Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oswaldtwistle (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f103/)
-   -   Does anyone remember in ossy (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f103/does-anyone-remember-in-ossy-45378.html)

garinda 07-02-2009 09:07

Re: Does anyone remember in ossy

I've just asked picked my mum's brains, and it was Crawshaw's.

They had a daughter who was called Pat, a 'very bonny girl', who'd be around sixty five now.

jaysay 07-02-2009 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 676825)
Campbell!

I knew it was Scottish.

Thanks.

:)

When Bob retired I'm nearly sure A chap called Birch took it over, he'd worked with Bob and just carried on when Bob packed in, can't remember his first name but his brother was a mate of mine Kevin, he was a chippy lived on Stanely Street or Duke Street

bondi38 07-02-2009 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 676827)
I've just asked picked my mum's brains, and it was Crawshaw's.

They had a daughter who was called Pat, a 'very bonny girl', who'd be around sixty five now.

Gary please will you pick your mums brains again and ask her if she knows the whereabouts of the son called Alan he is the one i need to get in touch with i will ask your mum if i see her on the road as i often do if she has come to the shop.
Thanks a lot.
Marian.

hazel200 13-02-2009 09:50

you wont know village pantry south ausie.it shot up when you went to australia,,,

garinda 13-02-2009 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by bondi38 (Post 676884)
Gary please will you pick your mums brains again and ask her if she knows the whereabouts of the son called Alan he is the one i need to get in touch with i will ask your mum if i see her on the road as i often do if she has come to the shop.
Thanks a lot.
Marian.

Sorry I missed this.

Yes I'll ask her, though initially she only remembered the daughter, Pat.

south aussie 14-02-2009 08:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazel200 (Post 679259)
you wont know village pantry south ausie.it shot up when you went to australia,,,

Some time ago i asked the question WHAT HAS CHANGED IN OSSY
After reading various posts it really does seem that nothing has changed
to people living in Ossy.
For people living overseas even small changes are very noticeable
I did not know the CO OP has been moved down Union Road opposite to where the Tripe shop was
Even small changes can affect your memory of how things were

garinda 14-02-2009 08:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by south aussie (Post 679735)
Some time ago i asked the question WHAT HAS CHANGED IN OSSY
After reading various posts it really does seem that nothing has changed
to people living in Ossy.
For people living overseas even small changes are very noticeable
I did not know the CO OP has been moved down Union Road opposite to where the Tripe shop was
Even small changes can affect your memory of how things were

Personally I think it was a shame that they demolished the main Co-op, apparently we also had at least three more smaller Co-ops too.

It was a grand old buliding, and Ossy Co-op was at one time famous for paying the highest 'divvy' in the country.

jaysay 14-02-2009 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 679741)
Personally I think it was a shame that they demolished the main Co-op, apparently we also had at least three more smaller Co-ops too.

It was a grand old buliding, and Ossy Co-op was at one time famous for paying the highest 'divvy' in the country.

There was one down near the Palladium on the corner of Collier Street Rindi and the if I remember rightly the one where your Dad had the night club had a Tailors and Hardware as well as food

bondi38 14-02-2009 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 679773)
There was one down near the Palladium on the corner of Collier Street Rindi and the if I remember rightly the one where your Dad had the night club had a Tailors and Hardware as well as food

Dont remember that one John please enlighten me is it in in the gobbiners book i buy all the books but not seen that one .
Look forward to knowing that information.

cashman 14-02-2009 12:29

i remember it bondi, from me years at tech, 59/63 was just up a bit on opposite side, seem to remember pale blue boarding above the windows.

bondi38 14-02-2009 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 679842)
i remember it bondi, from me years at tech, 59/63 was just up a bit on opposite side, seem to remember pale blue boarding above the windows.

Wellcashy youve got me there do you mean on the block where the new chemist is now .
Will have to ask my mother about that she may remember as she is 94 and all i remember was going up the steps at the one on Union Road for the Divi .

BERNADETTE 14-02-2009 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 679842)

Is it where the fancy dress shop is/was?

bondi38 14-02-2009 13:08

Thats where i mean but now the chemist has took all that block over

cashman 14-02-2009 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 679852)

don't know that shop bernie,unless ya mean the hire shop? if so i'm sure it was a bit further up. but wouldn't put me house on,its a long time ago,n i wasn't much of a shopper in them days, yeh bondi yer mam should hopefully remember it,bless her.:)

jaysay 14-02-2009 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 679852)

Its was a bit lower down than that Bernie, the left hand corner of Collier Street, the fancy dress costume shop was Louy Parks Furnishing who moved there from what was the old CO-OP shop that was on the opposite side of the road just lower down than the clinic. there were loads of grocers shops in those days there was Duckworths where the launderette is just across from the Civic Theatre, then higher up (now Owen and Ewing's Insurance, and once the Steak Bar) was Jimmy Gorrels, and of course Rileys at the top end of Ossy, and a little one on the opposite side of the road next to the paper shop, the woman who had it was Madg Wilson, she was my mate Lefty's Aunt