Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2010, 20:16   #151
I am Banned

Re: Spire farm development

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
saying the guy don't live there, n then refusing to go talk wi him, has very little to do wi building trade experience, knowing neither of em meself, gives the impression to me who is right. cos to me nowt can be resolved without discussion by the parties.
Can't see what all the argy bargy is about, first off who's property is it, why should the current owner of High Riley Farm need to consult or be advised by any other than the local council.
Would any of you put up with outside interference with any of your
own property restorations, I think not.
Did the owners of High Riley back in the 1820's consult any one when they incorporated the old tower that stood behind High Riley Cottages into the barn at High Riley farm.
Never heard any fuss when Leafield Barn was altered, looks nothing like it did when the Wright family owned it.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-11-2010, 20:56   #152
Senior Member+

Can you tell me when the Wright family had the Leafield i only remember the Richards family being there in my lifetime cause i am but a whippersnapper.The alterations to the Leafield where done by a builder called Roy barnes when he made another dwelling from the barn as well as renovating the original house , which i suppose is an easier project than the Spire because it does not need LBC.
Old 25-11-2010, 21:23   #153
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Can you tell me when the Wright family had the Leafield i only remember the Richards family being there in my lifetime cause i am but a whippersnapper.The alterations to the Leafield where done by a builder called Roy barnes when he made another dwelling from the barn as well as renovating the original house , which i suppose is an easier project than the Spire because it does not need LBC.
The Wright family moved from Hambeldon Hall some time after WW1, they were at Leafield Barn untill some time in the 1950's.
I only knew the mother Mrs Wright, a real formidable woman, and her three sons George, Harry & Richard. George went into property repairing, and Harry worked for some time at Moseleys Bakery in Jacob St, I think Richard was the last one to use it as a farm, they had a rooster that attacked any one who went near the place, I always carried a stick with me when I went to West farm.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 25-11-2010 at 21:28.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 22:11   #154
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Can't see what all the argy bargy is about, first off who's property is it, why should the current owner of High Riley Farm need to consult or be advised by any other than the local council.
Would any of you put up with outside interference with any of your
own property restorations, I think not.
Did the owners of High Riley back in the 1820's consult any one when they incorporated the old tower that stood behind High Riley Cottages into the barn at High Riley farm.
Never heard any fuss when Leafield Barn was altered, looks nothing like it did when the Wright family owned it.

Retlaw.
Agree to my way of thinking nowt at all, the fact the owner is prepared to consult, n objector refuses says it all to me.
Old 26-11-2010, 17:59   #155
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The Wright family moved from Hambeldon Hall some time after WW1, they were at Leafield Barn untill some time in the 1950's.
I only knew the mother Mrs Wright, a real formidable woman, and her three sons George, Harry & Richard. George went into property repairing, and Harry worked for some time at Moseleys Bakery in Jacob St, I think Richard was the last one to use it as a farm, they had a rooster that attacked any one who went near the place, I always carried a stick with me when I went to West farm.

Retlaw.
Thanks for that retlaw although the Richards family did farm the leafield along with other family members who still live at moleside farm to the left of west farm at the top of sandy lane, one of the brothers Thomas Richards had a butchers shop up willows lane.
Old 29-11-2010, 16:38   #156

I am certain that RH Foy is more than willing to give, free of charge, large bags of horse manure for next years crop of rhubarb, this helps to bring out the sweetness. It is quite clear that by putting custard on this years crop, has left a very sour and bitter taste in some peoples mouths.
Denise A Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 19:36   #157

Smile Re: Spire farm development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise A Foy View Post
I am certain that RH Foy is more than willing to give, free of charge, large bags of horse manure for next years crop of rhubarb, this helps to bring out the sweetness. It is quite clear that by putting custard on this years crop, has left a very sour and bitter taste in some peoples mouths.
hahaha very good, i have a sister called denise ann foy but i dont think thats you??.. people can help themselves to the manure, thats untill i can turn it into fuel for the machines on the farm
RHFOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 19:41   #158
Full Member+

This thread reminds me of the first time I saw The Matrix at the cinema - I watched it from the beginning but left not knowing what the hell is was all about!
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 19:43   #159
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
This thread reminds me of the first time I saw The Matrix at the cinema - I watched it from the beginning but left not knowing what the hell is was all about!
You really ought to find out -
...you would be amazed

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 20:23   #160
Full Member+

.....the plot thickens.....
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 23:08   #161
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

This threads getting weirder by the day.
Old 30-11-2010, 10:30   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHFOY View Post
hahaha very good, i have a sister called denise ann foy but i dont think thats you??.. people can help themselves to the manure, thats untill i can turn it into fuel for the machines on the farm
Hi, yep big sis. Just felt that I had to make a comment due to the mentality of some folk, who clearly are not interested in the restoration of Spire Farm. I feel that some threads are a personal dig at you. Knew new, to too, their there, is his, what does it matter??? Maybe you should restore the farm back to the 1800s as some folk are clearly still living in that era.
Old 30-11-2010, 10:33   #163

Just for the record, spelling and grammar are ignored now when marking exam papers.
Old 30-11-2010, 10:49   #164
God Member

Quote:
Just for the record, spelling and grammar are ignored now when marking exam papers.
And what a bad move IMHO, spelling and grammar are a major part of understanding the written word. These moves are not helping our young peope at all
Old 30-11-2010, 13:08   #165

Quote:
Hi, yep big sis. Just felt that I had to make a comment due to the mentality of some folk, who clearly are not interested in the restoration of Spire Farm. I feel that some threads are a personal dig at you. Knew new, to too, their there, is his, what does it matter??? Maybe you should restore the farm back to the 1800s as some folk are clearly still living in that era.
hi denise/sister how did you find out about this forum in preston??
sadly it as got petty re grammer, but people in glass houses shouldt throw stones,.. if you look at one particular thread, you will chuckle.

some folk thing there being clever by correcting such petty mistakes.. this as created a distraction of the first posting i did,, people of accy are entitled to thier genuine concerns as are others who dont want to see an historic landmark ruined by contempory styles, its a great shame that most of them havent seen the way its been ruined inside... as we were brought up to care for all others, this is why i have let the good genuine folk of accy aware of whats going on.
in this day and age you CANNOT win all people over, but if the majority are gratefull that ive kept them informed, then a small few will have to live with not taking up my offer to chat have a look round andEVEN suggest ideas, and finally to those who i/we have confused could i just say that this as been created by those immature people who simply wont wait for the end result or wont put their dogs on a lead or pick up the dog poo, when they pass through our grounds, these people never get the point untill they actually suffer from a dog related incident, and even then they would find a reason to not blame themselves.
RHFOY is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..