Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2004, 23:36   #1
Junior Member+

Browser Woes?

Since I ditched Explorer for Opera, 2 years ago, I haven't had one instance of homepage hijacking, unwanted popups, unwanted diallers or anything.

Plus I haven't had to download security patches ever few weeks.

More info at http://browsehappy.com

Give those alternative web browsers a go, you'll never look back

Gary
we_the_people is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-09-2004, 10:07   #2
God Member

Re: Browser Woes?

Firefox, Opera, Mozilla, Konqueror, lynx, Galeon. Epiphany are what I can choose from on my laptop,

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 10:38   #3
Resident Waffler

My one grumble with Mozilla was that it didn't show true fonts which was a shame in cases where a web site or message board owner had gone to great length to create something unique.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 10:52   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
My one grumble with Mozilla was that it didn't show true fonts which was a shame in cases where a web site or message board owner had gone to great length to create something unique.
If a website designer has gone to any lenghts to make a website that only looks good on one type of browser then they shouldn't be making websites..

The WWW is for everyone.. not just PC owning Microsoft users
Old 13-09-2004, 11:18   #5

Thumbs down Re: Browser Woes?

People gotta start somewhere. I wanted to do one but no idea how. All credit to somebody who can make a start. Then you come along and say they shouldn't be doin it if they are not perfect.
Ifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 12:03   #6
God Member

Quote:
Then you come along and say they shouldn't be doin it if they are not perfect.
No I did NOT

I said if they made an effort to make it only work on one browser...if they went to any lengths to make it only work on one type of browser.. then they shouldnt be doing it

Have the decency to read my posts before complaining about them please.
Old 13-09-2004, 15:33   #7
Resident Waffler

The website owner I was referring to hadn't intended it only to look good on Internet Explorer. He had used IE when creating it and when viewed via Mozilla it didn't look the same. The fonts were not the ones he'd chosen to use. They showed up as something else.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 18:35   #8
God Member

Legally the site owner has to make the site accessible for all.

IE is well known for being broken on many of the W3C standards. IIRC there is a checker somewhere that checks how well a browser performs. IE5 gets 0/12, IE6 gets 1/12, Mozilla gets 12, so does opera.

A site should be tested in at minimum IE, Mozilla(Netscape) & Opera.

If it doesn't work equally well in these then you have not done the job right.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 19:38   #9
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
A site should be tested in at minimum IE, Mozilla(Netscape) & Opera.

If it doesn't work equally well in these then you have not done the job right.
Good comments. Personally I'd have put it: 'If it doesn't work ACCEPTABLY well in these then you have not done the job right.'

And I'd definately add Safari for the mac to the minimum list of browsers to check in.

Looks like I'm preaching to the converted here I was hoping to try and get people to give the alternative browsers a whirl.
Old 13-09-2004, 19:46   #10
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifty
People gotta start somewhere.
Ifty, this is where you start:

<html>
<head>
<title>title of your webpage</title>
</head>
<body>
The contents of your web page goes here
</body>
</html>

Then you spend several years learning about 'Doctypes' 'Cascading stylesheets' 'semantic markup' 'validation' etc, etc, (during which time you can guarantee that half your hair will fall out due to stress )

But it is worth it, it just takes determination and a bit of what I call 'The Meccano Mentality'

Old 13-09-2004, 19:49   #11
Roy
Administrator

Firefox is the one! everyone get down to http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ - this is currently the best browser out there (in my opinion). Especially if you are on 56k dialup, it renders the screen a lot quicker than evil IE. And accyweb works perfectly in it!!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 19:57   #12
Junior Member+

How about the Browsehappy link on your site Roy? Let the punters know that they don't have to put up with IE any longer?
Old 13-09-2004, 19:58   #13
Junior Member+

just a thought
Old 13-09-2004, 21:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by we_the_people
Ifty, this is where you start:

<html>
<head>
<title>title of your webpage</title>
</head>
<body>
The contents of your web page goes here
</body>
</html>

Then you spend several years learning about 'Doctypes' 'Cascading stylesheets' 'semantic markup' 'validation' etc, etc, (during which time you can guarantee that half your hair will fall out due to stress )

But it is worth it, it just takes determination and a bit of what I call 'The Meccano Mentality'

Thanks. I dont explain myself very well. I know how to do this and more but the bit I dont know is how to get what I make onto the internet. I know you get web space either some free or pay for one but how do I put what I make onto there?
Old 13-09-2004, 21:36   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
No I did NOT

I said if they made an effort to make it only work on one browser...if they went to any lengths to make it only work on one type of browser.. then they shouldnt be doing it

Have the decency to read my posts before complaining about them please.
Maybe I didn't read it right. This is exactly what you wrote

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
If a website designer has gone to any lenghts to make a website that only looks good on one type of browser then they shouldn't be making websites..
This is what I thought you meant:

If the designer has gone to the length of making a website then they shouldn't make it so that it can only be good on one type of browser. If they can't do that then they shouldnt be making a website.

That was just how it seemed to me that you were saying. What I was thinking was maybe thats all they know how to do by using the one they got and dont know yet how to make it work on others so just give em a chnace to start off learning and working with what they got and then they can learn how to do with others. I bet some people never even heard of other browsers never mind know how to get and use. You just get internet and go with what you get like when you sign up on AOL or something you get the Internet Explorer that comes with it. I never knew there was more of em.

Anyway I was thinking better to let somebody start with what they know and learn going along than say they shouldn't be doing it at all. Thats all. No big deal.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..