Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-09-2004, 21:53   #16
God Member

Re: Browser Woes?

FFS I really dont know why I bother some days

My comments where perfectly harmless and I was making a point that I stand by.. I DID NOT bellitle anyones first time eforts.. I wasn't even talking about first timers... YOU GOT IT WRONG.

But hey.. no big deal so long as your OK eh ?

sigh............
Old 14-09-2004, 07:22   #17

Calm down Kipax. I only explained how I read it and so explained why I replied what I did. You write something and read it how you wrote but sometimes think that for someone else it might not come over exactly same way.

Things written can be read different. Its not like talking face to face.

I took patience to explain that I misunderstood your meaning and told you how I read it. Now you taking offence at that. Who is the one here with no patience for others?

Do you even realise that some people dont know what a browser is and dont realise they can have different? They get AOL and Internet Explorer is with it and all they use is AOL cos they dont know there is anything even Internet Explorer.

Maybe I dont explain myself very well but Im not going to get offended because somebody maybe doesnt understand first. I will try again to explain.
Ifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2004, 07:38   #18
God Member

Oh right. So now you have decided I am upset and need to calm down.. your telling everyone who can read this message that I should calm down... ?? I dont need to calm down because I am calm... but thanks for telling the rest of the forum that I need to ... charming.. Any more insults you want to pass my way for posting a message you couldnt understand?
Old 14-09-2004, 09:03   #19
God Member

Ifty
To publish your site on the 'Internet' you need to put it on a webserver. To do this you ftp the HTML files and any dependants(images, stylesheets etc) to your webspace. Most webspace comes pretty much pre-configured. You can run your own web server if you like although you need Broadband at least and a static/sticky IP address. If you want to have a play without it costing you anything I can set you up a play area on my server at home. Not for commercial use, you understand and anything I don't like will be pulled.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2004, 09:11   #20
God Member

I think the answer is FTP
Ifty needs to look for an FTP program as he seems to know about web space

FTP = File Transfer Protocol (spello?)

Its a program that in simple terms will open two windows... Window A will show contents of your hard drive Window B will show contents of your web space. You enter the webspace name and your username and password as allocated by whoever gives you webspace... Then you simply copy your files over just like you would while moving files around your own HD

Files will instantly show up on your webspace
Old 14-09-2004, 09:17   #21
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Legally the site owner has to make the site accessible for all.

IE is well known for being broken on many of the W3C standards. IIRC there is a checker somewhere that checks how well a browser performs. IE5 gets 0/12, IE6 gets 1/12, Mozilla gets 12, so does opera.

A site should be tested in at minimum IE, Mozilla(Netscape) & Opera.

If it doesn't work equally well in these then you have not done the job right.
It wasn't inaccessible. It was only that some of the fonts which he'd chosen didn't show up as the same fonts when viewed through (by?) Moxilla. He had the fonts on his PC and I could see them on Internet Explorer but someone else using Moxilla saw them differently.

I must admit that I know very little on the subject and have simply gone along with the IE6 (I think) which came along with my PC.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 14-09-2004 at 09:19.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2004, 09:31   #22
God Member

Quote:
I must admit that I know very little on the subject and have simply gone along with the IE6 (I think) which came along with my PC.
Well I know a lot on the subject and thats my browser of choice as well

I also use Opera for when I am out and about with the laptop.. Its one click to make it not show pictures and thus speed up the pages which is needed when using a mobile phone... I also have other browsers for testing my work on (no I dont make websites) But my everyday browser of choice is always IE 3/4/5 and now 6
Old 14-09-2004, 09:39   #23
Resident Waffler

Do you have more than one browser on the same PC? I was wondering about possible compatibility problems and if any of them are likely to cause difficulties with AOL.

Don't tell me to ditch AOL lol because I actually like it although I have had other people tell me that alternatives are better. I like the new features on AOL9 and admit to enjoying the quiz rooms.

Old 14-09-2004, 09:49   #24
God Member

All browsers on same PC .. it doesnt matter.. just like you can have more than one of any software.

Can't say I like AOL but each to his own.. if it works for you then keep it.. thats the general rule

Like I say.. nowt wrong with IE .. its mostly people who hate Microsoft who are against it..... I dont use outlook or any MS email client or anythign so they cant integrate and hackers cant get at my email lists or owt
Old 14-09-2004, 09:59   #25
Resident Waffler

I've never used outlook express. Just a bit wary of AOL crashing if I download an alternative browser.

Old 14-09-2004, 10:06   #26
God Member

why would you want to? Most of the internet uses IE any slight differences in output would be minor and not much point... Unless you ahve a real need for other browsers (as I ahve) then stick with what works is my advice..
Old 14-09-2004, 10:21   #27
Resident Waffler

Just looking at the post which says it's a legal requirement for the site to be accessible to all.

Without the other browsers to check it through - how do you know?

I've got this silly little thing about the Arndale Clock but it's only created on AOL so I don't even know what, if anything, can be viewed by other browsers.

Old 14-09-2004, 11:17   #28
God Member

First off there are over a hundred different browsers... Theres browsers on set-top tvs, browsers on mobile phones and palm pilots.. browsers on atari and amiga and mac and other computers.... each have lots of different browsers to choose from

You dont check them.. you dont need to.. You make your website correctly and it will work on all. You use validation software or websites to find if its fully accesible.. ie http://validator.w3.org

It is NOTa legal requirement to ahve your website work in all browsers.
Old 14-09-2004, 11:24   #29
God Member

Quote:
Legally the site owner has to make the site accessible for all.
Thats what was said.. Accesible to all is not the same as work on all browsers.. The accesible thing is in the Disability descrmination act which has been out for many years but the accesible part comes into force this year.

It basically means a person who is say blind.. should have the same acess to any service you are offering as a non blind person would have.. This means a blind persons browser that speaks the contents to him must be able to read your page..

People who use things like FLASH for there websites will be in big trouble at this point as accesibility is about 1 on a scale of 1-10

But.. Its not really going to effect anyone unless your offering a service and a disabled person makes a complaint and that complaint is upheld.. which beleive me it wouldnt be in your case and most other websites....

BT, British Rail and companies like that however are going to find themselves with lots of complaints..
Old 14-09-2004, 14:53   #30

Ok I am going to ask because I genuinly want to know an answer.

That validating site doesn't validate the animated gif emoticons here. So what happens if a blind person wants to post on here? Do you mean they can do it but can't use emoticons? Does that mean they can complain?

Also if it has to be accessible by everyone how about private pages such as photo album and journal which can now be private or public?

I just realised Willow that is a link to your Arndale Clock.
Ifty is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..