Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2009, 21:50   #46
God Member

Re: Harvey Street Youth Club

i must admit, i probably got upto a hell of a lot worse than these kids when i was 'young'
Old 02-07-2009, 22:22   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You have a good memory
i suppose having definative things occur when young make bee young easier to remember...

like teh invention of teh wheel for example

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 22:59   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
we have been in touch with little and large ( cpt) but nothing's being done:
The police were paying a visit tonight when I went to collect somebody from Hipping Vale next door. I think it was community police as opposed to real police
Old 02-07-2009, 23:52   #49
God Member

That place has been troublesome since I was a kid. Adults complained about it then too.

Its a hard one really because we all want our young uns off the street but we also want them in a safe envioroment

If these kids are drinking and having sex where are the police .

I think the guys who run such places can only be responsible for them if they are inside the premises (Might be wrong) but if thats the case then they are powerless to whats happening around outside,
Perhaps its time to shut the doors if local residents are affected so badly or at least time for relocation.

GOOD LUCK .
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:36   #50
God Member

I was next door at Hippings myself yesterday. When we were leaving at about 9pm there was a huge group of young people outside the youth centre. I couldn't see any alcohol but I agree they were being loud. But, isn't that what young people are? Even when my two are trying to tell me something from school they can't keep their voices down or when they're in the paddling pool in the back, they are screaming and laughing really loud. Kids are loud.

If they're behaving reasonably well and they're in a safe environment shouldn't this be a good thing - they could quite easily be sat in Rhyddings Park terrorising the ducks or outside the Co-op terrorising old folk trying to shop. At the youth centre they are at least, policed in some way by the people who run it and known by the police who visit regularly.

I think the main issue is the time it goes on for. My neighbour, who lives further up the road, has a direct line of sight to it and he says it goes on until very late. Fortunately, for me the trees muffle the sound so I can't hear it very well.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:09   #51
Resting in Peace

Well to all intents a purposes the music stops at 9-45 each evening, this week has been exceptional, with very warm weather, probably the reason young people were outside. Martin the youth leader and his staff are working hard for these young people, in fact the last time I saw him, last Monday or Tuesday, he had worked 19 days without a break. Back in the late eighties a lot of people who did give a damn about young people in Ossy gave up countless hours of their own time lobbying for this facility and raised thousands of pounds to equip the centre when it was finally built. Catering for the needs of young people today has never been harder, but people like Martin are making a difference and I for one applaud his attempts to change attitudes towards the youth of Ossy, It may just help if from time to time he got some positive vibes instead of continually getting negative ones
Old 03-07-2009, 11:28   #52
God Member

Sorry Jaysay, I didn't mean to come across as negative - I was trying to defend the young people and trying to point out that it's a good thing that they have somewhere to go. Perhaps it didn't come across like that so apologies.

I think it's important for young people to have these facilities and I know the hard work that people like Martin put in.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:40   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well to all intents a purposes the music stops at 9-45 each evening, this week has been exceptional, with very warm weather, probably the reason young people were outside. Martin the youth leader and his staff are working hard for these young people, in fact the last time I saw him, last Monday or Tuesday, he had worked 19 days without a break. Back in the late eighties a lot of people who did give a damn about young people in Ossy gave up countless hours of their own time lobbying for this facility and raised thousands of pounds to equip the centre when it was finally built. Catering for the needs of young people today has never been harder, but people like Martin are making a difference and I for one applaud his attempts to change attitudes towards the youth of Ossy, It may just help if from time to time he got some positive vibes instead of continually getting negative ones

I agree Jaysay it is hard to cater for todays kids and I applaud anyone who takes on the task of trying to occupy them (I personally couldnt)

What i was trying to say that if it is as bad as some residents are saying then rather than close it down altogether relocate. . We were lucky as kids we not only had Harvey st on a friday night but also Lock st which were great . they did allsorts to keep us busy inc have a local netball team.

However Harvey street had to close its doors back then purely because of the trouble that spilled out onto the streets.

Like I say its a tough call.

I just hope than rather than lose it altogether for the kids some compromise with the residents can be made.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 14:49   #54
Resting in Peace

I don't care what the kids do outside... or to each other: don't care if they drink , smoke whatever:

What I do care about is the noise level.... its just too loud: if they shut the doors and turn it down just a bit... would make me happy...

If it was a pub it would be shut down....
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 14:51   #55
God Member

Magpie, have you got kids who use the youth club?
Old 03-07-2009, 15:19   #56
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Magpie, have you got kids who use the youth club?
no....but if i did i would not want them in there.... oh and i can stand noise... i am a musician... but this is way ott
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 15:34   #57
God Member

what are they doing? shouting or just talking loudly?
Old 03-07-2009, 16:11   #58
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Sorry Jaysay, I didn't mean to come across as negative - I was trying to defend the young people and trying to point out that it's a good thing that they have somewhere to go. Perhaps it didn't come across like that so apologies.

I think it's important for young people to have these facilities and I know the hard work that people like Martin put in.
No need to apologies, I didn't take it that way at all Gayle, its just that there is quite a lot of negative criticism, at a time when there is so much effort going into helping young people, and I find it very sad
Old 03-07-2009, 16:22   #59
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
I don't care what the kids do outside... or to each other: don't care if they drink , smoke whatever:

What I do care about is the noise level.... its just too loud: if they shut the doors and turn it down just a bit... would make me happy...

If it was a pub it would be shut down....
I think you got your answer when you complained a week last Thursday Magpie, when there were 4 community police officers on duty. That night there were 131 youngster in the club that night, 131 youngsters that weren't running a mock through the streets of Ossy. The noise levels have been monitored and are quite acceptable and as I've been informed your own daughter actually uses the youth club, so actually you have the opportunity to actually go along and give a hand and help to make that difference, god knows Martin keeps asking for positive input so now's your chance, you never know you may just enjoy it

Last edited by jaysay; 03-07-2009 at 16:24.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 17:21   #60
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think you got your answer when you complained a week last Thursday Magpie, when there were 4 community police officers on duty. That night there were 131 youngster in the club that night, 131 youngsters that weren't running a mock through the streets of Ossy. The noise levels have been monitored and are quite acceptable and as I've been informed your own daughter actually uses the youth club, so actually you have the opportunity to actually go along and give a hand and help to make that difference, god knows Martin keeps asking for positive input so now's your chance, you never know you may just enjoy it
Think your info is definately suspect there Jaysay seeing as Magpie's daughter is 30! Case of mistaken identity me thinks!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..