Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2004, 11:57   #1
Resting in peace

Crossing

Does anyone else agree that there should be a zebra or better still a pelican crossing by Ossy Mills? There is a car park on the opposite side of the road, but nowhere really safe to cross. There isn't even one outside St Paul's School. There is nowhere really safe to cross the road between the Health Clinic at the top, and Church traffic lights, and Market Street/Union Road carries quite a bit of traffic from time to time. I know there aren't a lot of houses on the other side, but some of us live there!

Who do I pester? - Hyndburn Council or the local Police? I am quite prepared to do either or both.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-09-2004, 16:45   #2
God Member

Re: Crossing

Good idea, Pendy - maybe stick a few extra speed cameras on Union Rd as well. IMHO there's nowhere near enough of those in Hyndburn.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 17:28   #3
Resident Waffler

Good luck with your pestering but don't hold your breath.

There is no zebra crossing on Queens Road West near Moorhead and St Christopher's high schools. In the mornings and late afternoons that is often a very busy road. Because the children are over 11 it is not deemed necessary for a "lollypop person" to assist them. Several children have been injured crossing the road there including my daughter who run over last October and ended up in intensive care. Still the council in their wisdom see no necessity for a pelican crossing. Are they waiting for a child to be killed?

I agree with you that Union Road is very busy and always has been. When I worked in Church I remember the difficulty I had trying tio get into the traffic in Market Street in order to get home. Quite often I would just give up and go upwards instead and along Moscow Mill Street.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 17:32   #4
God Member

In most driver's opinions, myself included, there are far too many speed cameras, not too few, and not just in Hyndburn. As to the Zebra or Pelican, the area is very busy and would most likely benefit from one.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 18:53   #5
Senior Member+

I think you should get onto the council and raise the "health and safety issue" on how visitors to our area are meant to cross to one of the area's only tourist attraction.. This should make them think? One thing is for sure they will not act on your concern's as a local.... But play on the visitor appeal etc.

And ask Ossy mill's how they feel about the health and safety of there visitor's.

I have seen the council jump through hoop's when "The health and safety issue" is pushed.... Let's hope eh..
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 19:10   #6
Resident Waffler

I think they'll probably point out that most of the visitors will have come by car or coach and will therefore have parked at the same side of the road as Ossy Mills so the existence of a crossing won't be relevant.

I'm trying to think where I have crossed Union Rd (probably where there's a "traffic island" and done it in two stages.)

Old 10-09-2004, 11:14   #7

There was a pelican crossing by the foxhill pub and the clinic on the corner of haworth st, i don't know if its still there??
savo is back. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 11:20   #8
Resting in peace

Yes, there still is, so you can lurch out of the clinic and into the Foxhill. Unfortunately that is the only one - nothing going down to Church until the traffic lights at Blackburn Road, even with the school, Ossy Mills, and the station on the way.

Willow, there is a traffic island outside the school, and it is easier to cross in two goes, but for young children and elderly people (and I'm getting there) it isn't a big help.

I am going to press the Council, and I will rope in Ossy Mills' management. It is probably right that the Council will do nothing for the locals, but will bend over backwards to pander to tourists!

Mind you, it will probably mean a small increase in Council tax ....
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 12:16   #9
God Member

They will probably stick one of them pink lines across the road that makes people think its a crossing and that cars have to give way when they dont... The amount of times I have to slam on because someone steps out thinking I have to stop.... Someones gonna get hurt
Old 10-09-2004, 12:17   #10
God Member

You can put as many speed cameras as you want in Hyndburn.. I have the perfect way of never being flashed..... I just keep to speed limits... Stick em where ya want I dont care..
Old 10-09-2004, 12:19   #11
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Willow, there is a traffic island outside the school, and it is easier to cross in two goes, but for young children and elderly people (and I'm getting there) it isn't a big help.

On Queens Rd West? Whereabouts? I went up there to check the scene of the accident and there wasn't one then. There is one in Whalley Road but my daughter isn't crossing Whalley Rd. She crosses QRW outside the school driveway (which is now the main entrance as opposed to the old Cromwell Avenue entrance). My daughter comes from the direction of the town centre (as do a lot of other children) and has to cross QRW. I'll have to go up there again and have another look.

I'll be interested in seeing what kind of response you get. Good luck.

Old 10-09-2004, 17:15   #12
Junior Member+

yes there should be a crossing there it is very busy as i know the area.It would be a lot safer for ppl to cross
diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 18:02   #13
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Willow, Pendy is talking about a traffic island on Union Rd not Queens Rd West.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 20:13   #14
Accrington Web Mascot

Ossy Mills have acquired the land from the garage which is on the opposite side of the road then the mill shops - and it certainly would be beneficial for a zebra or pelican crossing to be nearby (especially as the average age of Ossy Mill's customers is 206, therefore, they would find it quite difficult to sprint across!!!)
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 20:25   #15
Resident Waffler

Any idea what they are going to use that land for? If it's a car park then they will certainly be interested in having a crossing from there to the mill shops

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..