Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-10-2012, 22:30   #316
Senior Member+

Re: Spire farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
No Dick Guy's cattle trample them down
Who's he? I think there was a man who ran Spires farm before Straks called Riley - am I right?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-10-2012, 22:50   #317
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Who's he? I think there was a man who ran Spires farm before Straks called Riley - am I right?
If you look back through the posts you will see that the place was called Riley before the Norman Conquest, a lot of the place names in the area retained their names especially when the monks of Kirkstall started aquiring lands in the area, Riley was one of their vaccaries, anoter was Antley, when the monks left, the lands reverted back to the de Lacey family, he appointed one of his stewards to oversee the place he was called Robert he took the name of the place where he lived, and became Robert of Riley, (Robert de Riley) over tha past 900 years there may have been many Riley's who lived there.
Before the1500's very few people had a surname, a man would just be known as Jack of Barnfield, if he had a son he was usually referred to as Jacks son, some took the name of their trade Sam the Smith, Herbert the Tailor, John the Harper. Etc Etc.

Last edited by Retlaw; 30-10-2012 at 22:53.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 23:08   #318
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
If you look back through the posts you will see that the place was called Riley before the Norman Conquest, a lot of the place names in the area retained their names especially when the monks of Kirkstall started aquiring lands in the area, Riley was one of their vaccaries, anoter was Antley, when the monks left, the lands reverted back to the de Lacey family, he appointed one of his stewards to oversee the place he was called Robert he took the name of the place where he lived, and became Robert of Riley, (Robert de Riley) over tha past 900 years there may have been many Riley's who lived there.
Before the1500's very few people had a surname, a man would just be known as Jack of Barnfield, if he had a son he was usually referred to as Jacks son, some took the name of their trade Sam the Smith, Herbert the Tailor, John the Harper. Etc Etc.
yeh I know - High Riley Farm is the one further back from Spire farm.

So Straks was he one of the Slavic invaders! He was polish!
Old 31-10-2012, 10:55   #319
I am Banned

Quote:
yeh I know - High Riley Farm is the one further back from Spire farm.

So Straks was he one of the Slavic invaders! He was polish!
New High Riley Farm is the proper name for what people refer to as Spire Farm. There is also the High Riley Brox, High Riley Cottages, which way are you facing when you say farther back, Mole Side End, Blue Slates, West Farm.
Old 31-10-2012, 11:58   #320
Senior Member+

Quote:
New High Riley Farm is the proper name for what people refer to as Spire Farm. There is also the High Riley Brox, High Riley Cottages, which way are you facing when you say farther back, Mole Side End, Blue Slates, West Farm.
OK - is Mole Side End the farm that sits just below the hill above the lodges. Is that still a farm? Or converted into flats. There was another ruined farm house at the top of the field at the top lodge, I believe the name is Green Field. There was also another small farm a few fields behind it and the owner was an old guy who used to shout/swear if you strayed off the path and even come after you if you walked across his field.

Last edited by kestrelx; 31-10-2012 at 12:04.
Old 31-10-2012, 12:33   #321
I am Banned

Quote:
OK - is Mole Side End the farm that sits just below the hill above the lodges. Is that still a farm? Or converted into flats. There was another ruined farm house at the top of the field at the top lodge, I believe the name is Green Field. There was also another small farm a few fields behind it and the owner was an old guy who used to shout/swear if you strayed off the path and even come after you if you walked across his field.
Green Fields Farm was derelict, the Easterly Bypass went right through it, the other farm you mention could be Miry Lane Farm, the last farmer was Norman Proctor, somebody's done it up, comes home in a helicopter.
Old 31-10-2012, 14:49   #322
Senior Member+

Quote:
They do that, but only in-between breaking our fences and eating our grass.
Old 31-10-2012, 15:40   #323
Senior Member+

Quote:
He has Broad Oak Farm
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 16:20   #324
Senior Member+

Quote:
Green Fields Farm was derelict, the Easterly Bypass went right through it, the other farm you mention could be Miry Lane Farm, the last farmer was Norman Proctor, somebody's done it up, comes home in a helicopter.
He could be on about slate pitts walter?
Old 31-10-2012, 19:09   #325
Senior Member+

Quote:
He has Broad Oak Farm
Who has? Riley? I take it Broad Oak Farm is the one below what used to be Warmden Res (now drained) which used to be a good trout fishery and I think where the trout in the Broad Oak Brook came from also was it Lamont who had the farm up on the top near Warmden?
Old 31-10-2012, 19:12   #326
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
He could be on about slate pitts walter?
Slate Pitts was the one in the trees side of Moleside Hill. I think Miry Lane Farm is right as the one where the dark figure lived (Norman) Used to see him in town as well at the egg stall.
Old 31-10-2012, 20:45   #327
I am Banned

Quote:
Who has? Riley? I take it Broad Oak Farm is the one below what used to be Warmden Res (now drained) which used to be a good trout fishery and I think where the trout in the Broad Oak Brook came from also was it Lamont who had the farm up on the top near Warmden?
Broad Oak Farm no longer exists, it was at Broad Oak Fold, but disappeared when the estate was built. The only farm in the Warmden Res area is Clough Bottom Farm at the end of Cat Hall Lane, map ref 774-277.
Old 31-10-2012, 21:36   #328
Senior Member+

Quote:
Broad Oak Farm no longer exists, it was at Broad Oak Fold, but disappeared when the estate was built. The only farm in the Warmden Res area is Clough Bottom Farm at the end of Cat Hall Lane, map ref 774-277.
I'm just looking at a Ordanance Survey Pathfinder Map from 70's and where Broad Oak Farm was there is nothing marked just some buildings and Warmden Res. Then on the hill towards Spires Farm is marked Heights Farm - that is where Lamont used to live, if it's still there. So I take it a housing estate has been built where Warmden Res used to be?
Old 31-10-2012, 22:02   #329
I am Banned

Quote:
I'm just looking at a Ordanance Survey Pathfinder Map from 70's and where Broad Oak Farm was there is nothing marked just some buildings and Warmden Res. Then on the hill towards Spires Farm is marked Heights Farm - that is where Lamont used to live, if it's still there. So I take it a housing estate has been built where Warmden Res used to be?
No Broad Oak Farm was at Broad Oak Fold, Sandy Lane junction of Barnfield, Heights Farm and the surrounding area is still as it was before they drained the Warmden, that lane used to go on past Heights Farm to Warmden Quarry, and is no where near Spire farm.
When I was in the Fire Brigade one of my jobs was updating the Farm Records, which showed the quickest access route & the nearest water supplies, in our division we had over 900 properties in the records which required a lot of checking as farms or small holdings were sold off or demolished.
Every fire appliance on the station carried a copy of those records, now its done by computer and it uses postcodes to search for the routes, when they showed it to me I beat it 7 out of 10, a lot of the outlying properties don't have a post code.
Blue Slates, West Farm, Moleside End are just 3 that I can still remember, the last one up Sandy Lane with a post code is New High Riley. They have to collect their own mail posty won't or can't get up some of the older roads or lanes in Accy, Sandy Lane is impassable past New House farm.

Last edited by Retlaw; 31-10-2012 at 22:05.
Old 31-10-2012, 22:16   #330
Senior Member+

Quote:
Did you ever meet or see Straks - he looked like Kojak with completely bald head except he had a Polish accent.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..