Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2004, 20:38   #16

Re: Crossing

It is a carpark and has been for a while now.
I think the least that ossy mills could do is put a crossing patrol on during opening hours.

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-10-2004, 21:46   #17
Junior Member+

I Know what you mean near ossy mills but they get away with it . If it was us we would not be able to put a car park there in the first place because of health and safety
sniggil52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2004, 13:30   #18
Resting in peace

Latest news - meant to post it before. Last time I was up, I nabbed one of the managers at Ossy Mills. Apparently there are plans for a crossing, it has been discussed with Hyndburn, and Ossy Mills are pressing for this. However, if Hyndburn are involved, don't hold your breath!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2004, 15:52   #19
I am Band

Please don't quote me, but I was under the impression that Lancashire Highways Department were responsible for the siting and upkeep of pedestrian crossings.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 13:22   #20
Resting in peace

When I asked at Ossy Mills, they said "the Council". I just assumed it was Hyndburn, and didn't hold my breath. As a large part of our Council Tax (ouch!) goes to Lancs County Council, I should have realised that they have to be responsible for something (although in local government, that doesn't always follow).

Either way, I shall keep pressing!
Old 17-12-2004, 23:29   #21

Nooo no crossing it can be a nightmare trying to get out of Moscow Mill Street as it is, a crossing will just make it worse.
jrenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2004, 22:21   #22
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrenshaw
Nooo no crossing it can be a nightmare trying to get out of Moscow Mill Street as it is, a crossing will just make it worse.
I think your reply is a bit selfish, this crossing is about making it safer for people to cross a busy road not about a couple of minutes you may have to wait for them to do it.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2004, 22:29   #23

it might sound that way but that car park is only ever really used at weekends, so most of the time there is no need. Also in out local neighbourhood newsletter there is mention of other local people complaining about that junction. So what is selfish? A crossing for those visitors who go shopping at the weekend, or the desires of the locals. Surely it would be more considerate of the shoppers to wait a couple of minutes to cross the road than all the locals every day!
Old 20-12-2004, 17:07   #24
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrenshaw
Okay, let's make everyone happy. Let's have lights at the corner of Moscow Mill Street and Union Road, with a pedestrian phase, so everyone can have a turn.

However, that still leaves the school further up the road without a safe place to cross, only an island in the middle of the road ......

Oh, and yes, I do drive too.
Old 20-12-2004, 18:48   #25

well to be honest you might have something there, also with the increasing numbers using moscow mill street and new housing estates, it might be worth improving moscow mill street itself.
Old 04-01-2005, 21:38   #26
Senior Member+

Hi

Very interesting thread, am assuming the problem is caused by the car park (old petrol station) on Union road.
There is a point, someone quoted "health & safety". The cars are parking on an "old petrol station", what about the underground tanks, have they been made "safe", are they filled with concrete, or what...........if not, and they have just "capped" the tanks then its WOW cars are sat on a time bomb............petrol vapour is worse that the liquid. Just a thought.
Something does need to be done with the union road moscow mill street junction, both from a pedestrian point of view and a drivers point of view, it is a very difficult place to get through at peak times. I think the owners of "Ossy Mills" have done a lot to bring back employment, and interest to the area, possible up to HBC to add a little to help
park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 14:04   #27
Resting in peace

I shall ask again next weekend, when I go to Ossy Mills (I come up with a shopping list for friends in London, who can't believe the prices!). It's not just Ossy Mills, though, I only quoted that as a possible pressure point. There should be a crossing for the local residents - there isn't even one by the station, where people may well need to cross with luggage, and there are two blind bends. All it takes is one idiot who thinks Market Street/Union Road is a racetrack.
Old 18-02-2005, 16:40   #28
Senior Member+

Think you are correct, there's St Pauls school, the new Doctors surgery and visitors to "Ossy Mills",as stated previous "Ossy Mills" have done a lot for Ossy, may be some pressure on HBC may help

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 20:34   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
Think you are correct, there's St Pauls school, the new Doctors surgery and visitors to "Ossy Mills",as stated previous "Ossy Mills" have done a lot for Ossy, may be some pressure on HBC may help
including slowly turning ossy into one big car park lol and also its the new cleveleys
Old 26-02-2005, 14:42   #30

i to agree, its only a matter of time till someone gets knocked down there, it was said that about the road outside accy townhall, now it has happened!!!!
paulthepony is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..