, 18:22   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
The kings highway runs parallel to the A56 bypass but on the top side of it along lower moleside and through west farm land.
pardon my ignorance but is the westfarm land on the other side of the bypass to were i live??
Old 08-12-2010, 20:29   #177
Senior Member+

Yes above the bypass towards hambledon and lower moleside
Old 08-12-2010, 22:03   #178
I am Banned

Quote:
hi retlaw, do you know if plantation street that changes to plantation road, was part of the kings highway? or was the kings highway on the other side of the bypass??
No the Kings Highway that is within the bounds of Accrington, starts at the roundabout just past the Griffin Inn, up past Windy Harbour Farm and twists and turns its way behind Blue Slates, carry's on behind Higher Hey, then on to Stonefold.
Plantation St hasn't always been connected to Plantation Rd, in the past Plantation Rd was a continuation of Birtwistle St.
Google Earth shows some of the Kings Highway.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 08-12-2010 at 22:09.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 22:07   #179
I am Banned

Quote:
pardon my ignorance but is the westfarm land on the other side of the bypass to were i live??
Quite a lot of farm land was separated when that bypass was built, Greenfield Farm disappeared, Slate pits farm had an underpass built, and numerous foot paths were diverted or blocked altogether.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 21:03   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Yes above the bypass towards hambledon and lower moleside
thank you for the facts

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..