Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013, 08:03   #4891
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Good advice....Will take it into consideration

There is a photo I want to take..... I am stuck on this idea for a picture but do not know how to go about it. I want to stand in the middle of Accy Stanley(even though I don't like football and yet I wear a Stanley hat) and do a photosphere.
Just go down the club & have a chat with them, you may be surprised Rob. X years ago we came to Accy to have a look at the club & take some photos, it was closed season & ended up chatting to the groundsman, he then asked if we'd like to go inside the ground, he then took us in & gave us our very own personal tour, stands, onto the pitch, changing rooms etc, I could take as many pics as I liked from wherever, they couldn't have been more accommodating.

From that point on we've made the effort of visit Accy & were possible take in a game or two (at the same time having the dubious honour of meeting up with some of the denizens that frequent these pages! )
Old 07-09-2013, 08:48   #4892
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Today in Pictures, it was forecast for rain, and rain it did.

1. Look at this and play the theme from Coronation Street in your head.
2. The lane between Lower Barnes Street and the Hyndburn Bridge pub. The fact that it is cobbled means it must have had some importance when industry thrived down here.
3. Due to the rain there has to be a moist moment.
4. River Hyndburn as it heads for the pub.
5. Change of direction, same river.
6. Wet stuff all around.
7. Just time for another moist moment.
8. Alright then, one more.
Love those cobbles, Dave! The pic of the cyclamen in the previous set was really good too - signs of autumn there. Love the bowling green pic too!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:03   #4893
Beacon of light

Quote:
Enthusiasm comes and goes, but if you sell your camera and it returns you will be sad.
I agree with this. So far this year my opportunities for taking pictures have been very limited...but I would not consider selling my camera's(I have a few).......I am not into taking pics with a phone.....my phone doesn't do pics and I really don't envisage having one that does.
I have an Ipad, but find it very limited for taking pictures.

I would only sell my camera's if I was very short of cash(and they wouldn't be worth much) and had a pressing bill to pay or no food to eat.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:17   #4894
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I agree with this. So far this year my opportunities for taking pictures have been very limited...but I would not consider selling my camera's(I have a few).......I am not into taking pics with a phone.....my phone doesn't do pics and I really don't envisage having one that does.
I have an Ipad, but find it very limited for taking pictures.

I would only sell my camera's if I was very short of cash(and they wouldn't be worth much) and had a pressing bill to pay or no food to eat.
Once you have bought the camera, what follows is, to all intents and purposes free (unless you print out) and to sell the camera would result in a loss as you say, you never get what you paid for the thing in the first place.
So it makes sense to put it to one side until enthusiasm returns, we will be here when it does
Restless and Turtle like this.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:24   #4895
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Love those cobbles, Dave! The pic of the cyclamen in the previous set was really good too - signs of autumn there. Love the bowling green pic too!
Have snapped that set of cobbles before, but the rain gave them a bit of depth, I did however walk back up after taking that snap as they were as slippery as a very slippy thing with slippy extracts, and I fall on my posterior enough without pushing my luck. The Cyclamen were they only clump in the park that I could see, you can get a feeling that Autumn has truly arrived when the fungi are coming up all over the place. My next project is Autumn colour, the leaves are just turning but nothing photogenic at the moment.
mobertol likes this.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:53   #4896

Quote:
The weather here has started to be wet, and with that brings with it more opportunities for moist moments, and I do like to be out in all types of weather, especially the frosty bits.
The plant you see is a very common weed here, Himalayan Balsam, and has become very invasive, but it does have a nice flower, it can get over 6 feet tall. It was introduced in 1839 by Kew Gardens as an ornamental plant but soon escaped into the wild and became the problem it is today, along with Giant Hogweed and Japanese Knotweed, another two plants that are invasive and push out native species.
I just found out we have it in Ontario too. Pretty, but nasty
mobertol and davemac like this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 16:11   #4897
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I just found out we have it in Ontario too. Pretty, but nasty
It has to be a bit on the sturdy side to live up the Himalayas, its related to the busy lizzie plant, it is planted out for summer and used as a pot plant as well, they both have the exploding seed pod to scatter its seeds.
Old 07-09-2013, 17:55   #4898
Senior Member+

Quote:
If you want to take it, ask the groundsman when he is knocking about, or do you want it full of spectators ? Or write a letter to the club, I am sure they will assist. Whichever way, do it.
I think empty would be better. It would be a bit weird spinning around all over the place in front of the spectators
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 18:23   #4899
Beacon of light

Full would be interesting though Rob.......I like people in my pics...it gives them life.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 18:46   #4900
Senior Member+

Driving along Hyndburn road today I saw a sign advertising a Model Railway Exhibition in the Hyndburn Sports centre. Nowt better to do so I popped in for ten minutes and came out two hours later. I was amazed at the quality and size of the layouts, it's on Sunday as well if you fancy taking the kids or re-living your youth.

No.1 Looking down from the balcony.
No.2 Wishful thinking.
No.3 Station that never was. (I think).
No.4 Liverpool Lime street station.
No.5 Ditto.
No.6 An American paper mill model rail yard.
No.7 Proper smoke from model shop fire.
No.8 Another busy station.
No.9 The big layout was controlled from this panel and run to a strict schedule.
No.10 Part of the big layout.

If you look closely at the last picture you can see the effort the modellers have put in to get it as authentic as possible.
Notice the policeman frisking the chap outside the cannabis cafe, in the window of the Wilkinsons Hi Fi shop at the end there were two tiny model TV's flickering away in the window.

I was lucky that I always carry my little pocket camera with me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030038-1.jpg (549.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg P1020948-1.jpg (491.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg P1020944-1.jpg (523.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg P1020951-1.jpg (536.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg P1020954-1.jpg (497.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg P1020933-1.jpg (529.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg P1020997-1.jpg (503.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg P1020991-1.jpg (525.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg P1030024-1.jpg (503.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg P1020999-1.jpg (511.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-09-2013, 20:09   #4901
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
I think empty would be better. It would be a bit weird spinning around all over the place in front of the spectators
You could go on as half time entertainment !
Old 07-09-2013, 20:14   #4902
God Member

Had heard that there was the model exposition in the sports center -one of Hyndburn Mayor's engagements for today along with a gardening show in Great Harwood and the Bash allotments show. Nice to see the badminton hall again -used to play there many a moon ago -looks like it was a really good display -great attention to detail in the models. Used to go through Lime Street Station very often as a student!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 07-09-2013, 20:14   #4903
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Driving along Hyndburn road today I saw a sign advertising a Model Railway Exhibition in the Hyndburn Sports centre. Nowt better to do so I popped in for ten minutes and came out two hours later. I was amazed at the quality and size of the layouts, it's on Sunday as well if you fancy taking the kids or re-living your youth.

No.1 Looking down from the balcony.
No.2 Wishful thinking.
No.3 Station that never was. (I think).
No.4 Liverpool Lime street station.
No.5 Ditto.
No.6 An American paper mill model rail yard.
No.7 Proper smoke from model shop fire.
No.8 Another busy station.
No.9 The big layout was controlled from this panel and run to a strict schedule.
No.10 Part of the big layout.

If you look closely at the last picture you can see the effort the modellers have put in to get it as authentic as possible.
Notice the policeman frisking the chap outside the cannabis cafe, in the window of the Wilkinsons Hi Fi shop at the end there were two tiny model TV's flickering away in the window.

I was lucky that I always carry my little pocket camera with me.
An interesting set of pictures, the more you look at them the more you see.
Old 07-09-2013, 20:19   #4904
God Member

Took me while this morning to go through the thread to catch up -many "likes" pressed. Hope to have some of my own ready to post soon from my recent hols in the UK. So sorry I didn't pick up about the walk along Bash lines with Jen, Dave and Gremlin in time -nice to see some pics of you all at last though. All looking really well. I especially liked seeing how Dave gets down to take his close-ups of funghi. Perhaps the next group walk could involve some water so we could see him in his favourite medium too
shillelagh, davemac and Turtle like this.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 07-09-2013, 20:47   #4905
God Member

Photos from a recent trip to Manchester -I loved the mix of old and new buildings. Just a taste of what I saw -from the Corn Exchange to the Royal Exchange Theatre, Piccadilly and some very old pubs -moved to the center from elsewhere, to the town hall and the John Rylands Library among others. Was very impressed haven't been back to Manchester since 1982!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8399.jpg (516.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8408.jpg (504.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8424.jpg (500.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8432.jpg (502.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8444.jpg (318.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8498.jpg (442.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8487.jpg (483.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8510.jpg (337.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8526.jpg (498.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8557.jpg (503.9 KB, 5 views)

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..